The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have quite a few reds coming up to desiccate and got approval from my buyers to have the option of using Heat on them if I want this year. It looks like the cool, wet forecast is going to be very bad for good desiccating results with Reglone. I'm almost thinking that the Heat/glypho mix might be better at bringing in the crop and I can spray it during the day instead of going all night with Reglone. Anybody have experience with Heat/glypho in the cool weather? What would you do?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I sprayed 80% on thursday with heat+glyphosate 40 acre rate + 1 REL. then the other 20% with reglone.. the reglone stuff still looks like its dried down big time but its rained almost every day on it... so I imagine it will all be ready at the same time anyways.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Heat and reglone are essentially the same type of chemical. Contact herbicide. For whatever reason, reglone works better in evening. It doesn't have to be at night. Weather also doesn't really play that important of a role, as long as there is sunshine at some point. Although my forecast highs of 15 coming, don't think heat or reglone is going to be great in that weather. Last year I sprayed reglone on flax sept 26 that we were waiting to finish but just wouldn't, it was not more that 15-18 those few days and the reglone worked great. Used high rate and high rate LI700.

Another thing to consider. Does the glyphosate do anything when you mix it with heat? I know you have to but I think it's a waste. If you think about it, glyphosate takes a while to move through the plant to get to roots to kills the plant. Contact herbicides like heat (and reglone/liberty) just burns everything it touches and is very fast moving through the plant. So how does the glyphosate get to the roots if all the green plant is dead?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Heat and reglone are essentially the same type of chemical. Contact herbicide. For whatever reason, reglone works better in evening. It doesn't have to be at night. Weather also doesn't really play that important of a role, as long as there is sunshine at some point. Although my forecast highs of 15 coming, don't think heat or reglone is going to be great in that weather. Last year I sprayed reglone on flax sept 26 that we were waiting to finish but just wouldn't, it was not more that 15-18 those few days and the reglone worked great. Used high rate and high rate LI700.

Another thing to consider. Does the glyphosate do anything when you mix it with heat? I know you have to but I think it's a waste. If you think about it, glyphosate takes a while to move through the plant to get to roots to kills the plant. Contact herbicides like heat (and reglone/liberty) just burns everything it touches and is very fast moving through the plant. So how does the glyphosate get to the roots if all the green plant is dead?
If you dont use glyhosate you need to go 30 acre rate, which according to buyer 40 acre rate is acceptable... but I have always used in tandem anyways...

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I've often wondered about this with centurion/liberty. However, consider this, dessicants like reglone and liberty and likely heat, don't kill anything, they just burn off the top growth. Glyphosate gets into the plant very quickly and I don't think it takes all that long to move down to the roots. Since the plant itself is not dead, the root system is still very much alive and can likely still continue to translocate the glyphosate throughout the root system even after the leaves have ceased activity.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I have used heat and glyphosate preharvest, on some lentils few years back when know one knew about it. Was lots of canada thistle and it smoked them, couldn't find one the next year. That tells me the glyphosate got into the plants before the heat burned them off. Also, I'm pretty sure heat will actually kill a plant, where as reglone will not, with the right conditions the plants can grow through it.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ended up trying some of both. Regloned stuff was really turning 12hrs later. Sprayed some of the Heat/Transorb in both hot and cool temps so will interesting to see how it turns out. Now that the weather has turned it might be awhile before we find out the results....

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is a follow up on the Reglone Vs Heat/Glypho evaluated 2 times:

Sprayed section of red lentils with reglone 1 day before the 6 day rain back at the end of august and sprayed 900ac with Heat/glypho 12 hrs before the 6 day rain. When I was able to harvest the fields 12-14 days later they were both ready to be combined. I did find the heat/gly went through the combine better, almost like all the plant was crispy whereas the regloned ground was still a little tough slugging in the low spots. Verdict on this trial was the heat/glypho was the winner because of better harvestability and hopefully good perenial weed control. However, I do not plan nor expect to have to wait 2 weeks to get into a field after desicating it.

Trial 2: Section of sprayed with reglone at night, half section across road sprayed heat glypho the next morning. We were into the Regloned field cutting dry lentils in 5 days, and those were cool/wet days to boot. The heat/gly ground stayed pretty green for 10 days, and was still green enough 4 days ago that I ended up respraying it with Reglone just to beat the frost. I did spray out about 20ac worth of Reglone on this half section 6 hours after the heat/gly app so I did have a true side by side. Verdict: Reglone clear winner in this one. Those lentils are still in the field, under another inch of rain/snow....

I think going forward, I will have to see how good the Canadian Thistle control is on the heat/gly ground next year. Unless I feel I got excellent control of this weed, I see no reason to use the heat/gly combo. If the fields are clean next year then I may use this treatment again in certain problem fields, but will generally rely on Reglone for most of the acres. In the past I have gone into problem fields with a shot of glypho followed by a shot of Reglone 5-7 days later and have had excellent results on thistle but tire tracks are always wider with 2 passes.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have a field of hailed out & pancaked lentils that hasn't seen the combine yet. Yeah -- they are sprouted and feed.... Crop was originally sprayed with roundup in August -- killed everything.

Problem is -- the 2nd growth lentil crop is very thick and green.

Thinking about combining it -- even though it is only a 5bpa crop at most.
Any view on the best way to get rid of the 3" high lentils before it is covered in snow?
Original plan of letting frost take care of it doesn't seem to be working -- it was 34 degrees celcius today!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.