The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is everyone doing for desiccation with glyphosate on cereals? Have been doing a little every year but this year we bought a draper header so will be straight cutting as much as possible. How much water volume? What equivalent rate of glyphosate do you use? Was droplet size or nozzle selection? For you AIM guys, do I use a teejet twinjet for coverage or a wilger single one for concentration? I have good idea on staging.

Last year I used 7.5 gallons water with 1.5L glyphosate and it did a good job. I would like to use 5 gal though.

Will be doing flax and fababeans too but will be using reglone for quick dry down and so I can save the seed. I guess if I want to save any wheat seed I will be using reglone on those acres too.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Just curious what rate and cost is the reglone?

I have little experience with desiccating but believe that 10gpa will give better results than 5. A single nozzle pointed downward would be better than twins???

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reglone rate I use is 15 acres per jug and 5L of LI 700 per 1000 gal tank, the cost is roughly $15 per acre I think though would have to double check.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
The reglone rate I use is 15 acres per jug and 5L of LI 700 per 1000 gal tank, the cost is roughly $15 per acre I think though would have to double check.
Thanks, might have to do this with my flax.....very uneven. That would be sprayer pass #5 for the year.:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,832 Posts
I do our wheat with 0.67L of 540g/L glyphosate @ 5 gallons and have had no issues. Faba beans need lots of water and I think you have to do a way higher rate of reglone then if you were only doing say peas, I can't recall for sure but I think you do 11 ac per jug on beans??? I have to check, this year I am going in with 20 gal of water on our beans they are a way better stand then last year

·
Registered
81 Posts
What is everyone doing for desiccation with glyphosate on cereals? Have been doing a little every year but this year we bought a draper header so will be straight cutting as much as possible. How much water volume? What equivalent rate of glyphosate do you use? Was droplet size or nozzle selection? For you AIM guys, do I use a teejet twinjet for coverage or a wilger single one for concentration? I have good idea on staging.

Last year I used 7.5 gallons water with 1.5L glyphosate and it did a good job. I would like to use 5 gal though.

Will be doing flax and fababeans too but will be using reglone for quick dry down and so I can save the seed. I guess if I want to save any wheat seed I will be using reglone on those acres too.
I use 1L of 540 with 7 u.s. gallons with a single ai nozzle running 85 lbs. Our goal is weed control equally or more than desiccation of the wheat. My thinking is the volume and pressure will get the spray down into the canopy. I would use more water but the 7 will cover one field in one sprayer fill. This has been working very well for us.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Using glyphosate on cereals is NOT dessication, it's for weed control only. Works best on poor short thin crops. Spraying that close to harvest is getting a bad rap, might be removed.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Using glyphosate on cereals is NOT dessication, it's for weed control only. Works best on poor short thin crops. Spraying that close to harvest is getting a bad rap, might be removed.
Wrong. It's for weed control also, but helps bring the crop in also, we do lots on our durum and makes for great combining with no green spots.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will be doing it for both weed control and speed up any green spots. Works just like the swather, more even drying.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I did a little last year with durum/chick peas/lentils instead of the reglone route. Was impressed with the job it did on cleaning the field, it was night and day difference this spring.

Think I sprayed 1.5 REL of glyph, with 8 gallons of water.

·
Registered
140 Posts
If you look in the book the registered rate for wheat, flax,peas, lentils etc. is only .67L/a of the 540g/L. Anything above that has the possibility of putting residue on the grain. I generally use this rate with 6.5 gallons of water and have had great weed control. Way better than post harvest most years.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have found if you want to go to 5 gal water put in a little extra round up. Seemed to work faster with the 1 liter acre than .67. So if you going 1.5 should work fine with five gal the local custom guy only uses 4 gal seems to work ok.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can go to 6.25 gal/ac and do a quarter at a time, that is acceptable and sounds like that's going to work.

.67L of 540 is 1L equivalent per acre, I see no reason why that isn't enough.

So now lets talk nozzles and droplet size. I can use wilger SR 03 or 06s or teejet twinjet 04 or 06 for that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Have found that a 1.5L equivalence works real well for thistle and dandelion control. Straight combining durum that has been sprayed works real nice. The straw chops up real fine and no green straw or kernels in the low spots.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Have been using 1 L equivalent on wheat, barley, peas, canola and oats for the last 25 years or more. Have settled on 6 gallons of water most of the time. Did use 10 gallons of water on some rank oats last year and found to have better curing on lodged areas. Have used higher rates of glyphosate in the past, but recently have kept within registration tolerances to negate any residue issues.

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
I did a little last year with durum/chick peas/lentils instead of the reglone route. Was impressed with the job it did on cleaning the field, it was night and day difference this spring.

Think I sprayed 1.5 REL of glyph, with 8 gallons of water.
who buys chickpeas that are sprayed with roundup?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts