The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: Did John Deere Produce the 70 Series to Fast??

I think you're right, to an extent. Change is good. Now, a change that really dosen't CHANGE anything is a little different, like you said. As for the production rate, i think they almost HAVE to go that fast. They made a limited run on cotton strippers this year because they were 800 units down in sprayers. That killed the boys down here, jacking up the price, and keeping us from updating at all, which is pretty important for cotton. And you can look at that situation in 2 different ways:
1. The demand is so high, they're selling out the wazoo etc. etc.; more power to them, thats great and everything.
or 2. They've got to make some adjustments to satisfy everyone, and keep everybody happy.

I am a DIE HARD green man, but it did get me a little angry when i had to sign for my 3 new 7460's, and i looked at that CHUNK of change i was handing over.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Huh? Am I missing something here, or what? Surely you CAN'T be just 14 years old and buying REAL tractors, or are you talking about replicas?

Something just does not add up.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Lol i guess the i in the handing over part should be changed to my DAD. This years fleet went for 210 a piece, whereas last year's was 170. Dont worry, went he put the words "buy" and "john deere house" together, you can bet my ears perk up a little.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Here's the two '07 machines we traded and the old 45 we got rid of as well, just in case you wanted to see.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts

May 22, 2008, 3:46pm, gleanerf2fan wrote:To me they spit them out too soon. All they did was some minor mods to the older 60 bullet. To me these should be called the 60 bullet II. Since they have nothing really improvements to call it another series.

I have not been around these bines to know whether there are any real 'growing pains" or not, but Sam, I do have to agree as to the outright re-naming of this entire series.
In fact, I've had several discussions with many on here and some of the dealers met in person, about this whole 50, 60 and now 70 Series thing. In my opinion, Deere's track record of having only ONE model designation or series lasting up to 9-10 years, INCLUDED MANY changes and improvements, some of which, even affected the overall styling of the machine. Adding the so-called "bullet" or tapered rotor, does not constitute the need to change from a 50 to 60 Series, any more than adding the "specialty rotor" changed the 1400 Series Axial-Flows.

The name game was a bit confusing for a while, combining both rotor and walker models under one umbrella series.

Still, an "STS" is an STS. As with Deere's prior generations, like model names that last for at least 9 years is most plausible, as well as practical for continued parts sales and availability.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts

These new models have a very significant change. They have Tier 3 emission engines, without which they couldn't be sold.

Now why we need to burn 20% more fuel to produce lower emissions is somewhat beyond me, but I don't feel up to that rant right now.

·
Registered
341 Posts

Deere changed motors in some of the 8X00 series tractors and never changed the model, so I wouldn't think the Tier 3 would be any reason to do so.

·
Registered
334 Posts

May 22, 2008, 5:48pm, harvester4life wrote: Combines are not made for someone to have them more then a year anyways .

I was completely unaware of that. I guess our 7720 is an engineering marvel....

·
Registered
5,381 Posts

May 22, 2008, 5:48pm, harvester4life wrote:..... Combines are not made for someone to have them more then a year anyways or they would last longer then that.....

Hmmm. I thought even custom cutters had greater expectations.
Sounds like you just have a rather low opinion of combines.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts

I was completely unaware of that. I guess our 7720 is an engineering marvel....

Shane, your Titan is not especially unique in this case. Most farm combines will be around for a good 25 years or longer, if well cared for. As for custom combines, many are kept now, an average of 2-3 years. Some still trade-in annually, but only because it fits their finance plan. It's not a reflection on the combines themselves.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It has recently come to my attention that there some quality control issues with the 70 series combines. I know of a few machines that are having leaky fuel tanks, bad water pumps, miss welded rims, hose clamps loose and diesel in the engine oil thus far in the harvest and the dealerships down south are already backed up in some cases a week due to lack of mechanics. Has anyone else been hearing anything? I think they tried to produce them to fast to meet demands and we'll see a lot of this. Let me here your what everyone else has found so I can be on the look out for it.

Title spelling corrected.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

From how i see it:

Deere is making new series machines too fast in general....they 60STS has been out for what 3-4years? Why can't they just add the components to the existing platform, keep it the same series?

Same thing with the 20series 4WD's, why not still call it a 9620 but with 585hp? There's little to be had if your looking for significant changes with most of the new machinery from deere. The 70 series got more operator upgrades, but not many upgrades anywhere else. The 30 series 4WD's got a sloped hood and some more HP...nothing revolutionary. The new implements are just some re-engineered pieces that are essentially the same design, just components altered some.

Deere needs to take a step back, in my opinion, and re-evaluate their "revolutionary changes" and look at the bottom line. Their last big change was the bullet rotor, and CCS systems. I Think the only reason their coming out with new series is the fact that they can sell it for more profits, which isn't bad, but atleast make the $300,000 combine worth the cost with useful upgrades.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Re: Did John Deere Produce the 70 Series too Fast?

Doesn't this make things easier? The 60 series combines had to be divided into bullet and non-bullet as well as a host of other changes as well as the 9600s, there were huge changes from the 1989 to 1997 9600 models. But how do would you tell them apart just looking at the machine? I think its great when they keep the model names current, but what is not great is when you have to pay tens of thousands more for a new decal. BTW we bought combines this year and just cause it says 70 on the side didn't make the price skyrocket. But thats not always the case.

·
Registered
894 Posts

You have just discovered the difference between a "marketing" company and a "product" company. There is no doubt that the green pen has become mightier than the sword it was founded with. If a model number change and a slight change in power and cosmetics, among a few other band aids here and there, are all that it really takes to excite perception of its market segment, then so be it, it's much cheaper than new product development. Besides, it keeps the stockholders happy as they perceive new products to be cutting edge and often a positive investment, distracting them from knowledge of needed updates, improvements, etc.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts

The entire STS concept was produced and put out on the market way too fast. Deere should have done a little more fine tuning before they introduced them. It seems they're still working a lot of kinks out with this design.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

Combines are meant to last a long time, but your gonna replace alot of parts overtime as well.

This is what i don't understand...Deere had the 9x00 series walkers for 9-10years, and by the time it was made for the 3-4th year it was flawless from the factory, they had all the major kinks worked out and the late model 9x00 are still desireable. All deere is doing, is using more ink on their stickers!

I know there's alot between 50/60 series that either doesn't fit, you need that adapter kit and you have this adapter kit, etc. They just baffle me sometimes, especially when i go to pull out the parts manual and truly see all the stuff that doesn't fit, won't fit, or deere wasn't smart enough to make swappable.

As far as the diesel EPA crap, it can be easily removed ;-)

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

Ya that's all Deere does is release flaw ridden machines without any testing or thought to what they are doing, all the while all other manufacturer's releases flawless top grade machines that never break down or have any quirks or kinks.

·
Registered
590 Posts

Well, jl12122000, it looks like no one else is having sloppy factory quality problems except you. Alex, you checking your customer's new 70s for loose hoses, diesel in the oil, no welds, leaky fuel tanks?

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts

We will be getting a number of them in and have to see if that is true. We had a couple last fall that worked GREAT.
Oh this is Marketing like Muddy said.
Muddy told me in a PM last fall Controversy Makes the World Go 'round.
Is that Muddy's Marketing.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts