The Combine Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
No way no how it’s easier shoveling with a steel shovel.
The extra weight helps with forward momentum....??‍♂?
Actually as weird as it seems, I too find a steel shovel easier to shovel with. No scientific data to prove it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Can remember oldest brother if it wasn't a #12 steel you were a *****, and it didn't matter if it was wheat, barley, oats and believe it or not gravel...... He was one material moving machine.

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
I remember when we were young, i was around 11 my brother 9, my dad would make us shovel in the bin while he had a beer between driving to town to unload lol, he would stand at the door pointing to where to shovel. like we wouldn't know. The auger was so short the engine was in the bin with us, LOL, try that nowadays. No mask, getting gassed. But the 59 was only a 1 ton so it filled fast. There was lots of breaks even when the old guys talk about shoveling into a double box with scoops it didn't take long.
But we got even, i joined the military, my brother moved to another city, dad bought a C-800 3 ton, mom was expected to shovel. Next a grain vac showed up, She hated that thing because the hoses were so heavy it was still hard work. Dad still stood by the door expecting someone else to do it. Worst thing was when you crawled out of the bin and took your first step right on a beer bottle and rolled your ankle.
Mom would get a real bitchy look on her face when you talk about farming, especially when dad talked how hard it was.
AH the Memories.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I remember the first bin sweep my dad had, it was gas powered, with the engine inside the bin and in my dads typical fashion the muffler was a piece of pipe with a 45 angle cut. Having that sucker running wide open inside a 19’ westeel was deafening.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Dad had 14ft westeels on concrete. Shoveling against concrete and a steel wall is a dream compared to cleaning out square wood bins. For some reason he decided to put up an wider one. Cant remember the size but it was a lot wider than the 14fts. You had to shovel grain a long way in those bins. Once you could get in them there was still about 500 bu to shovel. Finally got a bin sweep which helped. A few years later he put up a tall Behlen with a pit in the concrete floor. Thought I had died and gone to heaven.

When I bought some land about 20 yrs ago, it had no storage on it except for a big old wood bin with 4 compartments. We used it sparingly until one year we were short of storage and put yellow peas in it. Well try cleaning out something like that standing on ball bearings. Burnt it after we got it cleaned out and bought hoppers.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I bought my bin sweep right after I shoveled out 2-19 ft bins in 30+ C temps, you have to shovel the grain twice to get it to the auger unless you throw it, then you have dust. I drank a 2 litre bottle of water every tandem load.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I nearly forgot that I did get the chance to partially experience this phenomenon known as shovelling without a hoist.

Neighbor wanted to use his antique combine and to be authentic, he unloaded into his 1950 IHC pickup truck, with a factory pickup truck box. Which we then had the pleasure of shovelling out into the auger. Not quite the same as into a bin, but did give a new appreciation for the work involved.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts