The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is all diesel exhaust fluid equal or does certain brands of DEF give less problems. I am new to this fluid and wondered do you get what you pay for.? Is there premium brands of DEF. I have deleted most of my equipment but bought a low hour newer s series deere combine and expect to run DEF in it this fall. I wish all this environmental saving engine equipment was more dependable but its here to stay.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated. Also what type of fuel truck set ups do you guys have for field servicing DEF equipment. No way want to buy jugs of DEF.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I buy the cheapest tote I can find, believe it or not usually John Deere has the best price. Have a 12v pump and 20’ of hose and I load the tote in the back of a pick up at harvest for the combines. I leave the tote sitting beside fuel tank when we’re fueling from the yard.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Whoever you buy your farm bulk fuel from will sell the DEF. the delivery trucks have DEF compartment on them. I use a tote and they refill the tote as needed. I use Co-Op.
Tote probably more than you need for one machine but you can store it in the shed until next year.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Some coop have a bulk DEF pump.
we fill our jugs for 88 cents a liter..
Just for grain trucks..Tractors are deleted...

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
One neighbor had a lot of trouble with the DEF systems on all of his equipment. Turns out he had bought a large quantity of totes from a supplier and ended up with product that was several years old. I don't know if it had crystals in it or what he problem was, but as soon as he put new fluid in the tanks the problems went away. Its probably most important to keep fresh def around.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
keep it out of the sun. Fresh is best don’t buy more than 6 months at a time.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I think most def. is equal. The age is a factor, the fresher the better. Our S 670's are not hard on def. You could likely start with a barrel and hand pump. I think we would get by on a gerry can a day and fill when back in yard which is fairly often for us.
I buy the 1000l totes usually the cheapest way to buy it. Have the 110 pump so most of the year keep it in shop at a convenient spot to fill trucks and sprayer.
This spring bought a tractor that used more def so we'd fill def when filling with fuel. Had the def tote on fuel trailer than ran a cord to 110 plug in tractor or truck. Weren't sure what we wanted to do but that's what we did and worked out really well. So just purchased the one pump so far. Maybe just the 12V one would be better all around.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts