The Combine Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
Price increase is coming. Actually going up $.03/liter tomorrow. My delivery guy called me a few minutes ago and will have me filled up today.
Did he say this is the low? Not sure what the panic is on January 18.

So just where is this fuel for .60 like said a few posts back?
10 miles south of me...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Nm the taxes. The price of oil has been on a steady March up since it went down to 42ish a barrel. Think it closed at around 54. There talking 60-70

·
Registered
714 Posts
Think it quite well publicized that you buy marked diesel in February and you will pay for storage - just do it. Many will not.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Taking super b tankers from co-op typically saves 3-5 cents a litre here. Pays for storage pretty quick, particularly if you can find a huge single wall tank for cheap. I got a 20k gal one that some company was building for the oil field and went broke before they put outer shell on. If we do ever need second containment it’s actually cheaper to just build containment from what I gather (not as convenient I guess), or we’ll just convert it to water storage and bite the bullet on a 80k double walled tank I suppose. Not going to until they make us tho. Lots of used 400bbl tanks available from oil field that are pretty cheap.

·
Registered
695 Posts
2019 won't be too bad, starting in 2020 our diesel cost will go up substantially in my opinion. The group that regulates the shipping world has resolved to ban bunker fuel in ships and either expensive scrubbing equipment needs to be retrofitted on the ships to clean the exhaust or switch over to a cleaner fuel, which is diesel. From what I have read maybe 5% of the ships will retrofit to keep using bunker fuel, what is a large % of ships that will be using diesel come Jan 2020. Not sure what this will do to our price of diesel but it sure won't help it...

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Taking super b tankers from co-op typically saves 3-5 cents a litre here. Pays for storage pretty quick, particularly if you can find a huge single wall tank for cheap. I got a 20k gal one that some company was building for the oil field and went broke before they put outer shell on. If we do ever need second containment it’s actually cheaper to just build containment from what I gather (not as convenient I guess), or we’ll just convert it to water storage and bite the bullet on a 80k double walled tank I suppose. Not going to until they make us tho. Lots of used 400bbl tanks available from oil field that are pretty cheap.

At a couple of the last RB sales in Nisku 400 barrel tanks, which I think works out to 15,000 Imp Gal or 39,000 liters, were selling for 2,000 +or-. A few years ago they were 20,000. These looked like decent newer clean tanks but I did not look close. Would make a pretty good dent in most farms needs for a season. What if you store the fuel in 400 barrel tanks when it is cheaper and then after any contaminants have settled filter it slowly out to smaller tanks as you use it if the interior is questionable on these big tanks? You can get these tanks professionally steamed out too to have a known cleanliness level. Seems like secondary containment of a concrete wall or bin sheets would be a workable package. 45 years ago the drilling companies used rubber bladders for fuel storage in the arctic. You could get whatever size you needed like 1,000, 2000, 5,000, 10,000, 20,000,or 50,000 gallons each. Some of those bladder farms had 2-3,000,000 million gallons at one time. With no containment.

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
At a couple of the last RB sales in Nisku 400 barrel tanks, which I think works out to 15,000 Imp Gal or 39,000 liters
119.2 to 1
400 barrel would be 47,680.
Think Super B fuel tankers haul 40 cubes?

Bladders sound interesting, if no air wouldn’t storage quality be easier to hold?
Wonder if the no containment on a bladder still stands for code?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
119.2 to 1
400 barrel would be 47,680.
Think Super B fuel tankers haul 40 cubes?

Bladders sound interesting, if no air wouldn’t storage quality be easier to hold?
Wonder if the no containment on a bladder still stands for code?
After the last price war I stored diesel in the bladder for 2 years and it came out just perfect. If the bladder was inside a containment wall would it meet requirements? Cement wall 3-4" high with a steel roof would be awesome. Continental Rubber in Edmonton used to sell them. "What size do you want?" I would sell my 5,000 Imp gallon if anyone interested.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Looked up Petro Can website for Rack Price. As of today ULSD was 73.6 ( Edmonton ) 74 ( Regina ) and 76.1 ( Winnipeg ) . Local price for summer diesel .78 last week. Have to wait for a warm spell before they can deliver.

I think lots of people would be interested in increasing their storage but regulations are making it cost prohibitive. Not sure that a 400 bbl tank could get approived here without a bunch of mods and containment. Sounds like fuel companies can't unload into unapproved storage tanks or face penalties at least in Manitoba. Not sure what regs are in Sask or Alberta.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
In a slightly related item, why is diesel higher priced than gas at retail outlets?
Sometimes 20% higher.
Even thou diesel is cheaper to refine than gas I think it boils down to demand. Diesel consumption has gone up but refining capacity has not increased at the same rate as consumption. Its the BECAUSE THEY CAN THEORY!!!

The anomoly I saw was in Vancouver. Was there over the holidays. Gas 1.30 to 1.40 range where as diesel was 1.20 range.
My brother told me that he finally saw pump price of diesel lower than gas at some USA locations last winter.

He also told me the company he used to work for that had a construction and trucking division quit order dyed diesel because they were getting clear cheaper at the cardlock with their volume.

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
So do some mad max fuel tanker runs if it’s only 10 miles! How hard can it be! :22:
Actually a little pipeline would work perfect!

Looked up Petro Can website for Rack Price. As of today ULSD was 73.6 ( Edmonton ) 74 ( Regina ) and 76.1 ( Winnipeg ) . Local price for summer diesel .78 last week. Have to wait for a warm spell before they can deliver.

I think lots of people would be interested in increasing their storage but regulations are making it cost prohibitive. Not sure that a 400 bbl tank could get approived here without a bunch of mods and containment. Sounds like fuel companies can't unload into unapproved storage tanks or face penalties at least in Manitoba. Not sure what regs are in Sask or Alberta.
Do you have the link for the rack price?

Yeah in MB it's ridiculous thanks to NDP. For a bit I was having to get inspection every year, thankfully the PC's have backed off but not near enough. I think we should push them to align with SK and AB on a bunch of stuff, used dryers would be another similar thing. In MB if you want to take a tanker load of fuel you need a cement pad, containment, barrier curbs, etc. Also need approved double wall storage, not cheap. In MB we are at a dis-advantage in nearly every way to our Western neighbors, side-effect of left-wing governments over the years.:frown:

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Just think of all the benefits Swman of your former left wing government of being so environmentally friendly. After all as our Prime Minister says the environment and economy go hand in hand. I just about puke everytime I hear him say that.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts

We don’t need double containment. Even then it is probably still cheaper to build secon containment as transaxial mentioned than to drop 80k on a 50k l double contain tank. Look at almost any bulk dealer, all vertical tanks with a concrete wall around them.

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
Just think of all the benefits Swman of your former left wing government of being so environmentally friendly. After all as our Prime Minister says the environment and economy go hand in hand. I just about puke everytime I hear him say that.
Even the Progressive Conservatives in MB aren't very "conservative". I just spent half the morning sending emails to government MLA's on their proposed drainage policy that allows drainage if you pay $12,000/acre and they give it to Duck's Unlimited!!! Talk about sickening, giving money to those idiots to be able to use our own land!:mad:

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Even the Progressive Conservatives in MB aren't very "conservative". I just spent half the morning sending emails to government MLA's on their proposed drainage policy that allows drainage if you pay $12,000/acre and they give it to Duck's Unlimited!!! Talk about sickening, giving money to those idiots to be able to use our own land!:mad:

What's this about? I haven't heard anything about this.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts