The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very tempted to buy about 10000 gallons of farm diesel as it is going for $.47 / L. ..... Is it going to go up or down I don't know but I feel that fuel has been unmanageable over the last few years. I have close to 30000 gallons already at an average price of $.75 / L. What are your thoughts??

·
Registered
20 Posts
IMO I can't see fuel getting much lower than $0.47/L and even if it does drop a little more 47 cent fuel won't hurt you.

·
Super Moderator
3,211 Posts
I don't think there's much danger of it going up near term either.
It would have to be a contrary market for that.

Don

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
We're still waiting and only ordering as we need it, farm/economic collapse is just getting ontop of the hill, we're yet to really fall down it buts its coming and soon. Hopefully ground will be ale to be bought cheap again

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
If I had bought 30,000 at $ .75 then buying 10,000 at $ .47 is a easy decision. I doubt they will or can afford to produce it for much less than that.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Even if it can be bought cheaply, who can get a loan now?

·
Registered
76 Posts
The economic report I read showed fuel staying about the same till Jan 2010 then beginning to rise throughout the year till Dec when crude will be about 86 dollars a barrel. Shows a big jump starting in spring of 10 around 49 dollars a barrel then rising sharply afterwards. Just one report, however right or wrong it is.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
economics and future reports arent applicable anymore. Corn is supposed to average $3.65/bu this year too, and they said that last month lol. Analysts are about as good as meteoroligists for predicting things.

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
economics and future reports arent applicable anymore. Corn is supposed to average $3.65/bu this year too, and they said that last month lol. Analysts are about as good as meteoroligists for predicting things.
If analysts were any good they wouldn't be selling their opinions. They would be using them and getting rich.

I predict we will get some rain in the next 10 days. A bit of sunshine with some wind and a few calmer mornings in there. Expect a few clouds and spotty chances of snow in higher elevations. If you want opinion next week you can pm me for a subscription to my forecasts.
For grain prices, I predict they will change. If you don't like change, sell everything now!

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I filled my tanks week or so ago at .57. Could it go lower??, yup, could it go higher???? yup. But, to me, the important question is "Is this a GOOD price" and the answer was "yup". I only hold 2000 gallons and will need more later on anyway. I see it like if canola was at $15. Do you sell?? Regardless of what the price does tomorrow or next week, is $15 a GOOD price?. Yes I hear that the price around here is around .47 now, Doesn't make .57 a BAD price. Typically, the guys that want the VERY BEST price usually sell lower and buy higher because you never know when the "BEST" price happens until after the fact so when the price starts to backtrack, they hold off waiting for it to goo back to "the best price" and ride the price further and further away from what turned out to be "the best price". Like I always say, "you can't go broke by locking in a profit".

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
If analysts were any good they wouldn't be selling their opinions. They would be using them and getting rich.

I predict we will get some rain in the next 10 days. A bit of sunshine with some wind and a few calmer mornings in there. Expect a few clouds and spotty chances of snow in higher elevations. If you want opinion next week you can pm me for a subscription to my forecasts.
For grain prices, I predict they will change. If you don't like change, sell everything now!
Awesome post. Back when I was a grain buyer and a farmer would ask what the price of canola was going to do I would say that "I fully expect canola to trade on either side of unchanged." That was the extent of my price predictions.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The Analyst post is really good. :D

We have also seen very low Prices in GER 0.90€ per Liter this week. Usually it's 1,30€/l
Do canadians calculate in gallons or Liter?

No matter where you live, I think those are historical low prices... buy what you can afford and store.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts

We have also seen very low Prices in GER 0.90€ per Liter this week. Usually it's 1,30€/l

No matter where you live, I think those are historical low prices... buy what you can afford and store.
Well, for example we'll tell our fuel supplier to fill a 5,000 imperial gal tank but fuel is sold by the L.

Using $1.53 CAD to 1 € means .90€/L works out to $1.377 CAD/L. Wow, it was a real hit here when dyed diesel was just over $1 L.

I knew you had to pay more taxes but for there to be nearly 3x the difference that would be hard to swallow.

·
Super Moderator
3,211 Posts

Liter. Only one major country in the world still stuck in the Stoneage.
Your currency 1.525 of CA$ so your fuel 1.37 ish.
But normally 2.00 ish.
Very roughly fuel here has dropped to or by, 1/2.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Liter. Only one major country in the world still stuck in the Stoneage.
Your currency 1.525 of CA$ so your fuel 1.37 ish.
But normally 2.00 ish.
Very roughly fuel here has dropped to or by, 1/2.
Hey Don: 🖕

But seriously, I brought in 4000 gallons a couple weeks ago or 15,000 L as you backwards folks measure and it was $1.3 per gallon or $.343 per L (.49 CAD per L). Neighbor priced a full transport load at $0.8 USD per gallon.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Wow. Haven't seen fuel prices the same in Canada and the US in a long time. Usually our taxes are much higher. EDIT: I see that was a few weeks ago. Still cheaper down there.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey Don: 🖕

But seriously, I brought in 4000 gallons a couple weeks ago or 15,000 L as you backwards folks measure and it was $1.3 per gallon or $.343 per L (.49 CAD per L). Neighbor priced a full transport load at $0.8 USD per gallon.
Actually I think our combined metric/imperial system is more confusing than anywhere else. We buy fuel in liters but compare to an imperial gallon not U.S. so 15000 L is only 3300 gallons.

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
No matter what a person is buying or selling. If it seems like an extreamly good deal, it is. Just don't buy or sell way to much of anything. Way more than you can use of make. There is usaully a reason and it can reflect into everything else. Then the deal doesn't seem so great any more. That is my opinion.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts