The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all,
We are on the brink of finishing our combine trade. Question is which one should we buy? We have a 2004 and 2007 on hold; what are the differences between the two model years? Biggest issue right now is price, so we are trying to justify the additional cost. Any input valued. BAClair

·
Registered
289 Posts
There are lots of differences. 2004 was the first year for the 60 series and 2007 the last.
The 2004 is very close to the last 50 series year.
In 2006 JD introduced the bullet rotor and the 9.0l TIER III engine. There were also many, many changes in details. The parts book shows another serial number break going from model year 2006 to 2007. Some changes can be added to the 2004, many can not.
The bullet rotor will help the most in green stem soybeans. Many small changes have been done to the feeder house, the drum, the conveyor chain and of course the reverser. The 2006-07 models were available with the "high torque" feeder house reverser, which is about twice the size compared to the 2004.
The hydraulic valve stack came in totally new with the bullet rotor machines. JD went from pulse width modulated valves to proportional valves. The batteries have moved to the RH side of the combine just above the lower tailings elevator and have a main disconnect switch. The engine compartment grew about a foot longer and therefore has a lot more room.

This is what I can think of right now, but there is more.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Not sure, but I don't think that the high unload rate auger was an option in 2004 for the 9660, but was available in later years. This is one of the better options that Deere has.

If you are going to be doing a lot of acres with this machine and time is important, then the 2007 machine will slightly more capacity than the 2004 and may justify the cost.

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
I don't get concerned too much about the grain handling because the current Deeres do an excellent job of seperation and handling in my crops. The highest yielding crops in my area are 100bpa oats, not like 400bpa corn. I am more interested in feederhouse, header, and chopper, and unloading abilities.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts