The Combine Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried setting new to us 9770 in corn today. I have cm rpr concaves in. We were in 200 bu corn 18-20% moisture. My original settings were rotor 370, concave 27, fan 1200, Chaffer 20, sieve 18. I was having trouble getting all kernels off cob and cob in grain tank. Ended up with rotor 430, concave 27, fan 1000, Chaffer 19, sieve 14. Increasing rotor speed got kernels off cob and sample is ok now but losses are inconsistent. I under a bushel on a few checks but most are 1.5 -2 bu loss. I have chopper up counting losses in sq ft using chart. I am running 894 corn head (38" rows). I have ran from 4-5mph. I am not sure whether to run 5mph+ to keep rotor full or if that will make it overload cleaning shoe since I have general purpose screens instead of deep tooth. Might need to bump fan back up some. All suggestions are appreciated. I would like to keep losses under 1 bu/ac but realize I may have to accept 1.5-2. We had trouble keeping losses down on 9870 before this. Those with helpful knowledge please reply.

·
Registered
71 Posts
First, lets assume you've check how much is head loss. In that moisture of corn with an 90 series head, over half the loss could be happening at head. Second, where does the monitor say the loss is coming from? Third, what does a kill stall look like? When you do the kill stall, is one side of the shoe loaded heavier than the other? We found with the RPR we had to be conscious of rotor speed to keep shoe load balanced. Too much stuff on left side and we needed to slow rotor down and tighten concave. Too much stuff on right, speed up rotor. It's really helpful to have your shoe loss sensors split to read left and right instead of an average - really helps getting balanced. Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I usually shell a couple cobs and take a metric wrench and see find one that fits snug and start there for my concave setting, this is assuming your concave has been leveled and zeroed out properly. I have harvested lots of good corn at 22 to 24 on concave.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Did check header loss. I probably need to see if concave is balanced and level. Also will do a power shutdown to see if shoe is evenly loaded. Monitor shows loss from cleaning shoe and not rotor but I do not believe rotor sensor is reading because it never showed anything at all not a line.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did use metric wrench to get concave setting. 27 mm wrench fits tightly over cob in middle. At end of cob there is space as the cob is thinner near end. Should i tighten it some?

How do you split vision track to read each side separate? Not cutting again until Monday. I am going to balance concaves Monday morning and start over. Going to do screwdriver check to make sure separator loss sensor is working.

Thanks for help.

·
Registered
71 Posts
VisionTrack (70 series)
•RCU controller, address 116, change “1” to “2” to separate into left & right
•RCU controller, address 53 = left sieve strike count, 54 = right sieve strike count, 55 = rotor strike count....used to count "taps" with screwdriver to verify pad is working.

·
Registered
15 Posts
when setting concave, shell average size cob and measure in the middle with metric tape. add 2 mm to adjustment on command center. make sure the spacers are in the correct position on the separator grates. the spacers should be btw grates and hanger bracket. this is the #1 cause of cob in grain tank for us. probably need to run a little faster around 5 -5.5mph with 8 row head. usually set chaffer and sieve to high side of adjustment to start. we run the cleaning fan high usually 1300-1350. use the fan to blow out cob and trash and then we start closing down the sieve and chaffer to clean the sample. for your loss one shoe loss sensor bad doesn't affect the rotor sensor. when the loss sensors go bad they read really high then don't work at all. check loss on the ground to know for sure. when I demo combines normal settings are rotor 360, cleaning fan 1350, concave 24, chaffer 18-19, sieve 12. If the cobs are spongy then you probably need to squeeze the concaves down a little. if you are cracking grain slow down the rotor. some varities of corn have a brittle cob so eliminating the cob takes trying different things. with general purpose chaffer you might have to open them up a little more. hope this helps

·
Registered
71 Posts
This is not correct, it does not work this way. However theseoss pads do frequently fail. New axe replacement part number is better however. Text the pads. Frequently.
Having more time to think about it, there was not a connection between the sensors, but when I had a shoe loss sensor go, my self leveling system would roll all the way to one side - real handy for grain loss.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for help. I leveled concaves. I ended up with 350 rotor, 25 concave, 1200 fan, 19 Chaffer 19, sieve 13. I had under a bushel coming from combine when checked running around 5 mph. I settled in at 4.8 mph due to poor feeding and too much header loss running over 5. Both shoe sensors work with screwdriver test but rotor loss sensor does not. Is the sensor bad, or other things to check?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good idea farmer jones. If pad is bad, it will be simple fix. There is not any settings that could be selected where it does not use rotor loss sensor is there? I was just curious if maybe the dealership or previous owner had it like that on purpose.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Why? The two systems don't share data, wiring or controllers.
Don't know why. Didn't design it, don't know the guts, but I do know we were three for three - whichever side went bad, the SLS would roll fully towards it. Good enough correlation for me. Didn't take too long for grain cart operators to say we were puking grain out the back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.