The Combine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
II have Invigor T4510 canola which is supposed to be windrowed by a contractor. However I am worried he may not turn up on time as he also does hay and I hear he is running late with his hay cutting and baling. So if I can't get someone else at this late stage and he is late I am wondering if direct cutting is an option.
It is only 30 ha nice uniform crop but plant stand a bit thin I'm guessing it may yield 1t/ha (have not grown canola for 10 years). I have a flagship combine and a 36 foot 2052 front which is really a Macdon .It does not have a cross auger setup
Is it possible to direct cut canola with this setup? Or am I asking for trouble if I have to direct cut it?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I don’t know the variety you speak of. If your canola is super short you may be able to cut it. If your canola is a decent height it will be very difficult to feed without the cross augers.

·
Super Moderator
3,529 Posts
If canola not too tall it might work.
If you think you may grow canola in the future you may want consider an Upper Cross Auger (UCA).

·
Registered
235 Posts
Easy as piss, tilt the deck forward and set the reel to the least aggressive position. I wouldn't bother windrowing a 1t crop anyway. Don't worry about desiccating it either as a bit of green straw helps it feed. Been direct heading it for 7 years without a cross auger, at most I've chucked a couple of ratchet straps across where an auger would go

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.. I think plan A will still be to windrow the canola. However if i have to direct head it might be a bit frustrating but it is only 30 ha.
Interesting thought on seed varieties. There are probably not many varieties that can be grown in multiple countries. We used to grow Calrose rice which was an Californian variety

·
Registered
578 Posts
A 1t/ha crop is about 18 bushels per acre. You should be fine cutting that without a cross auger. Nick has it right, just tip the header forward. Its only 30 ha.

I wouldn't windrow it. unless it is not a variety resistant to pod shelling. Thin canola crops can shell out very easy when ripe and its windy, unless the crop is lodged.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Curious what does tipping the deck forward help? Feeding somehow I take it
It opens up the window to the feeder drum a bit more and it makes the crop push onto the belts to keep it moving without an auger. Get the angles right and it's night and day difference

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I’ll try again, with our canola usually being 5-6ft tall, we need the cross augers, tilting the deck forward does virtually nothing in the help feeding department.

·
Registered
415 Posts
ive been direct cutting canola for 5 years without a cross auger on an fd70 in 40-65 bpa crops and i dont think ive lost an hour total because of it. i have seen the opposite though were it bridges on the cross auger and actually feeds worse. i will say one year when it lodged from 5 feet down to 5 inches tall the combine with the cross auger could cut north south better then me but we just went east west and then i didnt have any issues. i think youll be fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
II have Invigor T4510 canola which is supposed to be windrowed by a contractor. However I am worried he may not turn up on time as he also does hay and I hear he is running late with his hay cutting and baling. So if I can't get someone else at this late stage and he is late I am wondering if direct cutting is an option.
It is only 30 ha nice uniform crop but plant stand a bit thin I'm guessing it may yield 1t/ha (have not grown canola for 10 years). I have a flagship combine and a 36 foot 2052 front which is really a Macdon .It does not have a cross auger setup
Is it possible to direct cut canola with this setup? Or am I asking for trouble if I have to direct cut it?
I have direct headed that variety before, it is good to direct head however it will be a bit painful with your machine. If it yields around 1.5tn/ha or better it will feed ok but it will be slow 2-3km hr and you may have to get out and jump on the centre draper a few times. Given it’s only 30ha I would give it a go

1 - 12 of 12 Posts