The Combine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

New to the website, often found myself ending up here after many google searches. Sorry in advanced if this question has been answered elsewhere, I couldn't seem to find it.

Anyway, we recently started getting into Canola and are pretty insistent on direct cutting it with our 9120 with a 40' 2162 head. The header has the cross augers on top. We seem to have issues with the Canola feeding properly and building up in the center of the header. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to set the header for Canola? Previously we have only harvested wheat and barley so we don't have much experience with adjusting the header for different cops.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
40' is a pretty wide cut of canola to gather. Sounds like the material is just fluffy and isn't moving, despite the pea auger. My only advice is to take a narrower cut. Say try cutting only 30'. Not sure if this is a case where heavier canola would feed better or not. We have good luck feeding heavy canola (60-70 bu/ac) with our 30' 2162. We don't do anything special to get it to cut, really.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have found when cutting canola don't take to much straw/stem, have your knife tilt all the way out and when you getting it feeding good stick to that speed,when it is cold it feeds heaps better to . It is frustrating but worth it. Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
So true, we have used forty and forty feet to cut canola, we find cutting it as tall as possible works the best for us

·
Super Moderator
4,681 Posts
Maybe "relax" the reel teeth angle a bit, can't remember what number.
Run the reel as far back possible, I even installed the center arm kit and moved the outside reel cylinders to the back position which pulls the reel back such that it just clears the upper cross auger.
Feels like funny way to run it at first but it eliminates shattering loss at the knife caused by the reel as reel engages crop behind knife and to can help auger feeding as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts