The Combine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just picked up a 760 from auction and can’t seems to get clean grain. We are combining wheat, rear concave almost closed front open about 5/16 as per book. Fan speed on high and adjusted deflector fan many ways with no results. I had seive closed and open and set to book with no luck. In my tank It’s full of tiny seeds and almost looks like dirt.

im trying to understand where should all the seeds smaller than wheat be cleaned out. Since the first seive right after grain pan goes directly to hopper. Is there anything that could be plugged between concave and first sieve?

the last was using combine to harvest canola, could something be changed or set that I’m missing? We ran our 750 in same swath with clean grain coming out.

·
Registered
140 Posts
You are describing Massey’s I would assume, I have 2 750’s and they are like you describe. I can set them identical for sieves, fan and deflector and one will give a sample clean enough to seed, the other is dirty as all hell, lots of chaff etc. My 852 will give a great sample too. I wonder if the fan on the dirty one isn’t running as fast and making enough wind to lift the chaff, maybe a bad belt or pulley. or if the beater is maybe running a bit slower causing the rest of the combine to run slower also.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry yes it’s a Massey. My beater speed in cab says 740, so I think that’s correct speed. I did notice a different main pulley on fan, it was a bigger pulley and he had canola labeled on it. The 750 had a smaller pulley, but I have no idea how this would make such a difference in dirty grain.
A56D32CD-46F9-4EC4-B54D-CF39D52704CF.jpeg

A59B4842-F4B0-4F99-9298-DCF3071B5906.jpeg

·
Registered
38 Posts
Check for broken blades on your fan, i've seen that on my 510... Also if the belt is wore and slipping.

·
Registered
369 Posts
need more info. wide spaced concave? or narrow? filler bars? round hole sieve? swathed wheat or standing? weedy or clean? you need all the wind a massey can blow then when you start blowing grain out the back start slowing it down.looks like you need a different fan pulley.

·
Registered
369 Posts
oh and running the back of the concave tight only burns extra fuel, you better have it thrashed by the time it gets there.

·
Registered
87 Posts
With the pulley on the fan on the 760 being noticeably bigger than the 750 fan pulley, your fan is just not turning fast enough. The canola pulley is to reduce airflow to not blow canola out. Wheat needs more air.
Most or all combines have no way of separating out smaller seeds than your desired crop other than blowing them out.

·
Registered
508 Posts
you need to change that pulley!! Your concave should be set at 1/4 front and 1/16 rear if your running a wide spaced concave and have blanks in the first 3 bars. 5/16 and 1/8 with 1 blank if running a narrow spaced.

·
Registered
508 Posts
put a tach on the fan shaft to see how it compares to your 750. fan speed should be set at 850 if sample is still chaffy increase fan speed till it cleans it up.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Oh Geeze that original paint on the cleaning fan belt?
From 40 years ago?
I too think you haven't got enough wind.
Not really sure why they would want to slow down the fan with a different pulley even for canola the regular pulleys were slow enough.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Max out air,front of Schaffer open the rest . 3/8 to 1/2, mid sieve 1/4 bottom 1/8. Tf you have white caps get it done at the front. Wind board all the way down and never move it again. New belt on the fan with smaller pulley, get a fan divider kit out of an 860. Concave zero at the back, closed or #1 0pen return check for untreated heads, should be next to none. Drive to load it drop rear beater 15 rpm make her smoke

1 - 12 of 12 Posts