The Combine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Irrigation is super stressful this year because of the nasty water in the canals right now. It may be nice to have electric rain during a drought, but sometimes pivots are just a lot of trouble. The problems this year stem from all the runoff in the reservoirs. Huge algae blooms and moss this year. Along with the general nasty-look water. Even with self-cleaning, rotating screens, we're getting a few plugged screens every day. Quite a few of our older screens have had to be replaced because they didn't spin freely. I'm currently living in fear of my cell phone alert that another pivot has stopped because of low water pressure! With this heat and problems keeping the machines running, we're a bit behind on the watering already.

We've gotten really good at quickly floating an intake with compressed air, cleaning them off, and then sinking them again--ours are all L-shaped intakes with the screen box pointing up on the end so that it can sit on the bottom of the pond and still spin freely. Tonight I tried something new, using a banjo pump to run water through the cleaning system without the pump running and that seemed to clean it pretty well, for at least a few hours!

All while trying to finish seeding dry beans and starting the wheat herbicide run.

Magnacide treatment starts in about a week which we really hope will clean up the water.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:) you have no idea!

Guess I'm wondering if others are struggling as bad as we are with the water quality. I am grateful there is water. Just wish I could get it on the fields.

·
Registered
888 Posts
So far no problems. I'm farther east from you and it seems we don't have as much water quality issues this way.
I have one of those rotating screens like you have. I'm thinking about replacing it with a riverscreen.
Very pricey, but from what I have seen they are superior in cleaning.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the future there's a very real possibility that we'll lose Magnacide altogether, which means even on a good year by July the canals and ponds will be pretty choked with algae, so what we're seeing now this year could be the norm some day. Makes me wonder what steps we'll have to take to deal with that when it comes. Maybe those floating river screens just might be required. Taber has been trying gabion walls to filter algae from the water.

Then there's also the invasion of the zebra mussel to eventually contend with.

Interesting times.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,747 Posts
At least yours are standing................

Attachments

·
Registered
740 Posts
Every area has unique challenges that others do not get - I always think how pretty those irrigation areas look with controlled water. Would be interesting on economics/legality of having whole bunch of blue stone/copper sulphate around areas where all the sucking is happening. Aside from killing algae may even get some benefit of bit more copper in water that goes on soil and not have any ergot issues. I put some of this into fertilizer blend this yr for first time to see what it may do.

·
Registered
888 Posts
In the future there's a very real possibility that we'll lose Magnacide altogether, which means even on a good year by July the canals and ponds will be pretty choked with algae, so what we're seeing now this year could be the norm some day. Makes me wonder what steps we'll have to take to deal with that when it comes. Maybe those floating river screens just might be required. Taber has been trying gabion walls to filter algae from the water.

Then there's also the invasion of the zebra mussel to eventually contend with.

Interesting times.
Why would we lose magnacide?

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've heard governments have wanted to ban it in the past because it's highly toxic to just about everything in the water and dangerous to use. But maybe I'm thinking of a different, more dangerous chemical that used to be used.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Wouldn't suprise me. As producers more tools are going to be legislated out of use. The snowflake/protest/greenie/let's ban everything generation is trying to put society back to the stoneage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts