The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We Haul and spread 3/4 inch crushed gravel yearly on our farm site and it is getting very frustrating how it seems to just disappear and every year we get new ruts and mud coming through . I’m looking for suggestions or things that you guys have tried that work to solve this issue . Am I using the wrong size of gravel? Maybe I’m spreading it too thin? Should I be investing in road cloth and keep the gravel and the dirt separate? I’m a little nervous on the cloth that it won’t last with superB in four wheel drives twisting in the yard, will the cloth just rip up?
Looking for suggestion

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
If you are just putting the gravel on top of the dirt, that's your problem. Best to get rid of the dirt first, built up with good clay and then gravel. Depending on how much money you want to spend, you could put fabric on top of the clay, then oversized rock, then gravel. It's amazing how the gravel will just disappear, we plan on getting a few loads every year just to try keep up. It's always a constant work in progress. Wet years like last fall don't help.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Stopped buying road crush yrs ago. Went to the next size up. They use it for the base under roads just before the crush. Think it is 1". Has less sand and rock, stays on top longer.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Like said above remove top soil and I won’t get anything smaller than 2” gravel. And not all gravel companies deliver the same product some bad outfits will bring a load of sand with a few pebbles in it and call it gravel.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
I've been dumping 1.5" for re rocking or maintaining. Building a base last year I dumped 5" then came in with 2.5-3". Probably hit more 2.5-3" this year there and hopefully move to 1.5".

Mine disappears pretty quick too.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Bordering my yard was a low spot the wife called a swamp. Was never dry enough to even get a tractor thru. I stripped all the top soil off and put some drainage tile down the natural low point. Covered it with fabric then a foot of crushed 3 inch down concrete topped off with inch down crushed lime stone to make it look pretty. It all slopes to a field drain. Been there three years now and no signs of sinkage. The fabric is the best money you’ll spend but under it must be sloped to drain and not create a basin holding water.

·
Registered
527 Posts
First question, is it good gravel. The closest stuff out my way is at best 15% gravel and the rest is sand and clay, spread it out and poof it disappeared, good gravel lasted a lot better and yes you need a good base.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Im assuming you farm in the red river valley your best off waiting till its dry, if you want a perminant driving yard be ready to spend big money, we have 4-6 in crush concrete under our limestone then filled it with 11/2 down limestone. You can drive a loaded super b on it after 2 inches of rain and it wont move, but then again itll cost you time and money, theres no other solution in the valley it seems

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
When we bought this place there was no gravel to speak of on most of the yard. Where there was gravel it was pit run brought in to firm up the base but no finishing gravel on top and muddy due to dirt falling off equipment for years with zero maintenance . I decided to "do it right" and put down geotech then topped that with 3-4" of 3/4" crush. What a mess. I ended up having to remove all the geotech (not fun) then respread the gravel. I later learned that to use geotech properly, you need AT LEAST 8" over top of it. Now, I just go over the yard with a chain drag when it starts to look lousy and it brings the rocks to the top and puts any clay/dirt underneath. An hour or two with the drag and it looks like i just had $10,000 worth of gravel hauled. This maintained the yard for about 8 years. I just put a new lift of gravel on last fall again. The chain drag is just the track chain from a D8 cat with the links welded together with the last link on each end left to pivot and pulled by those loose links to keep the drag on edge. It works awesome but if you have quite a few ruts with clay showing it can take awhile. At first it appears that you aren't even scratching the surface but within a 1/2 hour or so it starts to slowly loosens up the surface and will pull up the rock.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
If you’re are going to use Geo-tech cloth make sure you do it right and bury it deep enough, otherwise you will have a terrible mess when you start hooking it when maintaining yard and start pulling it out of the gravel.

·
Registered
28 Posts
When we bought this place there was no gravel to speak of on most of the yard. Where there was gravel it was pit run brought in to firm up the base but no finishing gravel on top and muddy due to dirt falling off equipment for years with zero maintenance . I decided to "do it right" and put down geotech then topped that with 3-4" of 3/4" crush. What a mess. I ended up having to remove all the geotech (not fun) then respread the gravel. I later learned that to use geotech properly, you need AT LEAST 8" over top of it. Now, I just go over the yard with a chain drag when it starts to look lousy and it brings the rocks to the top and puts any clay/dirt underneath. An hour or two with the drag and it looks like i just had $10,000 worth of gravel hauled. This maintained the yard for about 8 years. I just put a new lift of gravel on last fall again. The chain drag is just the track chain from a D8 cat with the links welded together with the last link on each end left to pivot and pulled by those loose links to keep the drag on edge. It works awesome but if you have quite a few ruts with clay showing it can take awhile. At first it appears that you aren't even scratching the surface but within a 1/2 hour or so it starts to slowly loosens up the surface and will pull up the rock.

Same here
Set up a new feed alley a few years ago, put down geo-cloth then 6” of 1”crush.
Was good for the first spring, then after a couple of wet springs it became a sloppy mess, just sink down thru the gravel
The good news is the dirt isn’t mix with gravel but think I should have used bigger rock and more of it

·
Registered
542 Posts
I started buying 3/4 crush and it always disappeared, I switched to 1.5” crush and much better results, will never buy less than 1.5” again (1.5” crush means the largest stone will be 1.5”, lots is smaller).

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
It was posted above but you still have to have good drainage or it will probably be even worse.
Everything we brought in last year was 2” sub base. It looks really coarse but once it’s packed it just looks like road gravel.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I think 3/4 inch clean limestone is the best. Its expensive without the down but when yard is wet , you dont get the dust and down sticking to everything. I wish I used that from the beginning. I used 1/4 down and although when conditions are dry it smooth and hard like concret , but when it gets wet or some dirt on it , it will stick to every thing.
I would go with 3/4 inch or 1 inch clean limestone if you have a local pit.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think 3/4 inch clean limestone is the best. Its expensive without the down but when yard is wet , you dont get the dust and down sticking to everything. I wish I used that from the beginning. I used 1/4 down and although when conditions are dry it smooth and hard like concret , but when it gets wet or some dirt on it , it will stick to every thing.
I would go with 3/4 inch or 1 inch clean limestone if you have a local pit.
the clean is more money but if u dont need the down in it you get way more gravel clean per tonne the down weights alot

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Guess I should be glad my great grandpa homesteaded on a hill with stones. Just wish there was gravel under it instead of stones.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts