The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeded L130, 5440, and the 720$ a bag L140p.... All seeded the same day and fertilized the same

Now take a guess what one still has not started to flower, also the slowest one to compete with the weeds and I bet the lowest to yeild:mad:

For 72 dollars a acre I want to see better results then what I have seen, my rr even looks better than it and was 480 dollars a bag...

Also very disappointed in liberty, sprayed three weeks ago at full rate, turned all weeds yellow for a week but does not kill them, had to respray again and now canada thistle patches showing up on 140... With so sad to bad from Bayer rep... His reply... Liberty has not seen no good growing days to spray it last three weeks.... What a load of crap!!!

At wits end with liberty and Bayer, get a dam chemical that works:confused:

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
I have had some really good kills from Liberty this year, but one field in particular or part of it is terrible. Sprayed in the middle of the day and the stuff sprayed that morning and evening is fine???

It's almost like there was something wrong with that barrel. Thing is, guys kind of expect it not to work sometimes. I wonder if they ever compensate for product not working?

My L140P looks very similar to the other varieties, possibly a bit less leaf area. 252 looks the best so far. Your L140P should have it's payoff at harvest.;)

·
Registered
331 Posts
Seeded L130, 5440, and the 720$ a bag L140p.... All seeded the same day and fertilized the same

Now take a guess what one still has not started to flower, also the slowest one to compete with the weeds and I bet the lowest to yeild:mad:

For 72 dollars a acre I want to see better results then what I have seen, my rr even looks better than it and was 480 dollars a bag...

Also very disappointed in liberty, sprayed three weeks ago at full rate, turned all weeds yellow for a week but does not kill them, had to respray again and now canada thistle patches showing up on 140... With so sad to bad from Bayer rep... His reply... Liberty has not seen no good growing days to spray it last three weeks.... What a load of crap!!!

At wits end with liberty and Bayer, get a dam chemical that works:confused:
yup all but done with ll canola . just growing a bit here and there for chem rotation . not a good spray and always have rr canola outyeilding it

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
yup all but done with ll canola . just growing a bit here and there for chem rotation . not a good spray and always have rr canola outyeilding it
Think we are going to join you on that boat. We grew it for a long time when it first came out and then we quit because of the lack of control we were getting from the chemical. Decided to try it again this year and I don't think much has changed even with two passes totalling 3 litres of liberty and centurion both times at 40 acres a case. The only good thing I like about it compared to RR canola is that it sure comes out of the ground quick and gets it covered, but I still don't think it is worth the hassle of using liberty as a chemical.

Also had one barrel of liberty that was off color compared to our other barrels. It was extremely lighter in color.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I've never been able to figure out how some guys can make one system work for them but others can't. My neighbour only grows RR canola. Any time he tries LL, the RR beats it by 10bu/ac. On our farm, the LL beats the RR by 10-20bu/ac. Neither of us can figure out what we are doing wrong!

Anyway, back on the topic of L140p. We seeded 2 fields to L140p, and they are much slower, but they were seeded about 4 days after all the L252 and 5440. 2 leaf right now and just got their first drink of Liberty on Wednesday.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I agree with swman and Andrew. I have excellent luck with liberty. It takes a different mindset to grow it and many some aren't willing to do it. My fields look awesome.

·
Premium Member
5,967 Posts
We ended up with a couple bags of 140p. The 140p seems to be growing a little faster and more aggressively than our L130. It seems with liberty you need small droplets and lot of water to get control. On the edges where we dropped the pressure and increased the droplet size for drift the control of the weeds was much poorer. It also look like the wild oats and weeds need to be on the smaller size. Wild oats that are 4-5 inches tall and thick will be hard to control with liberty. With the threat of roundup resistance around the corner and our use of roundup as a desiccant in our lentils, we will be sticking with the liberty link canola to get another chemistry in our rotation.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
We ended up with a couple bags of 140p. The 140p seems to be growing a little faster and more aggressively than our L130. It seems with liberty you need small droplets and lot of water to get control. On the edges where we dropped the pressure and increased the droplet size for drift the control of the weeds was much poorer. It also look like the wild oats and weeds need to be on the smaller size. Wild oats that are 4-5 inches tall and thick will be hard to control with liberty. With the threat of roundup resistance around the corner and our use of roundup as a desiccant in our lentils, we will be sticking with the liberty link canola to get another chemistry in our rotation.
Agreed. RUp gets used all over the farm. From burn off, to chemfallow, to desiccation. Really don't want to use it for much else, resistance is coming. One of the most useful herbicides on the farm and don't want to lose it. LL may not be perfect, but it's your few chances in a rotation to use a different group of chemical.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Has any one tried the product that is being advertised, it is suppose to warm up the affect of liberty by 10 degree in temperature?

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
Add 1 lb/ac of 28-0-0 to your liberty. then spray it at 15-20 gpa. It'll clean up the field really good.

When we used to have the spray air system... just turn up the air velocity as high as it'll go and put on a fog at 20 gpa. It would roast everything but the canola, and so well that a week after there was no trace of a weed left.

We had a mess with L130 this year... one quarter were the drill had issues... some spots nothing, some are up at 10lbs an ac. and on top of that got caught with rain and no preseed/pre-emerge spray on it... Canola looks good but what a mess. Will see what Liberty will do to it in 3 days.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I agree with swman and Andrew. I have excellent luck with liberty. It takes a different mindset to grow it and many some aren't willing to do it. My fields look awesome.
Please share some of your secrets! I dont have a problem with my Liberty canola but Im always looking to get better. And Christian....tell us more about adding 28 0 0 to the tank mix....have you done this more than once? always works?

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Lots people add ams to the water and that is supposed to help. Adding the select will help as well as the surfactant will make the liberty work better on all weeds. The most important thing is NOT water volume. I don't care if you spray at 30 gpa. If you aren't aren't using nozzles that produce all medium to fine droplets you might as well just switch to rup now. Liberty needs excellent coverage not high water volumes and high water volumes does not guarantee good coverage. I spray liberty at 7 gallons per acre and it works great.

I will not ever be using roundup canola for resistance management and volunteer issues in soybeans.

·
Premium Member
5,967 Posts
Mbfarmer I completly agree with you on the droplet size. It seems like the finer the droplets the better. This means that you need to have a calm or low wind day to do a good job.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Please share some of your secrets! I dont have a problem with my Liberty canola but Im always looking to get better.
I don't claim to have any secrets. I just try to stick with their best practices as much as possible. Spray only when warm, above 20 degrees. Use label rates. Use min 10 gal water. Use high covers nozzles with medium droplets (no bigger than 300 vmd), most coarse sprays are no good (if weather conditions allow). I will wait for a less windy day, spray window is big. If you have grassy weeds, need to add centurion or equivalent at least 80 acres per case, up to 40 per case if bad. Do a 2 pass system once when canola is small. Tried adding ammonium sulfate this year couple days ago to see if that makes a difference, too soon to tell yet.

Using the teejet twinjet turbos this year and amazing coverage.

·
Premium Member
5,967 Posts
Nicemustang that is an amazing nozzle. This nozzle is the best kept secret for AIM command. There is not a dealer out there it seems that knows anything about them in our area. All they know is Wigar. How much pressure are you usually using with them?

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Bussard, what do you mean by "My RR even looks better'? Seems you've fallen for the creative marketing and assume liberty link is better then RoundupReady canola.

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
Mbfarmer I completly agree with you on the droplet size. It seems like the finer the droplets the better. This means that you need to have a calm or low wind day to do a good job.
Actually in the Sask chemical book, they recommend a medium to course droplet size. We had some issues with our liberty control this spring and the first thing the rep said was that we were using to fine of a nozzle. I was using the brown twinjet JD nozzles around 40-60 psi at 10.3GPA. The number on them is PSTAQ 1005.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
12-15 gallon per acre, guardian twin air 06's. Push pressure up to 60-70lbs to make a good fog. Try not to spray on heavy dew mornings, but you have to do what you gotta do. Liberty sucks. Set your expectations accordingly. We grow mostly 5440 and we always get good plant competition. If there is a lot of wild oats, we spray early with clethodim at 40ac/case, then liberty a week later at 1.35L/acre. Never two pass liberty (probably from using a lot of preseed burnoff) We Used 4 totes and a few barrels this year. There was a big difference in colour in all of them and I don't remember liberty every being as thick as it was this year. It all worked great for a burnoff but I would never expect season long control. Just set it back untill 5440 puts it all in the shade. First time grower of L140 and so far not too impressed....

1 - 20 of 74 Posts