The Combine Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Flexi Coil 5000 and I'm using Dutch paired row openers with NH3. 9" spacing 3.5" paired row opener and 5.5"packers. I find that in my heavy soil that the seed furrow is not closing. I am considering putting disc levelers on to close the furrow.

I will be seeding directly into soybean and pinto bean ground and I'm a little nervous that I'm going to be pushing a lot of straw or piles of trash into the furrow and not get good seed to soil contact. Looking for opinions from people who have direct seeded right into these conditions.

The other option is to go with a drill that has mid row banders like a JD 1835 or Bourgault with MRB's

·
Premium Member
5,565 Posts
Good disc levellers will not push piles of straw into the furrow. The only time they push straw piles is if a lump of straw plugs In front of the shank and levelers and rolls off. Some levelers are better than others. We run the farm land levelers built about 10 years ago. If you have lots of straw then seed between the rows or 90 degree to last year. We have run them through a lot of straw and have had not too much problem unless there is a pile of straw and lots of mud. They will help close the furrow and there will be the same soil cover behind each shank. We seed at 6-6.5 mph with them even in canola.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts