The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
God forbid I make money this year...I would like to update seeder...was originally thinking just a newer version of what I have...but depth control or contouring ability will be the same...the issue of soil throw on narrow spacings will be the same...so have started to think about a disc seeder....I looked a 1590 JD the other day...was wondering is the spring tension enough for them to individually follow the ground? Or much the same as a tine machine...not alot of choice here in AUS as tines have always been flavour of the month...unless I win lotto I won't be up at BOSS engineering anytime soon...

Just wondering about some options.....

Ant....

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spacings Gav? I can get air carts cheap...plenty if them around...nearly cheaper to set up a mini air seeder than find a disc seeder combine style...

Or import something?

Ant..

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Keeping in mind that I am a half world away from you and my climate and soils are likely as different as night and day, the one thing I will say from my perspective having a 1590 (modified for my area) and several hoe type drills now, I would never have only a disk drill again. Remember, I am in a completely different world here.

But you are right, depth control, or lack of it, is costing you money. This spring I had the chance to run a paired row opener on my strip till machine with independent depth control and my rigid frame spring tine drill in side by side fields. Both the radish and the wheat crops using the strip till machine for seeding, are looking better and more even, though they both look good, than the fields drilled with the rigid frame. Depth is the reason. Where I had uneven terrain, the deep seed of the rigid frame came up late and somewhat weaker. And the shallow seed germed and dried out. The seeding with the strip till bar came up even and is looking awesome.

I can go thru any residue with the hoe opener and not have any residue tucking or hairpinning as many call it. But when conditions are right (for my area) and I can get the 1590 to cut the brittle residue and close the seed slot, the 1590 is priceless.

The other disk drill opener that I have been looking at since I want to build my own frame and deliver the product with air, is the Amity Technology disk opener.

Again, I know this may not address your question directly as I am a long way away from you, but I wanted to speak my piece on the disk drill vs. hoe having run both and also now having run the hoe on a independent depth system. For my area, I want both, or if I have to choose only one, it would be the hoe drill on independent depth control.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks DK...I will still keep my tine machine...or upgrade it at some point to have better trash flow...however I don't really seed into much trash at this point...it gets to wet down here and I bale all my straw...

My ideal set up and what I will work towards is having a independent disc bar and independent Tyne bar...with one air cart matched to both...so I can then choose what I use ...but still keep,all the same monitors etc in cab....I'd rather have a smaller width and choice of both than a big machine....mistakes down here are costly with the weather....and there is some money in sheep or cattle...so cropping not the only trick in the hat...

What is a 1590 like in worked up soil? Do discs stop turning ? Or best in a no till situation...some times I may have to give a light working to iron out wheel tracks etc...or do select areas for levelling...etc

Ant...

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Thanks DK...I will still keep my tine machine...or upgrade it at some point to have better trash flow...however I don't really seed into much trash at this point...it gets to wet down here and I bale all my straw...

My ideal set up and what I will work towards is having a independent disc bar and independent Tyne bar...with one air cart matched to both...so I can then choose what I use ...but still keep,all the same monitors etc in cab....I'd rather have a smaller width and choice of both than a big machine....mistakes down here are costly with the weather....and there is some money in sheep or cattle...so cropping not the only trick in the hat...

What is a 1590 like in worked up soil? Do discs stop turning ? Or best in a no till situation...some times I may have to give a light working to iron out wheel tracks etc...or do select areas for levelling...etc

Ant...
Sounds like an awesome plan. We are heading for pretty much the same thing. Use the air carts we have and be able to hitch to any drill config we feel will fit the needs of the weather, soil, and residue load.

I use the 1590 in all conditions. No-till, min-till, and full on conventional tillage. It works awesome in min-till and conventional. You just set the down pressure to minimum and reduce the spring pressure on the closing wheels and you're good to go. I do not set the depth wheels so close to the disk to stop it from turning. I shim them just a bit so they pretty much rub the disk most of the time, but not so much to stop the disk. This is a double edge sword as when the morning dew is on or if I try to run it in muddy conditions, it will block up pretty quick. But since I learned that those conditions are when the disk drill does not work for me anyway, I use the tine drill then and leave the disk drill setup for the drier conditions.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
This is a double edge sword as when the morning dew is on or if I try to run it in muddy conditions, it will block up pretty quick. But since I learned that those conditions are when the disk drill does not work for me anyway, I use the tine drill then and leave the disk drill setup for the drier conditions.
We had a 750 and it was a nightmare for mud. If a **** pissed in front of you it would plug a gauge wheel. I will second that those openers work in all tillage conditions. Seemed like it had a healthy appetite for bearings on the discs and gauge wheels. Also it doesn't like sharp curves, it's much better suited to back and forth work. The opener is essentially the same as 1590.

·
Banned
1,040 Posts
Spacings Gav? I can get air carts cheap...plenty if them around...nearly cheaper to set up a mini air seeder than find a disc seeder combine style...

Or import something?

My ideal set up and what I will work towards is having a independent disc bar and independent Tyne bar...with one air cart matched to both...so I can then choose what I use

Ant, you've got money, farmings meant to be fun- I reckon you import some pillar openers and fit them to a frame and let the rest of us know how you get along with them :D.
Surely another trial won hurt... ;):)

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ant, you've got money, farmings meant to be fun- I reckon you import some pillar openers and fit them to a frame and let the rest of us know how you get along with them :D.
Surely another trial won hurt... ;):)
I have money??....I am paying out on divorce at the money...I don't have two bob to rub together.....and when you can only afford old gear I don't find it that fun...will be taking the wine bottle with me back to the farm in a minute...

As for trials...I'm putting in faba bean trial this arvo....have to have a crack at innoculating for first time

Had agro out this morning ....wheat pop is 300 sqm....once u take in poor germ and wetted areas probably average 250 I guess....crop is at G21 6weeks from sown...second tillers coming on now...will take some pics this arvo...when sun shinning of course so it looks better than it is !!

Ant...

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
I have money??....I am paying out on divorce at the money...I don't have two bob to rub together.....and when you can only afford old gear I don't find it that fun...will be taking the wine bottle with me back to the farm in a minute...
Ant...
There is a few imported wives running around here, don't think the up keep is any less even on a late model one.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So true MS so true....well a disc seeder would have been handy this arvo as the old MF55 don't like Rana faba beans..however I ordered Nura...the agro brang Rana...I knew I couldn't sow these as I tried last year with no success...I tried sowing them but the odd row wouldn't fire...so I swig the wine bottle for some ideas and thought may as well just toss the whole 50kg out by hand which is the equivalent to about 250 odd kg/ ha...I plow them in with the 55 a few times ...sunk most of them...then got the roller and gave them one pass to hydraulic them into the soil...will spray is azide tomorrow morning over the top...

Show me the money.....

Ant.....

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am favouring the Barton design at the moment; there are some modules for sale here BARTON DISC OPENERS for sale | Trade Farm Machinery, Australia . I would like a 12m bar on six inch spacings. You could mount these under a combine with an air kit to blow to front ranks to fit in the spacings.
Nig...it would be cheaper to adapt an old bar in my case...even if I found one and pulled the wings off..until god forbid I get more horsepower...they look simple enough...a bit cheaper than BOSS DX ....

Ad....There is a guy around murtoa/rupanyup area that has a pillar...it was at Horsham field days last year...think I passed one of his crops the other day as it looked like it had been done with a disc...from what I'm hearing alot looking at disc seeders as to lower disturbance hence less disease pressure...that pillar looked like it was built by the army....if u bogged it you would be harvesting around it...

Might look in NZ farm trader website and see of any cheap seeders there...

Ant...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Ant,

why disc and not parallelogram tyne? what row spacing are you on currently and planning on going to?

From what I've read, discs limit ability to incorporate herbicide etc and a lot of people over in sa went to disc then eventually went back to tynes because of problems with hair pinning, herbicide incorporation and excessive maintenance etc.

Even though I've poured a lot of time and effort into my new machine, I would like a parallelogram tyne or at least a level lift flexicoil bar but getting transport width of one of these machines to under 4.2m is near impossible. I saw a narrow fold morris with a 8m sowing width but can only get it on 10 or 12" spacings and can't justify the $200k price tag. Any row spacing of 7" or less is good down here.
Cheers

1 - 20 of 111 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.