The Combine Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon! again here consulting the experts. Has anyone replaced the straw chopper with a discharge beater on a Case ih 9230? I have the need to make this replacement to be able to more evenly cover the soil with crop residues. Any picture? Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Why don't you just run the chopper in low speed & then install a deflector on the back of the discharge beater floor (RHS) to even up the flow of material to the centre of the spreader system?

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,717 Posts
It’s going to cost you a small fortune.

Like Rod said, chopper in slow and dead knives down and you will get very similar lengths of straw to a beater.

I had Two flagships side by side last year making stubble Hay and you couldn’t tell the difference in the straw. One was a beater, one a chopper.

There may be a problem at the spreaders if your not getting even distribution.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Muy interesante tu alternativa, tienes foto del deflector que habría que colocar en el piso del picador para enviar el material al fondo de la cosechadora?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Why don't you just run the chopper in low speed & then install a deflector on the back of the discharge beater floor (RHS) to even up the flow of material to the centre of the spreader system?
Very interesting your alternative, do you have a photo of the deflector that would have to be placed on the floor of the picador to send the material to the bottom of the combine?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It’s going to cost you a small fortune.

Like Rod said, chopper in slow and dead knives down and you will get very similar lengths of straw to a beater.

I had Two flagships side by side last year making stubble Hay and you couldn’t tell the difference in the straw. One was a beater, one a chopper.

There may be a problem at the spreaders if your not getting even distribution.
I understand perfectly, in fact I have never seen a beater work, the logic indicated that I would leave the straw longer than a picador. As Rod says, we have done the test of using the picador at low speed but we have the disadvantage of depositing losses on the upper sieve.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Very interesting your alternative, do you have a photo of the deflector that would have to be placed on the floor of the picador to send the material to the bottom of the combine?
I’m not sure we’re talking about the same thing ....... but here goes.
When you run the chopper in low speed, obviously you have to drop the knives down. I presume you have the front on beater floor blocked off with a bolted in plate. This covers the perforated floor area ..... after the rotor ..... before the chopper/ discharge beater....... to stop excess chaff/straw falling onto the cleaning system.

The chopper via the rotor, nearly always discharges on the RHS of the machine. It’s just a fact of life & the nature of material flow through the rotor.
To move that flow of crop material to more of the centre of the straw/chaff spreaders, install a deflector on the RHS ..... see picture.
Not sure what you mean by excess loading on the cleaning system & higher losses after disengaging the chopper.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rod, I understand, we here in Argentina have a picador with a greater number of blades. What we have noticed is that when using the chopper in low speed, the loss by the sifted is noticeably increased. The idea of the baffle is very good, in fact I will implement it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Rod, I understand, we here in Argentina have a picador with a greater number of blades. What we have noticed is that when using the chopper in low speed, the loss by the sifted is noticeably increased. The idea of the baffle is very good, in fact I will implement it.
OK ...... looks like you have the 48 blade chopper ...... that’s fine. You most likely have the perforated floor before the chopper. This is where a lot of “fines” go through to overload the cleaning system in cereals, pulses etc.
You may need to cover this section over by bolting in a cover plate or remove it & install the “solid floor”. I’d try covering it up first as it’s not a five minute job to replace it with a solid floor.
Here’s what you probably have installed.

Do you have installed top sieve rear curtains? These greatly improved the sieve capacity & efficiency.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, the perforated floor is installed, in my previous 8120 I had covered it with good results, so from what I see I should do the same in the 9230 ...
Regarding the curtains, he had never seen them, nobody knows them here. I would have a photo to see how they are installed in the combine to really realize how they are placed?
What do you think about getting some blades to my chopper to achieve less chopped straw?
Thanks for the tips!

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Yes, the perforated floor is installed, in my previous 8120 I had covered it with good results, so from what I see I should do the same in the 9230 ...
Regarding the curtains, he had never seen them, nobody knows them here. I would have a photo to see how they are installed in the combine to really realize how they are placed?
What do you think about getting some blades to my chopper to achieve less chopped straw?
Thanks for the tips!
The rear curtains are fitted standard in ‘50 series machines & .90 series NH.
I made my first set out of old Honeybee draper mats, but now have them made in a shop ..... see picture.

The curtains - one either side - fit underneath the rear finger grate & face towards the front of the machine, just rubbing on the bottom floor.
It’s easier just to pull both top sieves out of the machine. Clean all the side rails & sieve frames to remove build up chaff/grains etc. While the top are out, clean the bottom sieves & check that they open evenly - from side to side - & then calibrate the bottom sieves as per instructions in the operators manual & the screen. 6mm is the calibration.
On the top sieves, remove the rear top finger grate from the back of the top sieve. There’s about six 10mm head nuts & bolts here.
Fit the rear curtain between bottom of sieve frame (where the rear finger grate was) & then refit rear finger grate using existing bolts & nuts. All your doing is fitting the rear curtains between the finger grate & sieve frame.
Check that the sieve linkage can move full directions either way through the square holes of the curtains. You may need to just trim the curtain square holes so there is no obstructions.
Refit the top sieves but be careful of the curtains when fitting. Make sure the curtains don’t catch anywhere on the linkages or have side pressure on them from pushing too hard against the machine side walls. Trim the curtains if required so they stay straight & not curl on the sides.
Check top sieve for calibration etc. just the same as the you did on the bottom sieves.
Make sure you close & latch the rear access door on the sieve box.
If I can post a video of what they look like installed on this site I’ll do it. Otherwise PM me your email & I’ll just email it.
The curtains make a lot of difference in cereals, canola, pulses etc. You’ll find you can open your sieves more & get a very clean sample. The curtains make the air go through the sieves instead of finding the easiest path out the machine.
Also, have you checked the “level & centre” of the concaves to the rotor? This is absolutely vital to get this right.
Taking some of the chopping blades off ???? ...... I'd be careful doing that. You may take it back to a 24 blade ....... BUT ...... you'll need something to cover the mounting lugs & bolt holes of the ones you took off. I'd fill that perforated floor in first & fit the curtains, then see how it goes.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I understand, and I think I know how they are placed. As I said earlier here the dealers are not even aware that there are such curtains. Send an email ...

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
I understand, and I think I know how they are placed. As I said earlier here the dealers are not even aware that there are such curtains. Send an email ...
........ your dealer is not the only one who knows nothing about these! But they're in the parts listing. :sFun_DeadHorse:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I’m not sure we’re talking about the same thing ....... but here goes.
When you run the chopper in low speed, obviously you have to drop the knives down. I presume you have the front on beater floor blocked off with a bolted in plate. This covers the perforated floor area ..... after the rotor ..... before the chopper/ discharge beater....... to stop excess chaff/straw falling onto the cleaning system.

The chopper via the rotor, nearly always discharges on the RHS of the machine. It’s just a fact of life & the nature of material flow through the rotor.
To move that flow of crop material to more of the centre of the straw/chaff spreaders, install a deflector on the RHS ..... see picture.
Not sure what you mean by excess loading on the cleaning system & higher losses after disengaging the chopper.
Case put a deflector once they came out with the magnacut chopper between the rotor and chopper to make it feed the chopper more in the center. Our 8120 has it with an adjusting handle by the tailings processor. Think most new combines are in cab adjustable. Not sure if it only came with the magnacut or if it was standard equipment though.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Case put a deflector once they came out with the magnacut chopper between the rotor and chopper to make it feed the chopper more in the center. Our 8120 has it with an adjusting handle by the tailings processor. Think most new combines are in cab adjustable. Not sure if it only came with the magnacut or if it was standard equipment though.
I believe you're right ...... but I thought I'd try the cheap version.

If it didn't work ....... it's scrap heap bound!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts