The Combine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there is a poll over on NAT about do you disengage the separator at full engine rpm or low idle. It was regarding belt life. Some where saying that putting the engine to low idle first put a lot of negative strain on the belt. Just go me wondering after having the the backing come off my main drive belt.

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=813859&posts=26&start=1

·
Registered
406 Posts
A funny thread that I have actually thought about a lot and thought I was the only one. Used to have a 1644 that tightened the belts to engage the machine and they sometimes flew off if you disengaged at high speed. If you reengaged like that it would shred the belt so just got in the habit of slowing the engine first. The new machines I don't think it matters but we are in the habit now. I do know if you are getting out for some reason the engine will slow the machine down and it won't coast as long. After a farm accident, my youngest son insists on having everything shut off before we work on it. Good advice I think.

·
Registered
239 Posts
This is the dealers theory when we bought a 2166 quite s wile back.If you disengage at full speed the belt tries to form a circle shape pushing it hard against the guides leads to damaged guides and back of the belt.Centrifugal force.Seemed a logical theory so always slowed down before disengaging, never changed a belt either.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I always disengage at full throttle. Absolutely nothing wrong with it coasting to a stop. Im less concerned about belts and more concerned by the change of load when throttling down on the motor or hydraulic pumps with all that enertia behind it. Feels like it would act as a trans brake on the motor. What do i know though, not much.

Checked my factory rotor belt 9860 before corn this year, 2700hrs, still looked fine. I did go through a feederhouse drive belt, but looked like dryrot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts