The Combine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Big nut on disk was backing off this summer.. well I tightened it 10 times and last 2 times checked it it was tight well 8 hr latter disks were stopping, got out and yup loose, but now the threads are flat.... so do I need a new shaft or take it to get new threads cut on the shaft?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Hello Farmboy686
Why throw out the shaft if only the treads are buggered on the end? If it was mine, I would weld up the end & then turn down & cut new threads on my lathe. Try putting some thread locker on it or take a hammer & chisel & distort the shaft & nut a bit. As a last resort, put a small weld bead on it. It can always be ground off later if you need to take it apart.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking because its spring steel shaft that the welding up and cutting new threads it would take the spring out of the bolt if it where? I am not real familiar with disks so keep that in mind lol

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Hello Farmboy686
Are you sure that it's a spring steel (I'm not saying that yours isn't)? I've straightened bent gang shafts & they seemed to be pretty easy to straighten & didn't seem to want to spring back to their bent shape.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
When you tightened the gang, did you lossen up spring or bracket between bearing carrier and frame? If you don't the bearing carrier won't align when you tighten the shaft and in few acres will loosen. (dirt in between cups, blades, carriers or a failing bearring will also cause this)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No im not sure its spring , I was figured since its so long and has to maitain tension it was... prob is not lol. I know towards the end had dirt in the caps had to use a spacer then its just a real mess. theses things are hard to work on lol. Best bet take it apart and take shaft to lath . why once it comes loose I could not keep it tight after. must just be the dirt?

·
Premium Member
5,233 Posts
What size of shaft are we talking about here:confused: As in diameter and round or square?

Seldom a gang shaft is spring steel, most are cold rolled or slightly better grade. All kinds of options out there to make a new one. Depending on size, some you can easily make yourself...thus my question:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
forget trying to use a socket or pipe wrenches to tighten disk gangs. make yourself a large hammer wrench to do a proper job. cut it out of 1" or 1 1/2 flat plate with a 1 1/2 to 2 ft handle and use a suitable size sledge hammer to tighten the nut. you will get it far tighter than with any other method. we used this method on the heavy ROME disks and others as well. there must be no dirt or rust between any components. if done properly you won't have to worry about it until you change blades or bearings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.