The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently was reading more about the spinner spreaders that you can get on the flagship combines. One persons claimed (and had pictures to prove it) that the spinners spread wheat straw and chaff way more evenly than the vertical whale tail spreaders, at least for the widths we cut, and had converted all his machines over. Case sells a kit to replace the spreaders. It's not cheap, but we're considering doing it next year on one machine. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of going back to the spreaders. I'm not keen on spending the money, but getting tired of having the spreaders plug on green straw, and I really don't like the spread pattern.

Has anyone on the forum installed that kit in the last few years? It comes with new motors, spinners, mounts, deflection shields, etc. Looks pretty neat when it's done. There's an older forum post on the subject: Dual Disc vs. "whale Tail" Spreader on Case IH.

EDIT: Oh I see someone replied to that thread only two months ago to say they had converted their machines over.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Phil Needham has a good review of the the spinners in his wheat book. The whale tale must be worst spreader for canola, unless it’s just in my area

·
Registered
591 Posts
Recently was reading more about the spinner spreaders that you can get on the flagship combines. One persons claimed (and had pictures to prove it) that the spinners spread wheat straw and chaff way more evenly than the vertical whale tail spreaders, at least for the widths we cut, and had converted all his machines over. Case sells a kit to replace the spreaders. It's not cheap, but we're considering doing it next year on one machine. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of going back to the spreaders. I'm not keen on spending the money, but getting tired of having the spreaders plug on green straw, and I really don't like the spread pattern.

Has anyone on the forum installed that kit in the last few years? It comes with new motors, spinners, mounts, deflection shields, etc. Looks pretty neat when it's done. There's an older forum post on the subject: Dual Disc vs. "whale Tail" Spreader on Case IH.

EDIT: Oh I see someone replied to that thread only two months ago to say they had converted their machines over.
I converted my 7120 over when I bought it 4 years ago. I don’t remember what it cost but it wasn’t near as expensive as what others are saying. But I didn’t replace the motors. Just used the same one that were on my whale tail spreader

·
Registered
205 Posts
I think if I were you I would price out a Mav chopper It will be more but you will at least be happy. Spreaders are better but still not good.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I already have a good idea of the price of a Mav chopper... It's quite expensive. And as it stands now, the built-in chopper works just fine, despite being a really silly design. The spin spreaders look really good to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts