The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
I was wondering if anyone have< tried to make a diy auto steer for trimble 250 or 500. I've been spraying by hand with a 500 as guidance for a few years, and have been dreaming of a autosteer since day one!!
Would it be possible to decode trimble communication at the eezy steer-plug on the harness and use the messages to program a arduino for turning a motor on the steer? This is only meant to keep me on the ABline, not even bothered with slope compensation, for now...
If it's not doable, I was also thinking of maybe hacking the guidance lightbar to turn the steering-motor according to which lights are on, also done through a arduino.
This is all just basic explanation to pick your mind.
Appreciate your time

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
I have the EZ Steer and some time I'd like to sniff the messages to see if I could drive the EZ Steer motor from AgOpenGPS, kind of the opposite of what you want to do. Speaking of AgOpenGPS, I think you'll get far more mileage out of a DIY AgOpenGPS solution than trying to reverse-engineer EZ Steer with the Trimble 250. I understand the appeal of hacking something that works with your existing Trimble hardware (it appeals to me too), but AgOpenGPS is probably the easier route. And fun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.
I have always looked past the idea of agopengps mainly because I already have a Trimble 500 with eezy boom and I recon the cost of all the AOG hardware would exceed that of a used eezy steer.
That said, after a day of thinking about it, I must agree with you that it is best to try AOG. Reason being is that a Trimble 500 is a ticking time bomb. I already lost one with a pcb problem(backlight and antenna fried) and trimble discontinued them, no more repairs!! Better get AOG up and running before I get caught with my pants down, again!!
And then I will still try to diy a eezy steer, just because it tickles me..

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
It's on my long list of things to do some time after my shop is completed to reverse-engineer the canbus messages going to the EZ Steer motor unit. I'll let you know if I ever do. Should be possible to make a DIY motor with a microcontroller that can talk on the canbus with the Trimble 500.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
FWIW-- Headsight offers Autosteer systems for row guidance connecting to either EZ-Steer (not CAN) or EZ-Pilot (CAN) motors. However, its not GPS-- actual row feelers for following the row in standing crops. It drives the motors directly so the 500 is irrelevant. Might save you some time.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Torriem, that would be great! It would be really nice to one day be able to put all my concentration towards spraying and not driving! Thank you and good luck.
Jeff, very interesting, but I don't do row crops. Thanks for bringing this to me attention, might be useful for something else later on.
Now I need to find other South Africans that have tried Agopengps to seek advice on purchasing hardware?

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Post on the agopengps forum and you might find some others. At the very least you'll find the community.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts