The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was thinking a LoRa wide Area network would be very handy around the farm. Has anyone built one from scratch? Or bought a gateway and set one up? The purpose of this topic is about building your own gateway and sensors using DIY technology not necessarily commercial offerings of crop sensors.

A LoRaWAN is a network using low power transmitters that can be 15 to 20 km away or more if flat country with no trees. This allows you to slowly transmit sensor data like temp, humidity, rainfall, bin temperatures, NDVI scans, leaf temperatures - whatever you want - from anywhere directly to the internet which then can be accessible from anywhere thru a site called "The Things Network" TNN.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The guy with a Swiss accent. He's done a fair bit of research into some of that. i watch most of his stuff not that i understand it all.

It could potentially have lots of uses, and has been on my list to mess with but have not tried yet.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crash, if you go to the Things site and look on the map of gateways, you may already have a gateway near you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Happy to see that you refer to Andreas Spiess, his youtube channel and AOG Thread are my favourite as follower. BTW interested in mesh network...

·
Registered
301 Posts

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Easy, but expensive.

After I get finished with seeding this year I'm probably going to try to make a gateway using a Raspberry Pi. I would like to build some weather stations and deploy them around the farm for more localized weather reporting.

Easy, but not that expensive either after you buy all the parts and your time is worth something. The collector alone is around 120 bucks. The other option is to just go LoRaLAN, but then you need to change any sensors to single freq and lots won't work on single freq. The Draguino gateway is about 100 bucks, single freq.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was more thinking about a "field network" that would allow communication between ag machine at work in a field like fleet of harvesters, dump cart and combine, corn silage harvest with several trucks or tractor trailers.
Could share harvesters settings and... Locations (Mapping for many datas are more and more popular)
You were more thinking fixed network? (Easier!)

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was more thinking about a "field network" that would allow communication between ag machine at work in a field like fleet of harvesters, dump cart and combine, corn silage harvest with several trucks or tractor trailers.
Could share harvesters settings and... Locations (Mapping for many datas are more and more popular)
You were more thinking fixed network? (Easier!)

LoRa is super slow data transmission. like 2.5 bytes/sec. I think you would need a very different network

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have feeling that this low speed is more due to human regulation than physics!
I am tryîg to find a way making those sug Ghhz radio "free"modules (915, 868 in Europ, 433 or 169 Mhz) at a baudrate about 50kb/s in a mesh network.(internet in old days was working at 56K!)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Saw on Twitter a few months back a cattle station in northern aus set up a lorawan to monitor water tanks and troughs, think from memory it was a mix of DIY and off the shelf stuff

·
Registered
576 Posts
as far as i can tell, lora needs a clean line of site between the two units ... unfortunately i don't have that as i have some pretty big trees ??

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got the Rak/Pi kit from Adafruit. Will let you know how many ways i break it. Kit came with many missing parts :(

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well i finally got the time to put this $hit show together. A lot of really bad info, but persisted to get it working.
Parts: Feather LoRa
Rak Pi based 8 channel Gateway: 2243 gateway

And that's it. Right now its counting, but it all works. Registered on the things network, programmed a very easy and simple sketch for the Feather, and it actually works. I used the TinyLora library and it works really well. Now. of course its just counting - but it can literally monitor anything from bin temps to leaf wetness to whatever. About 300$ cdn. About a million dollars less then commercial systems.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There are about 10,000 network gateways across the world, only 1 where i live. Couple hours ago there were none lol.

Here is mine, 1 lonely gateway in the barren wasteland called Canada.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts