The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to buy a low houred 2388, 03-06 model. My cousin had an 06 and had major injector, pump and eventually scored pistons. The only 2388s for sale with low hours are all 2006 models. Should I stay away from this model or was his a fluke?

·
Registered
139 Posts
They had the caps fuels system in 06 for sure, maybe 05 also. 03 and 4 had the mechanical pump that works great. What do you consider low hours, and where are you located?
No Case IH combine ever had the CAPS injection pump, only the MX Magnum and STX Steiger ever had them.

The 2005 and 2006 had Common Rail injection pump which is the same type of fuel system used on Dodge pickups, Chevy Durmax and now newer Ford pickups and many others. The fuel pump is not the normal CP3 that many other engines use it is specific to the 8.3/9.0 found on Case IH equipment.

Early on their were some software issues causing glitches in engine performace during throttle up. Also the plunger in the high pressure pump can stick causing the engine not to start. If not stuck bad you can give the top of the pump a wack with a hammer and free them to start. If the injectors stick open then severe engine damage happens in a very short time, burning holes in pistons or getting them hot enough to seize.

I feel that with any common rail engine fuel quality and keeping water out is key to their survial. Like any other common rail if proper fuel maintiance is not used then the entire system goes to crap quickly and is very expensive to fix when it fails.

The prior combines had the bullet proof inline injection pumps and the engine is all mechanical.

I dont see any reason to stay away from these combines, but like I stated above with common rail detail needs to be used with the fuel and maintiance of fuel filters, even using fuel additives to help with lubricity of fuel.

Jeff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.