The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Their are farms here dealing with the tough straw as in Europe but we are having a hard time even though we have less. If these Combines can run there why can't we get them rigged up the same way. Better Choppers more Horse Power. Maybe other things. Close-able tanks. Tell me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Not sure how different the combines are but the answer to tough straw is preharvest glyphospate. 1l/ha 7/10 days before harvest makes all the difference, grain will be a couple of percent dryer too. Increase in combine speed and efficiency makes it a no brainer.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I know in the past the 1400's IH series australian combines had more power because a few guys around here have them, I believe they are 1460s turned up to around 200 hp and they had 2 speed hydros.

·
Registered
620 Posts
The Case-IH 8120/9120's for 2010 can be ordered with the euro style folding grain tank and the MagnaCut chopper, engine mounted air compressor. From what I am told this now allows a North American machine to be optioned the same as a euro machine.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
The main difference is up here in Canada we can grow very big straw crops and in Europe they do to but no bigger than ours. However with their cool weather they get way better head fill and much larger heads. The wheat over there thrashes much easier than ours, more like winter wheat. They grow 150 bushel wheat with the same amount of straw as our 50 bushel. Tough and wet harvest conditions allow them to not overload the shoe as easy as we do so the machines can run more hp. Here losses on most machines is the the limiting factor not hp, Which is why a lot of people aren't interested in running the big deere, 9120 or a claas 600, NH9090 over here.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Don't really know the answer but what I do know is we in northern Europe normally put on a growth regulator on our wheat oats and some barley to stop it going flat.

However when we had a 1640 Axial Flow we did turn the screw to 1660 levels all this with a 13ft front on it. However in 4.5 tonne/ acre wheat that would go through the machine at about 2.5-3mph 40 acres was a good day and 50 was a once in 20 years event

Cheers BB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts