The Combine Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
This is a bit of a goofy question. It's like asking do restaurants make money. I'm sure a string of Boston Pizzas make money but the cafe in the small town barely breaks even. We are like any other small business. We need luck, hard work, good management and to top it all off we do it outside in the bloody weather which changes every ten miles.
Agreed! Bit of a goofy question! Anyone who is not making a profit has a very limited lifespan in business. There are no two farmers operating under the exact same conditions or situation.
There`s probably more variables to deal with, in a farming business, than in nearly any other business. That is where good management, hard work, personal sacrifice, frugal living, a determined attitude, resilience and luck come into play. Those farmers who operate with low equity levels need more of the above than the average farmer...and bigger balls.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Agreed! Bit of a goofy question! Anyone who is not making a profit has a very limited lifespan in business. There are no two farmers operating under the exact same conditions or situation.
There`s probably more variables to deal with, in a farming business, than in nearly any other business. That is where good management, hard work, personal sacrifice, frugal living, a determined attitude, and luck come into play. Those farmers who operate with low equity levels need more of the above than the average farmer...and bigger balls.
yep , go hard or get out , every day is a gamble , but the harder i work the more determined i become to succeed , ( it also helps when mother nature lends a hand ! )

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
This is a bit of a goofy question. It's like asking do restaurants make money. .
I knew a fella that owned 2 restaurants in Saskatoon yrs ago , always used to get into arguments with him and his citidots about farming and how us "farmers" made nothing but money and how we were being subsidized BLAH BLAH BLAH (can't blame them to a point cause all they see is 6oclock news and front page of Star Phoneix ) but 1st thing I said is WHAT subsidies ?(this B4 Grip, Agriinvest ETC) I said to him that you subsidize yourself , he says how the **** can I do that ? I says as soon as your costs go up you pass it on to the customer by changing the prices on the menu !! He didn,t know what to say then !!:23:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think we all make money and do well, most of us are equity rich and cash poor tho!! Our return on investment is slim to none on most years! Yes, we can afford to keep upgrading equipment and keep our operations up to date, but we are not stashing cash in our mattresses!! If you are not born into farming, chances are you will never do it! I'm 3rd generation, 112 years so far, I have 3 kids and none of them want to farm! They see the stress and uncertainty in the farming industry and want no part of it. We put out 100's of thousands for inputs, with zero guarantee of any return. When you look at the average age of farmers, it goes up year after year, the younger generation are shying away from sticking their necks out! Do you go buy $2 million of dirt and not make enough off it to make the land payment, or do you go spend $2 million on a Tim Hortons and know you will make 15%+ on you investment??
I made a $1000 bet with a stats Canada guy one day...I bet him that there isn't 1 kid coming out of high school, in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, or Montreal that would ever become a farmer!! He wouldn't take the bet! He also agreed, if you are not born into it, chances are you'll never be able to do it! As long as we have a cheap food policy we will continue to get by and our younger generation will continue to stay away from a great life on the farm!! But even when we do make an extra dollar, all that happens is, inputs, iron, land, rent, insurance and everything else all goes up also, so we are never any better off anyway!
Keep your heads above water and have a happy spring harvest to the many of us still dealing with 2019's leftover BS!!

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Someone did a search on making money. Tries to sell work at home garbage and gets the thread going again? Haha. Oh well, A worthwhile thread.

I am a neighbor with Welker Farms. Started watching Cole a bit here and there from them. Seems like a good guy. He did a good job on that video.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Gotta say, that post by rationality dragging up an ancient thread is a very original piece of spam advertising. Well done. Moderators should still take it down though.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Someone did a search on making money. Tries to sell work at home garbage and gets the thread going again? Haha. Oh well, A worthwhile thread.

I am a neighbor with Welker Farms. Started watching Cole a bit here and there from them. Seems like a good guy. He did a good job on that video.
Watched a lot of youtube guys, but welker farms I really appreciate, we are kinda the same way building our own stuff and driving "older" equipment.
i'm curious to know how guys like that look like awesome neighbors but are they like that in reality.
was gonna head to elbow lake minnisota to look at a planter (newer version of the one we currently own) and was gonna try to stop by MN farmer, met him at crop connect in winnipeg, awesome guy to talk to and funny, Midwest (is what the dealer is called now was admunson and peterson i think when we bought our planter) good dealer and great support getting me set up with the planter and they made sure the planter was field ready when bought and came from a good home. anyway now with the covid can't do ****, can go look at the planter but the dealer doesn't really want me to talk to the previous owner face to face, can be on the phone. ah well some other time I guess.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Welker Farms, thinking about it, I don't even remember how I got to know them. Yes, they are just as good in real life as on the videos. I am a bit surprised they always answer my phone calls and texts. They still do. Good neighbors.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I think the jist of the original post was do farmers make money for a few years and then give it back a few yrs later when an inevitable disaster comes around. Look at the disasters that have happened since I made that post 5 yrs ago. And I mean money from operations, not land equity.

Coles video is informative but its not him personally taking that -239,000 hit. Coming out of equity most likely. A couple yrs like that would bankrupt and lot of farms and here in Canada we get no direct supports like the US.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Do farmers make money? More like create money. We take dirt and seed and nutrients and with nature's help we end up with this world's most valuable product - food. Sadly no one seems to think that way. The equipment manufacturers, seed suppliers, fertilizer suppliers, chemical suppliers, along with all the grain handlers, food processors, distributors etc, all think they deserve the credit. So they all try to glean every cent of profit away from the farmer - who by the way is the only one in the food supply chain that has their livelihood on the line each and every year. We may not always make money, but we sure as HE double hockey sticks create it!

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Coles video is informative but its not him personally taking that -239,000 hit. Coming out of equity most likely. A couple yrs like that would bankrupt and lot of farms and here in Canada we get no direct supports like the US.
In all fairness he did state that he used some averages and also some assumptions in that video. They aren't loosing a quarter million a year, if they were the money he included from taxes would be zero. He also does include farmer welfare in there. The sum point of the video was to educate the uneducated public that generally speaking farmers are not rolling in money, those of us in the agricultural world are aware of that but are also aware that the video probably goes a bit extreme.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Went to a class/seminar and they decided to make a farm budget, we laughed. Started asking expense costs, then cried. Not sure the speaker knew how farming really is. We might have a couple more farmers than we do today after that. I know there was a few prospecting farmers in the room. It rarely looks good on paper. Somehow, we make it work. Some seem to do it better than others.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Do farmers make money? More like create money. We take dirt and seed and nutrients and with nature's help we end up with this world's most valuable product - food. Sadly no one seems to think that way. The equipment manufacturers, seed suppliers, fertilizer suppliers, chemical suppliers, along with all the grain handlers, food processors, distributors etc, all think they deserve the credit. So they all try to glean every cent of profit away from the farmer - who by the way is the only one in the food supply chain that has their livelihood on the line each and every year. We may not always make money, but we sure as HE double hockey sticks create it!
Sadly I have never looked at it that way and I do not think I am the only one either. Governments can create money out of thin air, but farmers can create a physical currency that will run an economy. This is not just ones and zeros on a computer screen either. Could you imagine the financial hardships that would happen if every farmer took up a regular job instead of creating this influx of cash to the economy? Lack of food is a side issue, because we all know food comes from Safeway. Pretty profound statement Gary.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts