The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting tired of carrying around tidy tanks and several toolboxes in the back of a pickup. And still not having what I need. And needing a seperate truck if I need the welder.

What I would like to carry is:
-200 gal fuel and engine oil, hyd oil, etc.
- portable welder
- basic power tools (grinder, impact, drill etc. )
-bench grinder and vice
-air compressor. Could be electric to run of welder.
-full assortment of hand tools and pullers etc.
- assortment of bolts, keystock, roller chain.
I already have all tools and welder.
Looking to do this for reasonable $.

Right now I'm leaning toward either:

1. An enclosed trailer. Would save having to maintain an extra unit.

2. A five ton with a van body, roll up door and power tailgate.

3. An actual service truck.

4. Any other ideas?

Will be a winter project so just gathering opinions and ideas. Thanks.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Probably the cheapest would be to set up a trailer. The van next but I agree may be a pain to get in and out. If it has a side door could fab up some flip down steps might not be too bad. You could haul more stuff with van than service truck. Nice thing on service truck is if it is equipped with a crane, pretty handy.

·
Registered
366 Posts
we are making a used sask power service truck work decently, the price was certainly right. Pretty sure it's only a 3/4t frame, but we gave it a powered fuel tank, gas engine generator, existing storage compartments. Likely can't handle any substantial amounts of oils (we still bomb around a few 5gal pails that we keep topped up from the big totes at the shop) but it's WAY better than the "slip tank hooked to the battery" kinda setup we used to have...

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
I would vote the trailer it is the most economical, during the off season you can unhook it and use your truck for other work, don't have to haul around tools & tanks when you go for a 2hour parts run. The service truck would be the nicest option to work from, all your tools easily at hand plus the option of a crane. But most service trucks don't have much room for a substantial slip tank and if you need DEF storage forget it. The van option I feel would be a pain having to climb in and out for tools. I would also say get a gas or even diesel powered air compressor, you could run an electric one off your welder/generator but it wouldn't be a very big one, all depends on your demands I suppose.

·
Registered
422 Posts
One thing I bought is a John Deere welder gen. And compressor all in one unit it is made by the Mighty M corp. $500 less for the mighty M than deere. Saves a lot of space on the trailer I use that welder around the grain dryer and bins all the time.

·
Registered
836 Posts
2. A five ton with a van body, roll up door and power tailgate.
Do not do #2. We had this set-up on one of the harvest crews I was on and it was a colossal PITA climbing up that high and opening a big door every time you needed something.

A enclosed trailer closer to ground level or a service bed on a trailer would work if you didn't want to maintain another drive train.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would go with a trailer we have two service truck that dad built for when we were doing the harvest run to Texas and back, but since we stopped making the run they seem to break down from lack of use since thay are only needed now for a couple of weeks in the spring and fall. I've been thinking of building a gooseneck and setting the body off the newer truck on it with a knuckle boom and a flat deck on the back. This way I can make better use of our main trucks without having to drag all my tools and equipment around when its not needed. Also when we were doing the custom run a 200 gal sliptank would keep 2 9600's running all day with some to spare now I have to make several trips to keep things fueled up all day and there is no good way to carry the fuel we need and all our tools, parts, the welder, and compressor in the same truck unless we went to a 3 ton or larger service truck which would make no sence because it would just sit there most of the year. The only thing I would caution anyone about using a tool trailer is do not leave it unhooked in the field they have a tendence of disapearing

·
Registered
868 Posts
The other option I like is un old school bus, knock everything out and start building and keep a area for having supper in the field with crew around the table and nice loaded fridge.
Some falls it realy gets cold when fine dining at the tailgate.
Now I think of it the wife can bring food and fuel up combines in one trip.......

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Rethink what you need. We went to cordless impact(milwaukee 1100 ft/lbs) instead of air impact so no need for air compressor. Semi is there if you need to blow an air filter out anyway. We have no need of a welder either. Love to know what everyone is welding. So fuel and tools. You want to be able to fill your combines with one tank so the fuel weight is your biggest consideration. And you dont need to assume your service truck will be old. Get a newer 3/4 or 1 ton and put on a deck and a big fuel tank. When your tank is empty you can run anywhere easily for parts or whatever utilizing the same unit. Trailers are bad for bouncing, backing, unhooking, 4 more tires, lights, etc.

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
Compressor is a 2 stage built in. Miller Bobcat we carry on the back of the truck. The Hobart Mig and the Hobart Plasma are stored in one of the cabinets of the trailer.

Trailer is wired for 120/240 throughout off the genny.

This may give you some ideas.

Since then added two metal halide lights on a boom up top so it really lights up the night.

There's air hoses all the way around. The nozzles on the oil tanks are the Lincoln's with built in digital flow meters.

Coolant tank is just 1/4 turn valve. There's one tank not shown for old oil with a vac pump that sucks the oil out of the crankcase. All our eqiupment has a 1/4 turn valve then a hydraulic quick-coupler end for oil changes without messes.

Fuel tank is ~7,000 liter double walled. Gas tank is 500l double walled. Rest of the tanks are all 400 liter.

Trailer is a Kalynn Siebert with 30K lb axles, brakes.

·
Registered
411 Posts
If you get on the net you can find all sorts of service/lube trucks , some are sure worth the money . I found 3 c-7500 gmc's with 14' service beds with side entrance ,pto air , pto generator, new radial mud tires /steers 6cyl. cat with 6 sp auto all under 80k miles for under 11k . This one I put a auto-crane ,miller 250 welder, air grease system. Lots of work lights and all boxes are lighted too. 99,2000 and 2001 model . Cheaper than a pickup rigged up .

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.