The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had my 2017 F 150 lariat for about 20 months, 50000km. Lariat 3.5eco 10spd.

Not overly impressed. Are you? Had a 2013 F350 before. Other than being rough it seemed like a way better truck.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
I’ve been driving a 2014 f150 since new, love it, Dad has had a couple new style f150’s and they don’t impress me. Still driving mine, but traded it on a different brand! Hope I’m not sorry

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hard to compare the one ton trucks to a half ton isn’t it? They are totally different
When I switch to something different I usually weigh the pros and cons.
If I drive my half ton or one ton and jump in my wife's suv I will compare. Things like four wheel drive engagement, vibration, road noise, sound system, seats, head room, features, heated seats, command start, foot pedals, carpet, floor mats, ground clearance, visibility. Just some of the comparisons or criticisms I might have about common features amongst automobiles.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Have a 2017 F150. Good power and ride. Huge leg room in rear seat. Dont like electric tail gate button. Radio controls a bit finicky. Seats are firm like a sport ride vs chev which is soft luxury ride. Nice interior. Kind of ugly on outside. Aluminum is a pain for a beacon on roof. Hard to find a 6 passenger long box. Likely will buy another.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
What don't you like? Dad has a 2015 that I've only drove a handful of times and it sure seems pretty nice to me. Lariat crew 4x4 with 5.0. Its got power.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What don't you like? Dad has a 2015 that I've only drove a handful of times and it sure seems pretty nice to me. Lariat crew 4x4 with 5.0. Its got power.
Truck is nice. I like driving the truck. Lots I like about it.

The transmission and four wheel drive clunk quite a bit seems to be getting worse. I can not get it to do it consistently so hard to pinpoint why it's doing it. Curious if others notice. The auto 4wd never seems to disengage. Rain sensing wipers seem erratic. The key fobs lock unlock seem erratic as well.

I change my own oil. The belly pan underneath is a pain. I left the back half off this time. Since I broke the first $5 plastic oil plug I quite like it now for changing oil.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ve been driving a 2014 f150 since new, love it, Dad has had a couple new style f150’s and they don’t impress me. Still driving mine, but traded it on a different brand! Hope I’m not sorry
If it's got a 6.2 GM you might be disappointed:)

·
Premium Member
8,181 Posts
I have a 2015 F350 which has been a very reliable and strong truck but may not relate as much to the discussion here. We do have a 2016(I believe) Ford Expedition with the 3.5 liter but it's not a 10spd I don't think, maybe 6 or so. It also has been good, lots of power and better on gas than previous 5.4 liter it replaced. I do have an intense dislike for the oil change setup as well, just another example of an engineer never actually using something. I personally think they should go back to an actual keyfob with a key, stupid thing honks at you when you grab the keys and go to get the mail....plus at this time of year the keyfob battery gets weak and car won't start.

We have had probably 5 late model Ford vehicles in recent years and although we don't pile the miles on like some do they have not left us on the side of the road. Rarely need dealer service either. I hear lots of stories about other brands needing to make a trip to the dealer which would drive me nuts. Overall pretty happy with the Ford product and hopefully they keep their quality up.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Its too early to tell for me.
Just took delivery of a new F150 2018 5.0L 10spd.
My old F150 a 2010 hasn't been stellar in reliability for the low miles it has.
I really had some serious doubts on buying another one.
Time will tell the story shortly.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Bought a 2018 F150 Lariat last fall after driving an 09 F150 Lariat for 300k. Never an issue with the old one. The new truck is not near as nice for the ride, climate control, road noise and general comfort in the seats. I kept the 09 and just drive it for farm use and carry tools and operators around. The new one is a beautiful truck if I don't compare it to the old one. Reliability peace of mind is why I keep the new one. With so many options on trucks to buy, I'm not sure if comparing apples to apples like real axle ratios, suspension etc. I was a GM guy all my life until GM wouldn't lease in 09 so I jumped ship and never looked back. Great trucks!

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
If it's got a 6.2 GM you might be disappointed:)
Actually my wife got a Yukon this summer, has a 6.2. Switched from Ford there also, her last couple out of a handful of expiditions was a nightmare.

That 6.2 is the most fun stock vehicle I have owned ! And better on fuel than the ecoboosts.

My new one has the nicest interior in any new halfton, lots of legroom front and back, but no 6.2.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Truck is nice. I like driving the truck. Lots I like about it.

The transmission and four wheel drive clunk quite a bit seems to be getting worse. I can not get it to do it consistently so hard to pinpoint why it's doing it. Curious if others notice. The auto 4wd never seems to disengage. Rain sensing wipers seem erratic. The key fobs lock unlock seem erratic as well.

I change my own oil. The belly pan underneath is a pain. I left the back half off this time. Since I broke the first $5 plastic oil plug I quite like it now for changing oil.
Now that you mention the clunk thing he has it at the dealer for something similar, I could never hear what he was talking about as it all seemed quiet to me but most of the time I drive my 95 7.3 which bangs, shakes, rattles, clunks, vibrates, shimmies and just makes a lot of noise.

Things I do not care for on it (or new vehicles in general) are rain sensing wipers, key fobs, auto head lamps both on/off and dimming, self locking, seat belt chimes, stupid electric tailgate.

Adaptive cruise control is pretty nice and parallel park function is interesting but could never get it to work on the Explorer we had. Back up camera is pretty good but doesn't really alarm to quickly if your're gotting to hit something.

Ford certainly seems more refined and advanced comparing his 2015 F150 to the 2015 Dodge Journey we have now but isn't really an apples to apples comparison either.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I hate the eco. Oil changes are a nightmare and 1100 dollar bill for spark plugs because of misfire at 110000km is stupid. Only good point of eco is fuel mileage.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
I hate the eco. Oil changes are a nightmare and 1100 dollar bill for spark plugs because of misfire at 110000km is stupid. Only good point of eco is fuel mileage.
Had a 2016 expidition ecoboost, drove it for around 100,000 km, average was always 15liter/100km. Now have about 15,000 km on a GMC Yukon with 6.2L, the average is 12liter/100km. That’s both hiway, city etc average.

·
Super Moderator
3,052 Posts
In the last 23 months I’ve put 62,000 on a 17 and just hit 70,000 on an 18 with my F-150 Limited glorified grocery haulers. Although they do pull MacDon headers occassionly.
Both had the left license plate light fail, gravel rash, the 18 added an electronic module for passenger seat massage control.
That’s it, all the warranty and trouble.
Not sure the 19 will show by Christmas, it’s serialed, be interesting how the 450 hp/510 torque Raptor engined Limited performs.
Guess that says I buy another, doesn’t help when daughter works at a dealer.

First world issues but here is what I’d program different:
ALL normal night lights on all the time when driving
Setting for driving mode be remembered on power cycle
Eliminate cruise on/off switch
Be able to program your own tire pressure alarms
Rear door handles also be touch sensitive unlock
And...permanent elimination of that incredibly fucking annoying auto engine shutoff at stop lights!

My favorite feature is adaptive cruise down to zero.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
And...permanent elimination of that incredibly fucking annoying auto engine shutoff at stop lights!
That would drive me insane. How long do you have to be stopped for it to shut down and is there any lag when going from shut down to on throttle?

I have a hard time believing that it is good for an engine to turn on/off constantly instead of idling.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In the last 23 months I’ve put 62,000 on a 17 and just hit 70,000 on an 18 with my F-150 Limited glorified grocery haulers. Although they do pull MacDon headers occassionly.
Both had the left license plate light fail, gravel rash, the 18 added an electronic module for passenger seat massage control.
That’s it, all the warranty and trouble.
Not sure the 19 will show by Christmas, it’s serialed, be interesting how the 450 hp/510 torque Raptor engined Limited performs.
Guess that says I buy another, doesn’t help when daughter works at a dealer.

First world issues but here is what I’d program different:
ALL normal night lights on all the time when driving
Setting for driving mode be remembered on power cycle
Eliminate cruise on/off switch
Be able to program your own tire pressure alarms
Rear door handles also be touch sensitive unlock

My favorite feature is adaptive cruise down to zero.
I thought you could turn it off permanently in settings, temporarily on the dash. I like it. The other thing I like is the cab fan slows speed when your on the phone.

Why not the litres used? Redundant DTE.

My header hauling story is good.

·
Super Moderator
3,052 Posts
That would drive me insane. How long do you have to be stopped for it to shut down and is there any lag when going from shut down to on throttle?

I have a hard time believing that it is good for an engine to turn on/off constantly instead of idling.
Lol, my girlfriend Laura often says that, I point out driving her insane isn’t much much of a drive.

It will shutoff within a couple of seconds of a stop.

You nailed it, if you are turning left in the city and facing a steady stream of oncoming traffic with narrow breaks that one second delay in takeoff feels considerably longer than when sitting at the programming desk at Ford!

Done exclusively to lower fuel consumption numbers on the short cycle government economy testing the overall advantage to us country folk is irrelevant!

Is there a chance of increased failure of involved components that are used for this crap?
Don’t know but can’t see it adding to their life.

It can be shutoff and sport mode shuts it off but either have to be done every power cycle.
Some vehicles can’t be shut off at all.

1 - 20 of 183 Posts