The Combine Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Nobody wants to respond so Ill get them started. I have used a kwik clean before. They dont do much but they take a long time to do that. Might be useful for an organic farmer that wants to reduce his wild oats a bit in 1000 bushels or so.

If you thought you could upgrade your wheat to a 2 by taking out 20% maybe taking it to a cleaning plant would be worth it. No number 2 in south east sask. Its mostly 3 due to mildew from august rain. Not much fusarium though so maybe we should blend ours.

·
Premium Member
5,952 Posts
No.

A gravity table will take out 65%

A full spectrum color sorter gets 99% or better. Monochrome about 95%

A bomill or other IR type grader will get 100%

A buddy and I are contemplating setting up a mobile color sorter to clean ergot and fuzz out of hrs durum and rye on farm.

The project would run close to the 300,000 mark and clean 30 to 50 tonne/hr depending on amount removed to give you an idea of the cost of a system .

We are using the neighbour's quick clean to get oats out of peas and it's painfully slow but ok at it... that's about all those machines are meant for

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok well it was a thought. Depending on variety, there is lots of fuzz in this area. Best I've seen/heard is .5% and heard all the way up to 15% infected in HRSW. Heck there is 100% soft white infected fields that are being burnt too...

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nicemustang what is the fuzz doing to the yield? Has anyone done two apps of prosario or carumba or one of each to know if it significantly reduced the fuzz?
Haven't heard of anyone doing two applications, although I should have maybe on some, especially canola. Though I'm not sure if that's economically feasible with these prices...

I'm sure it affects yield, but if its 1% not sure if that matters too much. We are seeing above average wheat yields again this year, don't have it all off yet but it's looking like 80 for cpsr, 60 for utmost (highest fuzz %), 65 for vesper and carberry. Don't think anyone around here will grow utmost again.

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
Our area is usually bad for fuzz, but we finally got a break this year and fuzz wasn't a concern this year when I took some samples to the elevator. Our carberry wasn't sprayed for fuzz but our upmost was. Both are making a #2 but the biggest thing down grading it from a #1 was the bleaching. Still hoping that we can possibly get a #1 for it if somebody has some higher fuzz wheat with color left in it. Probably not though.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Too much soft white was grown around here for too long and fungicides weren't used properly.

Now we are all paying for it... this outbreak is as bad or worse than any in Manitoba.
That's the reason nobody grows that stuff here. Some guys had winter wheat over 25% infected this year. Spring wheat has been much better thanks to a dry spell in July.

·
Registered
423 Posts
No.

A gravity table will take out 65%

A full spectrum color sorter gets 99% or better. Monochrome about 95%

A bomill or other IR type grader will get 100%

A buddy and I are contemplating setting up a mobile color sorter to clean ergot and fuzz out of hrs durum and rye on farm.

The project would run close to the 300,000 mark and clean 30 to 50 tonne/hr depending on amount removed to give you an idea of the cost of a system .

We are using the neighbour's quick clean to get oats out of peas and it's painfully slow but ok at it... that's about all those machines are meant for
Just curious if you decided to go through with the mobile colour sorter? A few of us are looking into doing the same thing. Would like to talk to anyone about colour sorters and especially mobile set-ups.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.