The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems to me with all the problems everyone has had getting a crop in this spring that raising the corn acres and having record bean acres is a bunch of bull. Am I only hearing about the bad and most of the country is actually in pretty good shape. Where I'm at nothing ever gets laid out but this year it's everywhere. Haven't seen this since the 80's when there was mandatory set aside acres. What does everyone else think?

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Mate i have been wondering the same thing and talking to friends about this - they where predicting record world wide production and most of Australia hadnt even had rain and canada was wet and had late snow - same in the US and some frost damage. The body who does this in australia does the same thing every year as well (and get caught out most years). I have no idea off there reasoning ??

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
The worst thing about these "projections" or "reports" from the likes of USDA, ABARE etc. is that they are misused, or at the very least, misinterpreted & that misinterpreted information is to the detriment of the growers.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I think that these numbers were still planting INTENTIONS were they not? They weren't actually what did get planted as they were compiled in the beginning of June. As I understand it, the next report is supposed to have actual seeded acres in the ground correct?

That being said, I don't trust their numbers and I don't think they'll get the next survey right either

·
Registered
411 Posts
usda is a total waste, just as most of the USA 's government departments. WHY would you ever TRUST the government ? **** our so-called leader is a corrupt worthless liar , why would any other department be any different ? usda is full of s**t, bunch of padding of the real numbers is all we get from that bunch . government workers are a lot like those worthless union workers NOT WORTH THEIR SALT .

·
Registered
311 Posts
Used toilet paper has more value than USDA crop reports! I feel the same about market analysts that write for farm publications.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I share the frustration, but it's what we have got!

Question to our North American friends. Would it be fair to say that whilst there has been too much rain in places like Iowa, and not enough in places like Texas, there is a fair bit in between which is going OK?

As a farmer from a marginal area, in my experience, sometimes when the good country is too wet, we are just right. Does the same apply this season in the US?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yeah i agree trent and also stats canada is same way, over on agtalk they agree with that. The one example is why do farmers have to say what their inventory is, the oil companies dont have to tell what their inventory is ect.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I believe Trent is on the right track. Right now our government is getting a lot of pressure because of the high food prices so they are trying to lower them.

·
Registered
619 Posts
USDA is corrupt. Their priority is cheep food for the masses. Stats are spun in that direction.
That applies to the entire government, Washington is nothing but a cesspool of corruption! None of them seem to understand what the constitution says let alone try to abide by it. All any of these worthless agencies are anymore is "social engineering" centers with little regard for common sense of truth - currently running on steroids with the muslim radical in the white house.

·
Registered
311 Posts
That applies to the entire government, Washington is nothing but a cesspool of corruption! None of them seem to understand what the constitution says let alone try to abide by it. All any of these worthless agencies are anymore is "social engineering" centers with little regard for common sense of truth - currently running on steroids with the muslim radical in the white house.
yup !!!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Mate i have been wondering the same thing and talking to friends about this - they where predicting record world wide production and most of Australia hadnt even had rain and canada was wet and had late snow - same in the US and some frost damage. The body who does this in australia does the same thing every year as well (and get caught out most years). I have no idea off there reasoning ??
At least in good old europe it's going to be a very good harvest, if we manage to bring it in.
Our wheat looks like yeilding more than 10t/ha in average (150 bu/ac), sure there will be corners with 13 t/ha. Canola should also bring more than 5t/ha (75bu/ac + x).

Atleast all the talking about a good harvest let the prices fall :( Wheat is -30% compared to last year at the moment...

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
that should pay a couple bills. Nitrogen on canola tops out at 90 lbs here, how much did you give it arcus? Yield potential here is 30 if we get nice summer.

·
Registered
745 Posts
that should pay a couple bills. Nitrogen on canola tops out at 90 lbs here, how much did you give it arcus? Yield potential here is 30 if we get nice summer.
30 bu/ac or dt/ha?

We give a lot more nitrogen. Canola needs around 5-6 kg per dt of yeild. So for 50 dt/ha you will need atleast 250kg of nitorgen. Reduced by the Nmin which is in the soil, you got to give atleast 220 kg... ofcourse this is influenced by lots more factors and differs +- 50kg here (differs by expected yeild, developpment of plants, use of organic fertilizer, kind of soil etc...)

And yes, we know that the maximum $/ac isnt always reached by the maximum bu/ac. So it doesnt always make sense to give more nitogen.

Some magazines said: If the canola price rises 1€/dt, the economic optimum of nitrogen use raises by 5kg/ha. If the price for nitrogen rises 0,1€/kg the optimum gets reduced by 15kg N/ha.

So basically you earn the same , no matter if you give 80 kg/ha or 220 kg/ha :D

For some years we had prices of 400 to 500 €/t canola... so it was worth to invest in a higher yeild.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts