The Combine Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,045 Posts
That applies to the entire government, Washington is nothing but a cesspool of corruption! None of them seem to understand what the constitution says let alone try to abide by it. All any of these worthless agencies are anymore is "social engineering" centers with little regard for common sense of truth - currently running on steroids with the muslim radical in the white house.
Have you selected a country you'd "like" to live in?

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
"Knee high by the 4th of July" has been an outdated nursery rhyme for a long long time. Until this year. It will indeed be a milestone.

Talking corn, that is.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The USDA production estimates are always predicting the most we might raise but never the least we might raise. The report is designed to lower prices for the U S cheap food policy instead of reflecting a true picture of real production. Things will not change until we have a real food shortage in the good ole USA and then it will be too late because the land will controller by a very few and they will name their own prices for their crops. How many of us will be remaining????? LOL.

·
Registered
745 Posts
@ jwsrules... I know that he was talking about 30 bu/ac. We calculate in t/ha, so but to make it easier for you a also wrote my numbers in bu/ac. I know that you usually use bu/ac... (Dont wanna start a discussion about this now :D)

But 90 lbs? Thats not much. But but for a yeild of 30bu it is adequate. lbs/ac = 40,9 kg/ 0,405 ha = 100kg/ha
30bu/ac = 20 dt/ha

so 100kg/ha / 20 dt/ha = 5 kg/dt.

Actually a bit more, since you already got 20-30 kg nitrogen in the soil...

So we basically give the same nitrogen :)

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
At least in good old europe it's going to be a very good harvest, if we manage to bring it in.
Our wheat looks like yeilding more than 10t/ha in average (150 bu/ac), sure there will be corners with 13 t/ha. Canola should also bring more than 5t/ha (75bu/ac + x).

Atleast all the talking about a good harvest let the prices fall :( Wheat is -30% compared to last year at the moment...

What type of wheat, soft white wheat? I know out on the west coast of united states they have yields of soft white similar to this.

·
Registered
745 Posts
What type of wheat, soft white wheat? I know out on the west coast of united states they have yields of soft white similar to this.
I guess you would call it soft white wheat. And yes, it is winter-wheat. To be honest I have never seen "red" wheat... or the hard red spring wheat people are talking about in the forum.

·
Registered
745 Posts
arcus, what is the timing, application methods, and forms of N that you use?
Seeding from mid of august to beginning of september.

Sometimes we give the 1st in autmn. Depends on what the crop looks like...
Often in autmn we use organic fertilizer (liquid manure? )
Then we usually give 2 times mineral nitrogen in spring. Starting as early as possible. Usually at the end of february or beginning of march. So that the 1st part is right available when the vegetational development starts. The 2nd part is usually given when the plants start to stretch...The ratio is 60/40, 50/50 or 40/60. Depends on the crop status.

I dunno what it is called in english, but we use Ammonsulfatsalpeter (ASS), Schwefelsaures Ammoniak (SSA) or Kalkammonsalpeter (KAS). It depends on what you need (esp. sulphur 40kg/ha , magnesium etc.) and how fast it has to be availalble for the plants.

Sometimes we also give AHL ( Urea Ammonium Nitrate) with the sprayer during the bossom (30-40 l/ha)

Maybe translate these pages if you want really want to know more:

Ammonsulfatsalpeter
Kalkammonsalpeter

And always remember all the other substances, such as sulphur, mangan, bor, magnesium, calcium, molybdän etc :D

In real life its much more complicated, but I like to keep it short :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
We are hearing mixed reports about the US wheat crop down here in Australia.... the USDA is reporting or claiming its big crop and progressing well.....and then when i speak to blokes on the ground there like contractors actaully harvesting and some farmers, they are giving the complete opposite message....that is that it is really bad and in some areas worst in many years. What's going on over there??

Can any wheat farmers in the USA share some of their yields and let us know what is actually happening over there? FYI we have just finished planting here about 6 weeks ago

·
Registered
209 Posts
We are hearing mixed reports about the US wheat crop down here in Australia.... the USDA is reporting or claiming its big crop and progressing well.....and then when i speak to blokes on the ground there like contractors actaully harvesting and some farmers, they are giving the complete opposite message....that is that it is really bad and in some areas worst in many years. What's going on over there??

Can any wheat farmers in the USA share some of their yields and let us know what is actually happening over there? FYI we have just finished planting here about 6 weeks ago
The notion that the US has one wheat crop is somewhat misplaced.

Wheat is grown, to some extent, in almost every state. There are numerous major production areas, accounting for nearly half of the states. The US produces six different classes of wheat and, in each of the major producing regions, one class tends to be the major (in some cases, the only) type of wheat which is grown. So, it could be said that the US actually has several wheat crops.

If you look at this table, you will see that, over the last three years, planted acres, harvested acres and total production have not varied much from year to year. This is because poor yields in one region tend to be offset by good crops in other regions. Since wheat is grown, literally, from coast to coast in this country, and in so many different climatic zones, there is little chance for the whole of US wheat acres to be adversely affected by the weather.

That's one of the reasons why government reports aren't taken too seriously by anyone but commodity traders (and not even all of them). Most people know that, at the end of the year, the US will once again have produced around 2 billion bushels of wheat. There isn't much question about how much we will grow. The big variable is where it will go.

We're about a month away from winter wheat harvest here (right on the Canadian border). Our spring wheat probably won't go until the end of August. I'm guessing that WW will probably come in around 40-50 bushels/acre. The spring wheat could be close to that if we get one more good rain in July. I don't expect our yields to move the market. Montana doesn't seem to be in the USDA's script. :cool:

Mark

·
Registered
787 Posts
Arcus, your program for your wheat crop sounds simialar to what the guys down in the palouse do on there winter wheat. We usually just do one topdress when we spray for broadleaf weeds, as we don't get near as much moisture in our area as the the palouse does. Anyway things are looking pretty good around hear, right in the middle of fertilizing the fallow ground that will be seeded this august or early September. Harvest looks to be about 3 weeks away on our early ground, and yeilds look like they will be about average of 45 bushel per acre. Then we have about 7 to 10 days until the rest is ready to go and it looks to be above average which is to say most of it in the 70's and hopefully some in the 80's. Timely rains saved us, could have been a real bad crop otherwise.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Does anyone actually think the corn and bean acres are actually there that the USDA says is there? How will the late planting hurt yeild in the corn belt? I know the usda's job is to keep a cheap and stable food supply but they put out false numbers at our expense. Like we don't have enough going against us already then they have to kick us when we're down.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts