The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that heat effects canola during flowering - most of my crop had the top third blasted off. However, does heat effect its ability to fill the pods that are there? We have reasonable moisture but it looks like another hot week coming up...

·
Premium Member
5,952 Posts
The hotter the weather during filling the lower the tkw. Also if It gets hot enough to where the plant is loosing more moisture to evaporation than the root / vascular system can replace the pods will start to shrivel starting at the very top... this produces the "salt and pepper" seed that has no oil and is shriveled and a darkish red color.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Thought at first you meant HEAT the Chem.

One thing I would watch is kernel size and broken kernels at harvest and on the grading bench.
Size of slotted sieve when assessing conspicuous admix may have to be smaller elevators tend to use .038 or .040 on all samples where they maybe should be using .028 or .032 depending on consp admx.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.