The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We used liquid N and S and are think about going back to liquid P as well. Then our air seeder cart can be 100% seed making us a lot more efficient in seeding time. But it seems as though our soil test call for enough potash. Probably 50% of our acre need potash every year. We are think about just getting a floater in to blow on the potash in the fall. Do we need to till the ground and turn the potash under the soil? I know potash isnt very mobile but it is to a point. Just dont wAnt to have to work all thise acres

·
Registered
247 Posts
Been looking at doing the same since we run just straight liquid fert. Have been told by some yes can float it on but should heavy harrow after. Have also been told your wasting about 50% of it since its not mobile (will need to float on 30lbs/ac to get 15lbs in soil that i want).

·
Ken Adams
1,357 Posts
Good question and I hope you get a knowledgeable answer. I also found myself in a K shoratage after having been all liquid fert for 7 or 8 years now. I spread 150 lbs (0-0-60) an acre on 3/4 of farm last fall and could not get a good answer to question you are asking. I had spread some in past and did notice a difference for several years, so was comfortable with just spreading but would still like to know what losses are when left on surface over winter.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have a lot of unseeded acres due to excessive moisture. We thought about floating a bunch on, but this year we will work it into the soil. Most years we wont have time to work it all in so wondered about spreading the potash and hoping the airdrill would throw enough dirt to help it get into soil profile.

·
Premium Member
5,952 Posts
It won't all be there next year but eventually it will get there. Potassium isn't mobile and it is inert so gassing off isn't an issue. The thing is it won't get to the root zone the first year.

Standard practice is to apply onto snow even and not worry about it ;) jmho

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
all good advice so far from my experience. I have been advised by my agronomist(independent of any company or dealer) when my soil tests require levels of K which aren't safe for seed and impractical to fit in my 3rd air cart tank to double the amount required for the next crop if broadcasting. It won't go anywhere and will become available to subsequent crops.

·
Ken Adams
1,357 Posts
I like what I am reading. With 150 lbs product an acre, I was hoping enough would be available for this crop and maybe next 3-5 crops. Did some tissue tests after applying some micros last year and K was only one deficient, so am real hopeful on response.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I don't believe it needs to be incorporated but I don't think I would broadcast it in the fall and just leave it on top. Depending on the spring I think you could easily lose some with run off. We till our fields so I would either fall apply and then till or spring apply and then seed. We use 3 1/2" paired row openers on 10" which moves quite a bit of dirt that would cover it up as well. I just don't like the idea of it sitting on top and then get hit by a fast melt in the spring or a little monsoon coming through. Who knows how much would actually be lost and nutrients IN the soil could wash out to some extent as well. I would just feel a little better if it was under some soil.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.