The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
No, not for me in wheat. Am getting alot of chaff in center of radiator and can't find where it's getting in. Also does anybodys 9870 run hot on warmer days?
Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
swnd, I was told at a combine clinic last year that the 9870 is suppose to run warmer on hot days compared to the 9670 and 9770. It is suppose to be because the air scoop is not quite big enough to allow enough air in. By the looks of the "new deere" photos they have made to air scoop quite larger.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes it does. We have a 9760 and two 9610's. Through harvest we have to blow out the 9610's every couple of days. Didn't blow out the 9760 until we were cleaning it up to put away for the winter.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Re: does the air scoop really help in minimizing radiator cleaning?

Sure, it helps as the top of the combine has the cleanest air. The chaff and dirt blows around the back and sides, especially in tailwinds. Perhaps Deere picked this up from the XBR2 Bi-rotor as it had dual overhead rotary screens, air intake from above. Additional features included radiator and AC Condensor on left side with its own main engine fan. The hydrostat and main hydraulic oil cooler and fans were on the opposite, right side, with their own overhead air intake and rotary screen. That worked good and made sense on the XBR2 in 1995, and finally made it to production in 2007. It takes time, but maybe more of the Bi-Rotor features will surely continue to follow as younger engineers work their influence into these products.

·
Registered
36 Posts
No...and our 2 9870's run hot on 70 degree days or above when under a load...Our 9860sts w/o the Air Scoop doesnt even attempt to run hot unless its 110 out and its under a major load

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Hmmm, based on the comments above, it appears to me that the 9870s have more problems running hot, than the 9770s and 9670s. No big surprise there, but I sure have NOT had overheating problems on the 9770 this year.

·
Registered
324 Posts
For the guys with 9870s there is a fix as fail pip with the overheating. Here is the description of the PIP(Product Improvement Program) Part number for PIP 10HX335. As far as the air scoop Yes it helps. I have added them to the 50 series and that helps them a lot nut you have to have the high pressure common rail fuel system because the cooling system is bigger and will keep the engine cool. The 50 series with the inline pumps had a smaller cooling system and can't keep up.
CLASSIFICATION : Fix-As-Fail

PRODUCTS AFFECTED :

9870STS
S690STS
• Machines in this program will be within the following serial number ranges:
H09870S725101 – H09870S731030
H0S690E725101 – H0S690E725278
H0S690H725101 – H0S690H725130
H0S690E730101 – H0S690E730127
H0S690H730101 – Only
• Some machines in the serial number range do not require this PIP to be completed. An exception list of those machines will not be printed. Dealers should reference the branch PIN list provided in DTAC solution 85641 for machines involved in this PIP.
• If this PIP is not listed under the machines PIP history, the PIP does not need to be completed, and claims will not be accepted.
SITUATION :

A few combines with 13.5L engines may overheat. It has been found that the cooling fan may not protrude far enough into the fan shroud. Thus, the new fan shroud has been designed to assure more fan immersion.
CORRECTION :

A new fan shroud has been designed to assure more fan immersion which will improve air flow.

·
Registered
723 Posts
The "fix as fails" term should be, if you have a 9870 and your combine keeps overheating, it should be fixed via warranty...

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Put me on the YES side, our 9660 STS with Scoop runs quite a bit cooler than our 9610. On windy days in alfalfa seed the little spiral threads that hold the a. seed pods together will blow around the back of the combine and plug the rotary screen on the 9610 but the 9660 is unaffected.

·
Premium Member
4,367 Posts
We had very minor rad buildup on our old 9860 (12.5L) which never ran hot. Our new 9870s (2008 & 2010) models never get hot and never have any rad issues. We do however had tons of issue with air filters plugging. More so on the past 9860 but still very relevant on the 9870s.

·
Registered
412 Posts
We had a New Holland brought out for a demo, and it had to keep stopping to brush some kind of screen off every hour or so since the wind wasn't blowing enough to keep the leaves from blowing away.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts