The Combine Forum banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,314 Posts
We built a 40x80' about 10 years ago that was cheap compared to today's prices but do I think it will pay for itself in 20 years? Nope. Would I ever give it up? Never! It's not like you can't do some of your own service work outdoors but I prefer doing it in Jan in a heated shop vs in June when I should be spraying or field scouting. It's also a fun place to hang with then farm crew after a days work.

·
Registered
23 Posts
"What do others figure they do to make their shops pay. I am not qualified to work on engines or transmission but anything else I enjoy tackling."
My shop keeps my tools Organized and equipment in good repair. I traded a used combine , A TR99 and it was 1999 with 1500 sep hr. It was in awsome shape. Great paint, new rub bars, elevator chains, new pick up teeth,ect.. Any scratched paint was repainted, I put old blankets in the cab to encourage a cat to sleep in there all winter.( hey it works no mice)
My point is i got well above fair market value 75k and i know the next owner will be happy with that machine too. If i didnt have a shop i couldn't keep my equipment this well.
My shop gives me off farm income as i run a Oil Field Service all winter and without heated place to start from my trucks would not be as reliable. The Trucks pay rent and the income is absorbed into the farm to pay for whatever. Yes the shop was expensive, but its value adds to the farm value (every year it costs more to built that same shop). And keeps my trade in value high.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts