The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this is the right spot to post this, but what an interesting week. We had a van with 3 guys pull up to the shop on the farm yard on Tuesday. Wouldn't get out just honked and yelled from the seats(this should have been my first clue). They were (so they said) from a paving company that had a machine broke down and they had to fix the machine. But in order to fix the machine they had to get rid of the reclaimed asphalt in the machine. So they were wondering if they could pour a pad in for us at a discounted price. Normally it should be $10 a square foot, but, they would do it for $4, cause we were helping them out. Long story short, they didn't do anything they said. Oh, they made a pad alright, of dirt and gravel. Then they demanded that we paid them right there for what they did. $11,000 bill is what they handed us. So my oldest brother said they weren't getting paid until we had a real asphalt company come and test what they just did. They yelled and left the yard. They have called my cell phone about 50 times demanding they be paid, they even cut their bill down, first to $4500, then to $1500.(Wasn't that nice of them?)I offered them $200, they declined. I told them they can come and clean the crap off our yard before I paid them. So I guess we aren't out anything, we never paid them and the pad will eventually get work in with the rest of the gravel on the yard. But what guts it took for these guys over a couple of days to line all this work up and then vanish. They had business cards and and invoice for the work. As hard as I tried on the phone to get these guys back on the yard, I couldn't. Wow a long story made long. It was a couple of guys from the U.K. The "leader" was about 65 and incredibly fat. His reply to my $200 offer was, that he spend more than that feeding his kids candy. I was thinking he looked like he just ate some kids.....The other two were also white males but around 30 ish. They are likely heading back to British Columbia, but not sure. They mentioned thats where they were from. So I guess this story just boils down to if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is. And go with your gut. Wow there is more details but I just wanted to warn people about this. I know of one farm not far where they did some work, exactly same as our place, but they paid them and couldn't get the cheque stopped in time.

·
Super Moderator
2,645 Posts
I had a guy approach me this summer, sounds like a similar scam.
I was in the city of Red Deer at the time, give him my business card, it felt kinda screwy, but never (I now feel fortunately) heard from him again.

Don

F

·
0 Posts
Had a guy show up this summer with a metal late, air compressor, 20 ton press, and some smaller tools kicking around. He to was heading back to BC. Told me he wanted $300 for the whole lot. SO I asked him if I would have any problems insuring this stuff, and he left in a bit of a hurry.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Heard the same paving story one day at work. Told him to call my boss, which he never did. A week or so later he also stopped by one of my neighbors and told the same story, they knew it was kinda fishy as there were no paving jobs around.

·
Super Moderator
2,645 Posts
Not sure it was the same guy Farmerleach, this guy had diesel and gas generators, a press and some other stuff, about 1/3 price according to him.
Luckily I was swamped that day, being I'm the good neighbor I am, sent him there.

Don

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Sounds like the guys that want to paint your barn. Our poor neighbor when he was a newbie got one of those paint jobs. Paint looks about like water and food coloring. I'm glad to have learned that lesson from Dad.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ha those guys with the truck full of tools sure made their rounds, they stopped by our place as well. I looked at the stuff but it is just cheaply made knock off tools. I told him if I wanted tools like that I can get them at princess auto, then I could at least bring them back if they break and get a new one. And just like Don, I sent him to a neighbour as well, one that I know has no time or patience for salesmen. LOL. I got the name off the side of the truck and googled it but came up blank. Hmmm. It was supposed to be some kind of big manufactur blow out. But when you look at the boxes the tools and that were in, the pictures on the side are all stickers and not the nice looking pictures that are usually printed onto the packaging.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Don't even waste your time talking to solicitors, those paving guys run around all over they'll level out the gravel you've got and lay down a 1" pad that won't hold up your pickup.

·
Registered
886 Posts
You'd think if they had half a brain they'd at least be in an area where there was a paving job being done, it would be half believable then.

·
Registered
320 Posts
They hit alot of farms in southern Manitoba this spring and word got on the radio pretty quick and must have sent them packing to Sask. You should have seen them coming with no trees in the way.lol

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lol funny. I just goes to show that nothing good comes from Manitoba! (yes it did take me til today to think of that......let the provincial wars begin! LOL.)

·
Registered
521 Posts
There used to be a real old, bachelor man that lived about 7 miles away from my place. He was mentally handicapaped to some degree, the guy just was not all there. I'm not making fun of him; in fact, I helped him (for free) on several occassions. One year I plowed his field, then planted hay for him 'cause all his equipment was junk.
Anyway, one day a group not unlike what you describe pulled up and laid some asphalt from the highway to his front gate--all toll it was about 30 yds. long (and about 6 feet wide). Keep in mind that this old man was about 85 at the time, frail, and simply not in his right mind. He later conveyed to me that he told them over & over that he did NOT want the asphalt, and that he did not have them money; but they did the job, it looked like crap, and then they demanded $6,500. (yeah, that's six thousand, five hundred dollars!) The sad thing is that they scared (intimidated) him so bad that he actually paid them. He later told me that they followed him to the bank!! What freakin' nerve these guys low-lifes had !!
I knew absolutely nothing about it until a few weeks later I happened by his house. I saw the "paving job" and asked all about it. I felt SO sorry for him, and wished to the Lord that I had been around when those gypsies were there !! Those men were heartless, and clearly took advantage of this man... I hope they are subject to "what goes around comes around". I can think of several other sayings that apply, but I will hold my tongue.. I tried to contact them on this man's behalf, but the ph. numbers they provided on the b.s. 'invoice' were bogus.
The old timer passed away about a year after that fiasco. This man was totally alone, and did not have the money for a proper burial. He got one, though, because of decent folks.

·
Registered
917 Posts
This summer I was at the local store I seen three guys in there could tell the weren't local they weren't even (half breeds 1/2 Dutch 1/2 anything else but Dutch) anyways they all had the same company shirt on . were clean and seemed nice I figured they were some guys that there company sent them to MOntana for a fishing trip so I struck up a coversation with them what they were doing there ... well they worked for a tool company selling generatores presser washers and they did some big home show and they weren't able to sell everthing because of the economy so they were just tring to off load for under cost just so they could get home for easter or somthing so I went out to there truck it was all new direct from china the prices were not that great I had pretty much had everthing that I needed so I I thought of a couple of neibors so I called them to see if I could help them luckly the neibor had allready heard aought these fine sellsmen they had been convasing the whole state I found the same namebrand they were selling could buy it on the net for aought a 1/3 less than what they were trying to giv e it to me for... at least in this case a guy would have got some crappy china stuff instead of either no asphalt or worthless asphhalt

·
Registered
467 Posts
The pavement scammers are back at it in Southern Alberta. They almost pulled one over on some of my relatives today. My wife happened to be talking to them on the phone and mentioned that they were getting some paving done. She said some guy had just showed up and had some extra asphalt that he needed to get rid of. I immediately remembered reading this thread and started asking questions.

They started out at $4/sqft and ended up at $1/sqft. The project was a driveway about seven feet wide and a few hundred feet long. The bill should have come to around $2000 but was suddenly over $18,000. Apparently the "asphalt" looked more like dirt and used oil mixed together.

Needless to say they were sent packing. In the end my relatives got a load of gravel for free and a bit of a mess to clean up. Unfortunately the RCMP were busy at the time and didn't show up in time to catch the crooks.

This happened in the Taber/Vauxhall area so be on the lookout, I imagine they will be moving on after this but I thought I'd share anyway. Thanks to everybody here for posting and making others aware, it really paid off today!

F

·
0 Posts
Its funny this thread came back. Last thursday the same guy as last year stoped by, wanting to sell a new bandsaw and press.

·
Registered
467 Posts
That is a strange coincidence, you would think that these guys might give up eventually. If they'd put all that effort into something worthwhile they might actually accomplish something.

I suppose crime will always pay better, at least until our justice system gets some teeth that is. I'm not holding my breath on that one though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
When I worked for the JD dealer here they got shafted by a Jack Repair Scam, they rebuilt about 10 jacks offered a year warranty on their work and after they left, I found out that they were charged almost $800 for the work and that they charged $400 to rebuild one big jack which you could buy a new one for little bit over $500, I about s**t when I found out what it cost and brought that to the attention of the shop foreman that it was a tad out of line, but being an idiot(him not me) sometimes helps the scam out, Needless to say that after a couple of weeks the jacks they repaired started to leak just sitting there on the floor, just like they did before they were fixed, the shop manager tried called the phone number that they left which was a Colorado type number but I noticed that they drove pickups with a New Mexico tag, of course they were not to be found, well about a year and a half later some guys showed up asking if we had any jacks that needed resealed and of course we did, I was out on a service call when they showed up and the shop foreman(same jack as last time) didnt remember the last time this happened and was hauling the jacks out to them already to have them fixed, I asked him if these were the same guys as last time and he said no, looked at their business card and it had a different name but was made exactly the same as the one they used before since we happened to have the first one hanging in the office still, I walked around the shop to the outside and they had everything under a tarp in the pickup and was all covered up all they were doing was putting new oil in them and cleaning all the oil and dirt off and sending them back in, The shop foreman paid them $400 again, I asked the guy if he was with the same crew and got in his face but he already had his money and was haulin a** out the door and I saw the other half of their crew drive through and they all had New Mexico tags on their pickups, same crew just a different half of it, I told the shop foreman the next time some body shows up to work on jacks to give me the money and I would just throw them away it would be cheaper in the long run, Sometimes you just cant fix stupid he is one on the reasons I dont work for JD anymore

·
Registered
39 Posts
here in ks we have the fly by night guys that come in and want to paint quonsets, barns, and other big buildings. looks good and nice for a year or two and then the paint starts to fade. they say they are local, drive a local vehicle, but let me tell you they have a southern drawl that is not local at all.

one of the tool sales is a guy called m.h. loper. he is very entertaining as an auctioneer.i remember buying some drill bits. unfortuneately i tried using them on wood. that was not good, it was worse on metal. now if i had to drill thru cardboard i would have been in excellent shape.

its no joke to pay more for local and what you know.

·
Registered
114 Posts
These paver guys have been around for awhile, in the spring of 2007, the same guy with the English accent showed up at my door during lunch with the same story of having extra
asphalt and would lay it down for around $4 a foot. I did take his card and said I would call him later on it, he wrote a number on the back. A couple hours later, after thinking there was no paving going on in the area, so where would the asphalt come from? I did call him and told him I was not interested anymore. But I was d**n close to hiring him, good thing I didnt, because if they did come in and lay a bunch of crap down and try and demand a inflated payment, I may have been replying to this from the crowbar hotel!!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts