The Combine Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Those guys often travel the world to pull these scams...mostly Irish guys that come in do one job and visit everybody in the neighbor hood. They do some nice work too...mostly rip offs..often guys will bring the bill to the wife and try and overcharge.

·
Registered
172 Posts
A couple guys showed up at my farm yesterday and said they had left over asphalt from paving a highway and said they would give me a deal on it. Told them I was busy and had no time for them. Guy talking had British accent. They were driving white Chev truck with Ontario plates. I never took time to get a card
We had a guy show up today with a brand new 2014 White GMC 3500 Dually truck, had a british accent, and also had the same story as you where he had about a truck load or two left over from a job in Outlook,SK. So he offered to make us a nice little parking pad for where we park our three pickup trucks at a price of $60/sq yard (Finished Price). I was able to get his business card and I'm not 100% sure this is the same guy but sounds awfully close. I also googled the address on the card and it came up as a UPS Store (though I'm not sure if thats out of date or not.) Either way, I attached a picture of his business card, maybe it will help someone avoid a scam.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
This is hilarious... is there a record for how many times a thread has been resurrected?

Never had the asphalt guys here. However, several times the good old guy with a truck load of generators, welders, power washers, and trash pumps has shown because he just left the "show" and is driving around trying to get rid of the stuff. Like Don said, send him to the neighbor!

Last fall a guy stops with a truck load of grease and oils. Someone close to here just backed out of this order and I need to dump it quick and cheap so I can get back home. "sorry I just stocked up and have no room, but I sure the guy down the road is interested."

The best for me was last April 10th. Two guys in a half ton truck with a freezer in the back show up trying to sell me steaks. $500 worth of meat, will sell it for $200 and you can keep the freezer. Sorry guys I don't buy meat out of the back of a pickup. I didn't have the heart to send him to the neighbors. My fire chief is also a very good friend of mine, gave them directions to his house instead. What can I say, I owed him one!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Gypsies!...Want to pave your driveway..paint your barns..clean your carpets..steal your stuff too...

I tell 'em to pound sand on sight and if no-go I show them my really cool Smith&Wesson....

·
Registered
116 Posts
Had the guys with all the big tools in the yard to a couple of times, They always had some weird story about an early freeze-up up north.
Also guys wanting to paint the galvanised grain bins, sealing grain bins and putting lightning rods on top of the machine shed.
And of course insurance people.
Also the power-up oil guy, (not a scam maybe)Fell for this one, never bought at the door since.

·
Premium Member
5,264 Posts
460 thanks for the warning. The shotgun is always handy to handle the skunks and other varmits like these paving guy scams.

·
Registered
63 Posts
We get guys out of Arkansas that want to paint the roofs of our sheds drop by usually in June. The other day we had guys with a pickup load of tools that were just demonstrated and couldn't be sold at full price so their boss told them to sell them at a deal on the way home. So they would give us this and that if we just paid for the generator. Last year we had 3 different ones from the same company pull up where we were working.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I guess those guys are in southern Alberta now.The guy with the white chevy and a strong English/Irish accent was at the door here half an hour ago.They did the neighbours driveway 2 days ago (small acreage) we will see how long that will last.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Irish Gypsies that move around year to year with their paving scam. Alberta North was their target in 2011, suspect they'll be back around here any time. They set up every spring and vacate every september.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
They are not all scams. Seen lots of older galvanized bins painted over the last 10 years and the paint they put on looks excellent 10 years later. Farmers are the target audience for some of these.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I thought ND was the only pace where everybody painted their grain bins. i'll take galvanized over painted over any day

·
Registered
593 Posts
That generator guy was here once. my uncle asked him how often he has to change the spark plug in his diesel generators. BTW we didnt buy anything.

·
Super Moderator
2,645 Posts
Not a scam?

Don't think it's a scam but a guy selling security systems was by Friday.
Claims all kinds of sales to neighbours, a bunch (1800$'S supposedly) of free equipment all in the move to get you sucked into yet another monthly rent.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I bought a diesel and gas generator trash pump power washer and air compressor from some Mexican fellows. Similar story was demo equipment or something. Told me is was legitimate, told me to call the sheriff if I thought it was stolen. Even had warrantees. And I used it with no problems. Regulator went out of gas generator mailed me a new one no problem. Still using both generators. Air compressor motor locked up one winter got it free and worked all spring but come fall it had no compression. Power washer didn't run right but didn't have much use for it. Same with trash pump

·
Registered
756 Posts
Bringing up an old topic......BEWARE in MB right now. It would seem as the fat guy with the British accent is still at it. He came here today offering leftover Asphalt for a couple bucks a square ft. I remembered this thread from a few years ago and something didn't seem right. I asked him where his accent was from and he said he was born in Wpg but spent time in Australia. I told him that I knew there was scammers around with accents pushing Asphalt and he got a little defensive. He said his name was Don.....didn't offer a last name. I Google mapped the address on the business card and it's a Esso gas station with a Macs in It!! Anyway....watch out.....he's a 60 something fat guy with a big grey beard driving a maroon I think Dodge Journey.....oh and he had an orange safety vest on......guess that's to make him look more Legit!!

41 - 56 of 56 Posts