The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at John Deere yesterday, and there was a guy in there that was trading his 9610 in on a 9760 because a 36 foot draper header (JD) 'could not be fitted on his machine'. (that is what the salesman told him)
Is this true? A JD Draper can not be fitted? I mean, I thought it could, with some sort of kit and modification.
Was this some sort of scheme contrived by the JD salesman to get this older guy into a 9760, or is this fact?
Later, I was talking to the guy (it would not have been my place to butt-in while they were talking) and I asked if he had looked at MacDon. He quickly replied that he had a friend who had used MacDons, and never would again...I dropped the subject, because I did not know this cat & it was none of my business; and second, I could tell there was no changing his mind...

A lot of the wheat around in the panhandle of Texas is not too good. I mean a 9610 with a 36 foot Draper is about what is needed...the combine will not be overloaded..

So, plz tell if a JD Draper, 36', could be modded (or the 9610 modded) to accomodate it. Also, could a MacDon fit? I just find it hard to believe that there is nothing that can be done for people with 9610s that want draper headers...I think the JD salesman just got a tricky sale, but I hope Im wrong.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
it does make u wonder why he didn't like macdons... lol

also u go from a lil 9610 to a 9760? that's a heck of a jump isn't it??

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have run a 36' JD draper in some poor double crop milo on a 9600 and got along fine. Very light on the rearend, and I would not road it that way. I have also ran a 36' MacDon 960 on it which is lighter. The only reason I don't like it on the 9600, is that the factory chopper doesn't do a very good job of spreading the straw that far. If the 9600 was newer and in better shape I would upgrade the chopper and run the 36 foot all of the time in wheat.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Sounds like the salesman pulled one over on that guy. If it were up to me I would fire him before he pulls anymore trickery like that. You can mount a 936D on a 9610. For awhile we ran one on a CTS II which is a 10 series combine and last year we ran the same header on an 8820, thats right an 8820. Never had problem with either setup roading them or in the hills. Add to that I have seen several 9600s with 936D headers and I have a neighbor running that setup.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. You know, I just knew in my heart (even yesterday) that a person could make a 36' draper fit a 9610 !! I thought to myself, "Man, if this has not been done yet, then I need to do it !!!! "

I just got off the phone with that ol' man...hahahahaha! He is LIVID !!!! I think there is gonna be somebody that gets a big ol' piece taken out of their back-side over that little white lie !!! What a crock: to tell a faithful, long-time customer that he could not put a draper on his 10 series, just to sell a new(er) machine...I mean this ol' man bleeds green..to pull that stunt seems very desperate to me.
And for you that are local to my area: it was not at the store that you are probably thinking of (not the Amarillo store), so don't try to think who it was that did it...
hahaha

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Yeah i would give him a piece of my mind too! the width of jd's feederhouses hasn't changed in a long time! all the 10 would have needed was different hydraulic couplings and drive shafts instead of the chain design they had then. their is guy on here that has put a 936 on an 8820.

·
Registered
578 Posts
yea but it was probably one of the other sister stores of the ripoff joint in Amarillo huh??? davedan runs a 9650 walker with a 936d just fine. has for several years. they are basically the same machine as a 9610. i have a 36ft macdon for my 10 now. dodged the hail again tonight so i still might get to use it this year afterall.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Salesmen can be pretty shady but that's a bad one. It's so simple to hook a 9610 to a draper and they work quite nicely. If it has the heavy duty lift cylinders it'll handle it no problem. In fact, a 9610 with a hi-inertia cylinder, power chip, and 36ft header has considerable capacity.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was thinking about you last night, Jon. I am happy for you--that you dodged the bullet(s) (the hail), or should I say the baseballs ..?? Just north of me, near Panhandle, the hail got nasty. I was talking to a guy I know up in that area, and he said that the pickups around got hammered pretty bad. He was hoping that because it was cool when it happened, and that it was supposed to get pretty hot today that the dings might come out of his trucks.... I told him not to hold his breath on that one!! I need to call him and ask if those dents magically came out !! (not!)

For some reason, I thought the feederhouses on the new rotors (for example 9760) were wider/larger for some reason. I guess I was wrong....at any rate, this ol' man nearly got shafted hard. Like I said, I called the guy and told him the real story. What he does from here on out is totally his business, because I am completely out of the picture .I never wanted in the picture, but I could not just sit by and let that one alone !! If I had, then some of the 'blood' would have been on my hands--that's the way I saw it, anyway...He said he is going to go ahead and lease the combine for wheat harvest '09. If he loves the machine, he thinks he might keep it...if he doesn't, he is gonna just lease it, and turn it back in. If he ends up purchasing the combine, his lease money will be applied to the machine..blah blah blah....

You're a pretty smart guy, BrewMax... I am going to bet that you can figure out of which store (or family of stores) such lies came from.

You know, I sit here and read (on this Forum) where these other guys just love their dealer...how the dealer goes out of their way to accomodate them....geeeez, oh how I wish I could say the same thing, and mean it !!! CIH in my area is no good, and [they] show up to work on stuff in a little pint-sized p/up and a handfull of tools in a 5 gallon bucket...I'm like "Here, would you like to use my end wrenches? my sockets? can I provide you with some zip ties and some hand cleaner?"
Then, behind door number two we have the Green Guys. Their pickups are bigger and newer, and they show up with tools, but the sales dept. is.....well, I will let you figure out what they are doing !!!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Funny, Ive never had dealer support in my life. Probably because I dont buy new equipment, or get told white lies.
If a guy gets one adaptor for the reverser and early multi hook up hydraulics the 936 will hook right up. They claim you need the hi cap lift cylinders but Ive never tried without. The harness isnt really that important. I run my draper speed wide open and never change it so I dont really use the in cab controls or need the correct harness.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
TX farmer i know the case guys aren't as glamourous as deere but do they do a good job? not trying to start crap.. just curious..

its funny how dealers operate... some still try to present a casual look while some will show up in a brand new F550 cummins huge crane hanging off the back and get very little accomplished lol..

like i said not starting anything just curious... wish you had a better dealer too... its always good to have competition...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Refering to who you're not talking about (make sense?), is it that shizster Colby Flamming at Western???? If so, I can personally testify about what a cheating/lying buffoon he is.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Regarding the salesman telling a customer that a 36 foot draper won't fit on a 9610 is just flat wrong. If he knew this up front, it's a lie, and if he didn't know for certain if it would work, there is no harm in asking questions to find out (I do that all the time). I am sorry to hear about this customer's experience. There are instances where things happen between a customer and a dealership that are unavoidable, but this is certainly not one of them. People remember those things...and they tell their neighbors who also remember those things.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Refering to who you're not talking about (make sense?), is it that shizster Colby Flamming at Western???? If so, I can personally testify about what a cheating/lying buffoon he is.

Owwwwwwwch!!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Sorry, I'm just a little bitter. He's really a nice guy.

Edit: I know its hard to please all your customers, when you refuse to return calls from the customer who is having problems with the item you sold them, that just looks bad. C'mon man, you're wearing green and yellow stripes.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

OK, I said that is was not at the Amarillo store, so it could not have been Colby, right? If you have a beef with Colby, that is fine & none of my business, but don't use me & what I said to get your rant with him going. I could not have said 'it was not the Amarillo store' any more clearly..
Personally, I think Colby is alright. I have had several dealings with him ; and so far, we are alright with each other. I always have my guard up though, and do my homework before darkening the door of any dealer with my presence. Like all of 'em around here, you have to know what you're talking about and you have to know what you want before you go in there. I dont tihnk it is a place where you can go in there and simply ask them "what do I need to do this particular job?"....
Blake (in Amarillo) is also alright. Have any of you been stung by Blake? He used to be a CAT salesman ; and from the dealings I have had with him, seems to be above-board.
I just never forget that all these guys are there for one main thing: to sell equipment. That is the only thing they are paid for--promoted for.

Changing gears:
I had some of my wheat appraised by my crop insurance company yesterday. The appraisal was a little higher than I thought it would be, so I did not accept their appraisal. There is a lot to happen in the next 30 days. If the wind blows, and it gets real hot, the wheat will blast out. We could also have a hail storm between now and what would be harvest time, and that could wipe it out 100%. If I took their appraisal, I would have been locked in. The way I see it, the appraisal [of the wheat] can only get worse between now and the next 30 days. I really wish I had a draper platform! There is no doubt that a 36 foot hitched to my 9600 would be a good combination this year. It is going to be hard to get that ultra short stuff to feed in.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Shoot, I gotcha. He probably is an alright I guy. I just had to pop off about it though when I saw 'amarillo store.' The shops guys were very nice though and went out there way to help up load the implement how we wanted.

Anyways, a couple post in and I'm already worn out of this thread. Y'all havea good one. Good luck finding a draper!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Shane, so sorry you are "worn out" by this thread...

I started talking about all this 'cause some poor ol' man was about to get hosed !! You know how threads go from there...they kinda take on a life of their own...
BTW: where do you live? your pic makes me think around Springlake-Earth, for some reason..haha! dont know why it does..but I would like to know where you live.

Sam (bighp), I use Marco on parts, too. If I can't talk to him or Vernon I get spooked !! I was in there yesterday, as was trying to get some extra walker risers (10 of them) for my 9600. At first, a parts guy (not sure of his name--it wasnt Marco or Vernon) tried to tell me part "x" was what I needed...I was like...no, I dont THINK SO !! I went back and asked Lupe, the combine expert there (have you dealt with him? nice guy), and he said that part that the parts guy was offering was all wrong..I said "Yep, I thought so!!" If I would have ordered what he recommended, I would have gotten some sort of walker riser, but it would have been about 2 ft. long, and 16" tall...NO WAY would that have worked!! Plus, the part he was recommending was like $54 each. The correct walker risers are about $10 each, and I ordered 10 of them.

What kind of draper were you running? I was paying attention when you said "MacDon", but what was the model of it? 960 by chance? What would be a make/model of used draper that us drylanders could afford? I can't just go buy a new JD draper, know what I mean? I am sure MacDon is good, but dont know where I would get parts...Maybe in Tulia..??
I just worked a deal with Blake on a JD 8410 mfwd, and he was very cordial about the whole deal.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I hope you guys experience with Flake, ahem i mean Blake is better than mine. Been there done that---AND WON'T AGAIN!! I bought my 9610 from him a few years ago and to say the least i wasnt pleased with him nor Lupe the bolt leaving loose "expert".

Tx you can get MacDOn parts in Dimmitt @ WB equipment. I dont know if its them or MacDon one , but someone is very slow about getting parts out. I sure hope during harvest my parts wait isnt like it has been here lately while going over my draper getting it ready.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts