The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
we are farming in Australia and we grow alot of small seed crops like cowpea (beans) and other lab lab crops that are vines as well as grass seed that we direct harvest green And wet, most farms around are running draper's but still a few augers getting around and I'm still running a auger (1010) myself on 2188 but looking to update to a 7120 with the option of either a macdon 2152 or a case ih 3020.
what's everyone's thoughts considering our condition's. thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
I farm in US - also irrigated. I ran an 8010 with a 40' 2142. I also ran a 7230 with a 3020 header. I wouldn't go back to an auger header, I've been nothing but drapers for 30 years and they are great for wheat.

I grow some peas but not many so I never had the cross crop auger installed (pea auger as some call it). Neither of those headers were very good in my peas without that option and, if you do much of that, I'd get the optional pea auger.

Comparing the 2142 to the 3020 - I think the 2142 is a better header. That really is a phenomenal header. The 3020 was fine too though but, I felt the 2142 was better at contouring the ground in rough terrain. I run dry farm as well - in that scenario, we end up down in the dirt quite a bit. That proved problematic to the bearings on the 2142 in the center draper. It seemed I could get a season and a half out of them but, finally decided that it was worth changing them at the beginning of the season and then I knew I'd be fine.

I imagine the 2152 is only better than the 2142 at contouring but maintains the other strengths of that particular header.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
The 2152 is a rigid draper header. It doesn't flex. It can float along the ground quite nicely if your land is flat, though. A 3020 is an auger flex header. If you need to flex cut close to the ground, the 2152 will probably not be good enough. You'd be better off looking at a 2162 or an FD 70 or FD 75.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for your comments, most guys are happy with there draper's, a few guys say they would like to have the auger front back sometimes. the only real reason I'm considering the 3020 is that it's half price and brand new. don't really need the flex although it maybe Handy sometimes

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Maybe I've just forgotten how to use auger headers, but the few hours I put on a borrowed auger head this fall were pretty miserable. If material piles up on the floor between the knife and the drum there's just no way to clear it.

On the other hand we were flex cutting alfalfa seed and when things got damp we definitely had dirt get inside the drapers and had to open up the drapers several times to clean out the wet dirt.

So there are tradeoffs depending on conditions. You already know what an auger does. It's hard to argue with the half price cost.

·
Registered
900 Posts
How often are you on the deck w those crops?
Will 35ft ( the biggest width they make(?)) keep your machine full?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How often are you on the deck w those crops?
Will 35ft ( the biggest width they make(?)) keep your machine full?
in Grass seed we can keep the machine full with a 25ft at 1.8mph. but sometimes in other crops no. we don't cut to the deck all the time but.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts