The Combine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am swathing around 500 acres of orchardgrass seed in New Zealand annually and we are currently using two hesston 6665's auger front machines. We are concerned about seed loss via rubbing and shattering during cutting and are contemplating changing to draper swathers. Does anyone know anything about this and is one better than the other?? Thanks

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Your concerns and thoughts are right on the money. I used to run the 6665 hesston. Fine head for its day. Then went to the Macdon 932 auger head. Vast improvement. Still, a lot of shatter damage in the fescue and ryegrass. This damage is not all the fault of the auger, it is largely the reel size and design as well.

Now running 2 Macdon 972 drapers. The larger reels turn slower and the drapers are very passive at transporting the grass to the opening.

It's highly unlikely that I will ever go back to any type of auger header. However, one thing you will need to do before season, is remove a draper canvas a time or two so you know exactly what it takes to replace one and keep an extra canvas on hand.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Good point with the pre season rehersal Doorknob!!!
By the way I would agree with the draper type head. Your swath would be much more even too=better feeding when you harvest=better yields because you can keep a more even load on the combine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information, I assumed as much but had not considered the belt changing issue, thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts