The Combine Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
There are places that do vulcanizing. Had a set of drive rollers on a JD 936D that were just plain steel and would slip. Got them vulcanized and problem solved. Can't remember the name of the company in Winnipeg that does this. Where are you located?

·
Registered
403 Posts
On the swathers starting with the d65, macdon has gone away from the vulcanized drive roller to a steel roller with ribs on either end. If you google search d65 draper drive rollers they show up. Only time a draper has stopped with these new rollers is when a rock got wedged underneath.

Reason I bring this up is that on other drive rollers (grain legs, conveyor belts), we've taken the drive rollers and placed small spot welds on them. Never had any issues with belt slippage after that.

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,691 Posts
Most brands of Draper fronts have slip on rubbers you get from the spares dept

I have done quite a few Macdon and Hbee, ust soapy up the roller then pull the rubber piece over

They are in short sections so they are easier to get on or if you only want to do a damaged end.

·
Registered
985 Posts
In a pinch if you have lots of slippage loosen the canvas and put some honey in there. It works and was used by my Grandpa on everything from chop crusher belts with the old flywheel set up. Back in the day on threshing machines as well. When applying to V belts be VERY VERY conservative. One or 2 drops at the most. It will literally try and make the belt follow the pulley around vibrating like crazy or break the belts. You will never need a can of belt dressing again. On a canvas when thing get dry and polished the honey sticks fine particles of debri to the roller and canvas giving grip. You don't have to as conservative with it as a V belt application. I had a wore serpentine pulley that was wearing my fan belt out on my combine bad. I had a 1 1/2 day wait for a pulley and honey got me thru til the pulley showed up and made the new belt survive until the pulley showed up.

·
Registered
376 Posts
In a pinch if you have lots of slippage loosen the canvas and put some honey in there. It works and was used by my Grandpa on everything from chop crusher belts with the old flywheel set up. Back in the day on threshing machines as well. When applying to V belts be VERY VERY conservative. One or 2 drops at the most. It will literally try and make the belt follow the pulley around vibrating like crazy or break the belts. You will never need a can of belt dressing again. On a canvas when thing get dry and polished the honey sticks fine particles of debri to the roller and canvas giving grip. You don't have to as conservative with it as a V belt application. I had a wore serpentine pulley that was wearing my fan belt out on my combine bad. I had a 1 1/2 day wait for a pulley and honey got me thru til the pulley showed up and made the new belt survive until the pulley showed up.
Same here but we used corn syrup

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've used some crap that 3-M makes.. Its rubber in a can, sticky, and the tip plugs after about 3 seconds, but it got me through the last section of canola picking up windrows last year.. Spray it on the roller itself. This was on a pickup head. Seemed to wear off so theres no mess left

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Heat shrink tubing is available in sizes big enough for a roller. Don't know how it would stand up in regards to wear resistance but have worked with some pretty thick walled stuff that is hard to cut with a utility knife when doing high voltage work.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I know MacDon makes replacement rubber sleeves to go over the rollers on their older draper heads but they are expensive. I just figured I'd mention a trick to try if you do go with some sort of rubber tube you want to slip over the roller. Slide the end of a blow gun between the rubber tube and the roller. It is amazing how easy it is to install when there is a layer of air between the rubber tube and the roller.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
That honey idea is neat, never heard of that before!

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
With my luck, I would come back in the morning to find a bear had ripped the canvases off the swather trying to get at the honey!!

·
Registered
985 Posts
LOL Kevlar that is a good point. I never thought of that and am busting a gut laughing at this knowing full well it could happen here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts