The Combine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing some thinking the past bit and want to see if I have any logic to this.

Currently have a FC 5000 on 9" spacing. Using 3" paired row openers. Its single shoot so I band my fert (dry) in the fall with it. For cereals and fert it does a good job. Would sooner have a knife opener on it for canola and soys.

Hypothetically if it were to be a double shoot drill could a guy just run every second opener with seed and every second with fert and do it in one pass? I would put a knife every second shank and keep the paired row as well. So I would have 3"/15" rows for seed and 18" rows for fert. Or could switch them opposite for different crops. The seed fert would be 7.5" horizontal separation, is this to far?

I wouldnt be opposed to doing the same thing on a 7.5" spacing drill if it would work. Would have rows of 3"/12" spacing and 15" spacing instead. Seed fert would be 6" of horiztonal separation. Going to a drill with narrower spacing to do this would blacken the soil a bit more to help it warm up where I am but would be less trash flow I guess.

I grow canola wheat oats soybeans, thinking of trying to work in some barely and rye perhaps flax in the future as well. I'm on a mk tillage program, being about the only tillage I do is my fall banding fert unless I need to deep till for some reason.

What's the downside to doing this besides the wide spacing for cereals? Is trash clearance going to be a issue going to a 7.5" spacing and pretty much zero tilling?

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
I think its a really good idea, but generally you want fert lower. Can you lower the fert shanks? Longer knives?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only problem I can see with putting fert lower would be that if I want to use the knife for seeding soys or something on 15" spacing with the knifes they would be lower than the paired row where the fert/innoculant would come out. Maybe that's not a big concern because of the amount of fert used for soys?

Or maybe I'm thinking wrong and I should have a paired row for fert and the knife for seed? Would suck having cereals on 15" rows I would think with weed pressure?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's really about the biggest concern I have with it as well is the 15" spacing. I've thought of mid rows. Not sure if I like them yet or not, keep going back and forth on it.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Only problem I can see with putting fert lower would be that if I want to use the knife for seeding soys or something on 15" spacing with the knifes they would be lower than the paired row where the fert/innoculant would come out. Maybe that's not a big concern because of the amount of fert used for soys?

Or maybe I'm thinking wrong and I should have a paired row for fert and the knife for seed? Would suck having cereals on 15" rows I would think with weed pressure?
There are studies that show shallow banding N can be worse than broadcast N. In soys you probably wouldnt be putting N so fert higher up shouldnt be an issue but im pretty sure you will want the innoculant in the seedrow...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've heard that before as well, I guess I assumed that was more shallow banding in the fall maybe I'm wrong. And ya I guess innoc would go down the seed row anyways.

How much separation does a guy need between canola and fert to be safe at 100 actual pounds of N?

Weed pressure aside, is there a huge yield difference between say 7.5" spacing and 12"? Or 9" and 15"?

·
Registered
412 Posts
This past year I drilled my N in with my 1890 3 inches deep. Went back over it with canola and p and s 140 n 25 p 20s. Went at a slight angle with the N. when directly above the drilled n it fried the canola seed. Maybe two per square foot survived. Crop looked very shabby until the canopy closed. At swathing it was in noticeable as the canola had branched so much to fill in the space. Drilling the N has never been a problem before but being so dry it was too toxic right above the bands of N. I’d say two inches away from the seed would be sufficient in moist conditions.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have set up a 5710 to be able to double shoot like you have described for soybeans. But that was so I could band maintenance levels of P and K one pass. For shallow seeded crops like canola, I agree that your N would be too shallow.
Just my $.02 but based of what you have mentioned, I would switch your whole drill to knives. Continue to band your N in the fall. Sow your soybeans in 18" rows and everything else in 9". IMO the best way to make a "C" shank hoe drill as accurate as possible, is by seeding with narrow openers.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Canola yielded very reasonable considering how dry we were. Averaged 54 bushels. I’ve found if I have 5 healthy plants per square foot my crop is better than if it’s at the 10-12 plants to the foot. I seed at 31/2 to four pound an acre depending on seed size and have never been worried about plant count.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts