The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are having trouble with the variable drive belt breaking(some times more than once a day) on our combine and this morning it took the cylinder belt with it. We have changed the cylinder bearings, primary counter shaft and bearings,the sheaves on both ends of the belt have been gone through. Has anyone any idea of what else to look for. This evening the belt flipped inside out and jumped out of the bottom sheave, and sliced the belt. The pulleys are running in-line.

·
Registered
718 Posts
You could check the sheave gap on the lower sheave. I can't remember off the top of my head what it is supposed to be but your dealer should be able to tell you. I think it is supposed to be 5/16" but you'd better check.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah the gaps have all been checked as well. This is only the second belt this year but we had the same trouble last year.

·
Registered
718 Posts
There are two belts for that combine. H161339 is the heavy duty and H113749 is the regular. When i worked for Deere one of these belts were giving trouble but can't remember which one it was for sure.

·
Registered
321 Posts
you need to check and set the TOP and bottom sheave gap to specs and I wouldn't be a bit suprised if there are some issues with the bottom variable sheave even if it has been "gone thru"

jd

·
Registered
2 Posts
do u have dual range cylinder? we had the same problem with a 6600 with single range cylinder in canola when we were running as slow as we could go the belt gets wedged in the bottom sheave and it wont slip when u run a slug in and then it just breaks it everytime we just run a little fast speed 2 get the belt off the bottom of the sheave

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had the same problem last year on my 7720 II. Tried things like you did. The last time, which has worked for 200 hrs., was to change the upper outer sheave. It had a grove in it. It wasn't much, could hardly detect it, but that seemed to be the culpret. JD doesn't make that part anymore so you are stuck with finding a good salvaged one.

As stated, the gaps are important, too. I know how frustrating it is to tear it all apart and put it back together just to have it break again.

Good luck. SilverDollar

·
Registered
346 Posts
This may seem like a dumb reply but make sure u grease th top sheave until grease comes out of those plugs, it will take alot of grease, also when u service it make u run it from the minimum rpm to the max rpm. when i had a 8820 this helped alot, ps I also got alot better at swathing canola

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well we only broke one belt on it this year so I'm not sure what was going on with that. We had about 40 acres left of barley and we traded it on a 9600, so at least we have some more capacity for next year. Thanks for the replies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts