Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought two 2014 John Deere 690 combines, and we are driving them 700 miles from Regina Saskatchewan, to Three Forks Montana pulling 40ft macdon drapers behind them.

We are wondering what problems we might encounter driving them that far.

·
Registered
694 Posts
flat tires, other than that nothing much really that comes to mind, it'll take you a long time though. maybe inflate tires a bit for wear, but not too much as you will hate the bouncing from no header on the combine

·
Registered
346 Posts
Neighbour drove his New Holland basically across Ontario a few years ago. Approx. 19 hours taking the cow pass trails. Didn't have any troubles. 17 year old son drove most of it. Was careful to watch trans and final drive temps on hills and would stop and let things cool if needed.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Your tolerance for psycho drivers on the highway must be quite high. I’m guessing it would cost around 3% of the value of your equipment to get it hauled. At the very least I would get a quote.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The hours you will put on combine x $x/ hr depreciation might be very close to your trucking quote. Then there's the insurance factor, if something terrible happens. Trucking companies carry insurance and that combine is alot safer ( from idiots)on a trailer doing the speed limit.
A relative of mine (Canadian tryingto enter US) was turned around at U.S. border a month ago. He was going down for business (agricultural).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Since 2009, I have a combine with another farmer in another area. About 280 km = 175 miles between the 2 farms.
He makes wheat, barley and canola, I make corn and soja.
So 1 time go and return pro year.
No problem with the combine. ( S560, S670 2012, S670 2016, S770 ).
The combine harvest 900 ha/year = 2300 acres.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I wouldn't drive any high value piece of farm equipment that far. As mentioned the extra hours, huge tire wear, what if you do get stopped on the side of the hiway with a breakdown? I don't even drive my combine at WOT when moving 5 miles around home in harvest time. That has to be extremely hard on the engine and specially the hydro running full speed for a long time. That heat buildup is friction = wear. Can you even idle the engine down to 1700 rpm? My Lex 590 had a program that in road gear it idled down the engine proportionally to ground speed. About 15-1800 if you drove 12-15 mph.

I think the Can- US border is closed. Period. But I would check for sure if they deem this an "essential service". Maybe. Nobody seems to think grain is very important based on the price of it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
The hours you will put on combine x $x/ hr depreciation might be very close to your trucking quote. Then there's the insurance factor, if something terrible happens. Trucking companies carry insurance and that combine is alot safer ( from idiots)on a trailer doing the speed limit.
A relative of mine (Canadian tryingto enter US) was turned around at U.S. border a month ago. He was going down for business (agricultural).
Do many people look at engine hours on a combine? I doubt they will have the separator engaged for the trip. 35-40 extra engine hours in the long run isn't very much.

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
If you decide to drive it I would try pick a cooler or rainy day to do it. A hot summer day would not be desirable. Like Jcalder said a few more engine hours is not going to matter much.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
What happens if you get to the boarder and they say the machine isn't clean enough? Have heard they can be pretty picky, no first hand experience.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Maybe I missed it but are these machines coming from a dealership, private sale or an auction like Richie Bros? Not to say anything bad about auctions or private sales, but personal experience has told me that there is a higher likely hood of problem machines being sold at an auction, and its kind of a crap shoot with private sales as well. A good dealer should be up front if there are issues, that they know of. My experience has shown me that some equipment, I'd hazard a guess of 50% of auction equipment has some underlying issue. Its made to look and sound good, and then sold to some unsuspecting sucker. If it came from an auction, just because they start it up and run it a few feet or threw a ring, that doesn't mean that its going to make it 700 miles down the road. There is guys out there that can break an anvil with a rubber mallet, and some of those guys run equipment. If it came from an auction, I'd at least send it to a dealer and have them do an inspection on things, maybe change some oils and filters. I can't see running down the road being harder on a machine than running threw the field. The only thing is that if you break down in the field, you don't have to worry about traffic.

Personally, I'd have them trucked, but you seem to have your mind made up so best of luck on your travels, I'd for sure be checking with the boarder if they are going to allow you across. Make sure your insurance will cover you if you happen to get into an accident.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts