• Our

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,244 Posts
was a whole other thread on this a few days ago, I can smell whats left of the decomposing horse from here, poor ******* got beat up pretty good already lol

·
Registered
940 Posts
Do you truck or drive yours to Trochu Motors 712?
About 55 km I’d guess.
AHC 83 for me.
Same shinny Pete that hauled your drill to Lethbridge hauls our combine back and forth. Well the same company. Your about right on the distance. Its about 3 km less to Trochu than it is to AHC. I don't think I'd want to run a combine down 27 with the way people drive that road. Trying to figure out a route on gravel would add somewhere around 20km since there isn't really a straight threw road north of 27 that would go to Trochu. Besides if its on a truck and something happens, its there insurance not ours.

Our Biggest problem is the number of acreage owners that have moved out from the city and have no idea how to behave around farm equipment. The number of narrow misses we have had in the last 5 years probably out numbers the prior 25 years. They just don't get the fact that this equipment is slow, heavy, and probably costs as much or more than there house. And if they run into me, chances are their day is going to be much worse for their health than mine.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Same shinny Pete that hauled your drill to Lethbridge hauls our combine back and forth. Well the same company. Your about right on the distance. Its about 3 km less to Trochu than it is to AHC. I don't think I'd want to run a combine down 27 with the way people drive that road. Trying to figure out a route on gravel would add somewhere around 20km since there isn't really a straight threw road north of 27 that would go to Trochu. Besides if its on a truck and something happens, its there insurance not ours.

Our Biggest problem is the number of acreage owners that have moved out from the city and have no idea how to behave around farm equipment. The number of narrow misses we have had in the last 5 years probably out numbers the prior 25 years. They just don't get the fact that this equipment is slow, heavy, and probably costs as much or more than there house. And if they run into me, chances are their day is going to be much worse for their health than mine.
Your are so right about folks ignoring or not respecting farm equipment on the road. You know every time I turn left from a highway onto a field approach I hope to god they respect my signals. You would think signals on the air cart, disc drill and tractor would be good enough to acknowledge a turn. Apparently not, A couple of close calls and a few fingers is all the farmer gets.!
No way would I go 700 miles and risk what my neighbour went threw. Load up your insurance policy before you go is all I can say! .
Good point about the diesel use , and maybe want to check which card lock fuel stations along your path are open and have a hose long enough to reach to your filler cap on the combine.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Hell can you even cross the border? Don’t think us Canadians can cross unless it’s driving freiggt

·
Registered
216 Posts
Also what route is this guy planning on taking? Go down hwy #1 as far west as he can go? Seems like a busy highway to run two combines and headers at 18mph? So go to secondary highways? South of Moose Jaw by Mossbank? if I remember correctly that hwy is narrow and brutal. Down hwy 6? Lots of heavy truck traffic on that road that I don't think I'd want to be driving that with a combine. Also no towns really to refuel. Then the roads by Swift Current in that corner to the border are not very good either are they?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I worked from 79 to 85 for a father,son, and stepson that at most had 6 combine between them and did a lot of outside cutting besides their own.Was not uncommon to go out on the main 4 lane highway from 20 to 80 miles. Only one time did we have a near miss. But it seem drivers have less and less common sense,but California drives have been called worse than many my whole life.

Now is harvest time here and 90 F is normal,never had any heating up issues with engine or hydro's. Yes a bit more tire wear,if not pumped up,and common to run them soft. All sidehill leveling machines and they stay on the hill much better soft than hard.

So I don't think Luke is crazy to do this,but not volunteering to drive one for him ether. About the roads and traffic I don't see that much difference driving or hauling. Narrow bridges and over passes when traffic cannot get around will be the same. I would want a pilot car in the rear ether way on a multi lane highway in ether case.

I know nothing about the boarder crossing,but know a trucker that posted pictures of crossing oversize industrial equipment since the covid outbreak. Even a picture of his small dog,which some commented on. Said he put him in the sleeper and never declared him. Yes he was on his side of boarder before posting pictures.

I hope Luke reports how it all turns out. ;) But if the boarder crossing is hard may turn into a stealth mission and have pay farmers to go cross country and sneak in.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I worked from 79 to 85 for a father,son, and stepson that at most had 6 combine between them and did a lot of outside cutting besides their own.Was not uncommon to go out on the main 4 lane highway from 20 to 80 miles. Only one time did we have a near miss. But it seem drivers have less and less common sense,but California drives have been called worse than many my whole life.

Now is harvest time here and 90 F is normal,never had any heating up issues with engine or hydro's. Yes a bit more tire wear,if not pumped up,and common to run them soft. All sidehill leveling machines and they stay on the hill much better soft than hard.

So I don't think Luke is crazy to do this,but not volunteering to drive one for him ether. About the roads and traffic I don't see that much difference driving or hauling. Narrow bridges and over passes when traffic cannot get around will be the same. I would want a pilot car in the rear ether way on a multi lane highway in ether case.

I know nothing about the boarder crossing,but know a trucker that posted pictures of crossing oversize industrial equipment since the covid outbreak. Even a picture of his small dog,which some commented on. Said he put him in the sleeper and never declared him. Yes he was on his side of boarder before posting pictures.

I hope Luke reports how it all turns out. ;) But if the boarder crossing is hard may turn into a stealth mission and have pay farmers to go cross country and sneak in.
Wait a minute with something you posted. You say that the machines are over size, but don't see a difference between driving and hauling? You seriously don't see a difference between a combine going 18mph pulling a header down the side of a road and a combine loaded on a semi doing 60mph?

·
Registered
96 Posts
No not a lot. It will take the same amount of pavement ether way. A distracted driver is as apt to hit 60 mile hour object as a 20 mpr object. Not that many more seconds to react.The speed limit was 55 at time,but the area was know as fastest between LA and SF on California 101 highway. As a good part of it is military base so 20 miles with only 2 on and off ramps. As I stated been on the 4 lane divided highway a lot of times in Gleaner MH 2 hillside machines. The divided highway was easier than well traveled country roads. Have not done it since 1990 so maybe drivers have got dumber. Being hill country, country roads are anything but straight.So on a country road hard to find a place with site distance to pull over and let cars by. Done let them by and you really get people mad.

We where never on the 4 lane in real heavy traffic. Had a pilot car in the rear with flashing lights and flags.Pilot car had a lot of room behind the last combine. The only incident was a stalled car on the shoulder and I counted wrong and started to pull around and, the car coming up went into center divider and never slowed down. Back in 79 and the old man did not believe to many modern conveniences . But sons connived him CB radio's would be good. Then last combine would say when to pull over and take both lanes. There were a number of bridges that were narrow and a car could not get by you as they never removed the 18 foot headers ether. They just rebuilt the last of those narrow places this year. But not many if any combines left. It has become vineyards.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Save yourself and everybody else a bunch of headaches and haul them

·
Registered
25 Posts
Those machines probably do 40km/hr or 25mph so in theory 2 days should have them home. If you have to travel on very busy roads then maybe overnight roading might be a good idea to avoid the worst of the traffic. As far as driving them goes they should be well able for it. Modern equipment is well ahead of the old stuff from 20 or 30 years ago.

·
Registered
657 Posts
There’s a real big difference between hauling and driving. Combines loaded on a 10ft wide trailer can hang over the shoulder of road or curb on a trailer. That’s never going to happen driving them.
Only guy that thinks it’s a good idea to drive them is a farmer who doesn’t value there time or what wear is going to cost down the road on those machines. I’ll put money on it those headers have at least one wheel bearing fail on that long of drive

21 - 38 of 38 Posts