Votes: 28 52.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought two 2014 John Deere 690 combines, and we are driving them 700 miles from Regina Saskatchewan, to Three Forks Montana pulling 40ft macdon drapers behind them.

We are wondering what problems we might encounter driving them that far.

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
Falling asleep.

What does it cost to haul to the border, drive across, then haul the rest of the way? I would think fuel and tires wouldn't cost that much less. I have never done it. Next question. How you going to get across the border to get them? I am told I can not go up there to get parts. I can have someone drive them to the border for me then I MIGHT be able to get the parts. They letting you across?

·
Registered
540 Posts
I went across to pick up a truck I purchased. Just make sure you stress that it's for business. This was the end of March. Should be more open now?

·
Registered
939 Posts
They extended the boarder restrictions another month, to July 21.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I drove my combine 6 hours each way to a job this fall. My biggest issue was road construction forced me off my planned route and I almost got stuck on a crappy backroad, had to rock back and forth and did 4 miles in low gear at 6mph. So I'd say route planning would be my biggest concern. Other then that I just had a page on my monitor with roading specific temperatures and pressures, and stopped every 2 hours to check final drives and a general walk around. Probably did 400 road miles this year.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Power train wear alone would be extreme
I have shipped equipment to USA last week trucker had no problem at border

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Reverse the tires. It will help the wear and ride smoother on a hard surface. I'd overinflate, as you want as little tire touching the road as possible. But I also agree....700 miles....fuel, time & tire wear is gonna easily pay trucking. I drove a combine 200 miles once, the tires probably lost 1/4 of their tread, and that was reversed.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hope your insurance is paid up. I would check on hauling for sure. Rear axles running that far is probably not good if they are 4WD even if it's turned off. Check the oil in the final drives and make sure they are properly filled with good oil and grease final drives every time you stop for breaks. If you do have to go that far get different tires on front and rear to save wear. Otherwise you'll have slicks when you get to where you are going.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One of the reasons that we are driving them is that we still have to get the headers even if we haul the combines.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Headers tow with pickups wayyyy easier man. We've towed several macdons from South west Sask/northern AB to central MB which is about the same distance.

My old man drove a new combine home 200 miles and the engine starting using a pail of oil per day once we finally put a load on it. Figured it didn't like the no-load 18 hour break in of roading. I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
582 Posts
trucking out fits are always looking for a back haul I think this a broker. Americian dealers have used them, they are not a trucking co, but they dispatch a back haul. Its worth a try even for the headers, some do it for minimuim and better than going empty its pretty cutthroat out there now. WORLDWIDE ISCS

·
Registered
238 Posts
I don't think you will have any problems driving them across the border just show them a reciept and tell them you own them, but I would still have them hauled to the closest border crossing and have a another truck waiting on the US side

·
Registered
385 Posts
When I bought my combine 5 years ago I think around $2500cad to haul it 550 miles with a pilot vehicle. The pilot vehicle might be able to tow your header?

·
Registered
544 Posts
As to the air pressure in the tires, you need to get a tire loading table for the tires that are on the combine. It is the sidewall flex that creates heat and damages the tire. Too much air and it bows the center of the tire out and wears off the center of the lugs. You need to know the weight that each tire is carrying and the speed you want to go and the tire info book will tell you how much air to put in them.

MacDon headers can be loaded onto flatdeck trailers and hauled or you can get a header trailer with suspension and place the headers on it to travel and then sell the trailer later. You don't need to use the slow speed transport.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts