The Combine Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
I would say that the new "whale tail" spreader on the 30 series is a definite improvement over the prior machines. It has an adjustable plate under the spreaders instead of those tines. Straw/chaff spreading in not an issue on the 30 series from what I have seen.

Careful to not run over 420 RPM though, adds to grain loss.;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
We really like the dual disc spreaders. They are simple and do not require a lot of adjustment. They spread residue ALOT more even then the whale tale spreaders. Especially grain loss. (just like a Deere or a Gleaner) ;) They never plug in green straw or weedy conditions. We run 35 ft headers. The dual disc spreaders are not affected by wheat stubble height like the whale tales are. Plus you can slow down the spreaders in corn and not throw cobs all over the road or someone's yard when opening up a field.

The only advantage I see to the whale tale spreader would be if you have a 45 header they might spread the straw further especially in thin crop conditions. But I am betting the residue would not be evenly spread. it would be light in the middle and heavy on the outside.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Just for clarity here: "Whale Tail" = vertical spinners and "twin disc" = horizontal spinners like older 1480 to 2588 had??? That is the way I understand this.

·
Registered
38 Posts
^ this is the problem with the whale tail. You get two big windrows about in line with the gauge wheels. Also it's hard to get grain loss out very far. I just don't know how much distance the twin disc will spread.
The twin disc will spread grain loss out pretty evenly. When you throw straw, chaff and grain horizontally the grain goes the furthest. When you try and throw it vertically down towards the ground and out like the whale tale does the grain comes out first and never makes it beyond the wheel tracks. The newer whale tails on the 30 series do catch some of the grain and throw it out because they no longer have the wires to throw it thru.

Here is a picture of some paddles I made to improve spreading when spreading long green stem straw to dry it out for baling. The regular paddles hook straw and regurgitate it in my opinion. they MIGHT also increase distance of spread in chopped dry condition's,

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
We have never been happy with the spread of our vertical spinners....they do indeed plug at night when you have to turn the speed down to keep it from throwing it into the standing pass, and then it's to slow and plugs. Always leaves two windrows and nothing in the middle. Our 8230 is slightly better than the old 7010 design, but see no difference between the 8120. I don't care how much we fiddle with it, it never leaves an even distribution. Pass for pass it's easy to see where the Deere went and where the Case went, especially in the evening. (makes for an easy comparison for grain loss as well after the season, you know what machine was where)

Quit the fiddling (I got tired of it too) and get the horizontal spreader. The cases do not leave any more grain then a Deere. The Deere's just chop the grain and spread it better then a vertical whale tail spread does.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
I'm tired of the whale tail spreaders plugging in weeds
We have never been happy with the spread of our vertical spinners....they do indeed plug at night when you have to turn the speed down to keep it from throwing it into the standing pass, and then it's to slow and plugs.
I can count on one hand the number of times I have plugged a vertical spinner with anything, and that is with two combines over 7 years! You guys need to stop growing weeds.:rolleyes:

I had my "whale tails" next to all the major combines this fall and they did just as good of a job as any. Below is a picture in canola(the hardest crop to spread). Swaths are 36' and spread is even. Maybe not 45' but with 36' I have been really happy.:)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
The standard Deere chopper will create a significantly more even spread than a vertical spreader from Case will ever do. I've ran then side by side for tens of thousands of acres.....as you can see, many other owners here do not like the results of the Case either.
You have to admit the 30 series is an improvement over previous models???

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
In chaff spreading or bean pods, yes....the middle area is better controlled. The adjustable chute motors to change spread pattern fail repeatedly....they can't help if they never work properly. Case factory agreed they had a significant problem with the actuators along with actuators for chopper knife bank.
That....I find totally believable.;)

I only had manual ones.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Does anyone have any opinion on the dual disc spreader vs. the standard whale tail spreader? was thinking of going with the dual disc on my 7240. was disappointed with the whale tail on my 7120.
We have 2 Afx 8010s we switch to the disc style. Wow we love it. We have 6 paddles on each . Have to slow down in heavy residue so doesnt enter crop area

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.