The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wanted to build a dual grain auger for loading trucks. Basically take a 70ft 10" auger and cut it in half, and put the two tubes beside each other on a rigid undercarriage. A regular pto gearbox drive would be easy enough to set up.

I know bergen did something like this but that's too big for me. Not interested in a belt conveyor. I guess for me it's as much about a bit of a project / challenge i want to do more than anything else.

Has anyone done this before?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Hard part might be getting the incoming grain to flood both augers to run them full. Would be a very wide intake and have to be filled from a high point in order to flow out wide enough.

Would probably feed better if one auger was left hand flighting and the other right hand flighting set up so both are loading in the center of your hopper.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I was thinking that as well, you would need the flighting to be opposite, or one side would just overload the other. I think the better idea would be the Westfield U Troughs, and somehow manage to get the grain floating on top, rather than be pushed by the flighting screws.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Bergen was dual 16”. Was used to fill a grain cart that filled rail cars. Don’t think you have to worry about which way the flighting goes. Need to be able to have the flow. Not sure many hopper bins could keep a 13” auger full

·
Registered
735 Posts
I’m a sucker for diving into projects like this too. I’ve done two augers, and one self propelled belt. Of the three, only one ended up being a hit.
The pile of scrap and donor parts make it very tempting, but it is amazing how quickly new parts like sprockets, pulleys, hydraulic hose etc add up… and then end up in the very same scrap/spare parts pile!

·
Registered
649 Posts
any of the flat bottoms here other then those built in the last 10 years cant really do more then a 10" anyway. hoppers are a small percentage of bushels around here

·
Registered
796 Posts
Windmill I am curious what you are referring to when you said you made a floater?
Took a floater box, completely overhauled it. Put greenstar rate controller on and lsw tires on the frame and pull it with the challenger tractor and float on blends in fall or could do spring.
Was a big job way more work than i anticipated. The overhaul on the hydraulics alone took a solid week to figure out but its up and running now worked nice, just wish i build it for 20 tonnes instead of 12. Ill upload pictures tomorrow

·
Registered
487 Posts
Am I the only guy who enjoys waiting for the truck too fill !

Shucks- I still overfill and spill using a 8”

Take the unloading barrel off your combine and put a 8V92 Detroit on it… direct drive of course … that should fill your superB while you pour a coffee .. keep her red linin @ 2500 Rpm though … lmao

1 - 20 of 26 Posts