The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,338 Posts
They had a bumper pull & gooseneck model sold for $3500 each on Dec 3/2013.(not quite summer, I had to find it again on the Rb site) I've never priced one but it seemed like a low price. I wasn't online at the time or I might have bid. I just check the results often afterwards.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I bought 2 new Trailtech bumper pulls in 2009, they were 19500.00 each. The problem with them are heads are getting so big and heavy the double header trailers are getting obsolete. Befort out of Hays Kansas also builds a good one.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I finally found some info on Befort, the one I saw had a dolly in the front which would help maneuvering in and out of short/narrow field drives a little better than the Trailtech I think.

The problem with them are heads are getting so big and heavy the double header trailers are getting obsolete.
We would eventually like to have two MacDon 45ft FD75s some day just for that reason, I think when you compare them on Case IH's website to a 45ft Case IH 3162 draper they're 1700lbs lighter.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Trailtech will also put the front castor wheels on too, but more money again. We only use the doubles if we are moving longer distances. We find it quicker and easier to put drapers in transport and pull behind combine or put them on single header trailers and pull behind combines, pickups, or behind combine trailer. Two 35ft or bigger draper heads need a pretty good truck in front of them. One ton pickup minimum and pretty hard pull, best behind a tandem grain truck, bigger service truck or behind combine trailer. You can buy 2 new single header trailers for same money and will have a lot more flexibility.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Trailtech and Befort are certainly the most common manufacturers and are the 2 most professional custom harvesters use. However they are becoming less useful as heads get so big. Two 40 foot drapers now are pushing 25,000 lbs, and even a crew cab dually pickup truck has it's hands full moving them. I know at highway speeds in the hills a diesel dually usually won't even average 5 mpg pulling them. It's starting to be more common for single axel semis to pull those trailers.....they are horribly un-areodynamic!
Tell me about it! I hauled in 30 heads last year from 6-12 hours away and it gave my 08 Ram 6.7 Cummins 3500 a heck of a workout. Most hauls were a JD 635F, often with a Crary CWS and those air tubes drag hard. With any kind of cross or head wind it took everything the truck had to hold 70 mph and you could hear the fan lock up. You would never pull 2 heads at that speed.

·
Premium Member
4,338 Posts
Lets be honest an EcoBoost should not be pulling a 35' draper, your over 7700lbs plus the trailer weight.

Ive towed around our 40ft Macdon flex drapers lots and they don't pull that bad with my 3500HD Duramax. The biggest thing is keeping them under control and being able to stop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts