The Combine Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Done about a 1000 acres so far and not looking good. Looks like a poor 4 and probably a 5ad just loaded with fusarium wonder how much it'll be worth. Heard they might be buying by falling number this year who knows..

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Done about a 1000 acres also. Very slow chewing. Brigade straw is still green in heavy lodged areas which is more material than I've ever put through a combine. Yielding good every quality issue possible in sample except maybe sprouts. Hoping it to grade poor 2 good 3, don't think protein is great. More rain today and supposed to be more coming. Lots of 5 and sample durum being harvested around me, but have also heard of some 1 as well. Pense, Rouleau, Avonlea area I've heard is bad for fuz, as high as 30% in durum.

Did you use a fungicide, if so which one?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I heard someone around here had 25% fusarum. Our durum is not bad, most likely a #2 Our problem was we didn't get any rain from the July 1 to the end of August.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I have been told some elevators are rejecting loads of durum based on fuzz. I hope that is false, because that is scary. Imagine growing a crop that cannot be sold.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Fuz, smudge, frost, midge, it's all there. Early seeded stuff was very poor quality, into some later seeded stuff that looks a lot better, hope it makes a 3 and there's enough to blend the #5 into something better.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Fuz, smudge, frost, midge, it's all there. Early seeded stuff was very poor quality, into some later seeded stuff that looks a lot better, hope it makes a 3 and there's enough to blend the #5 into something better.
ya forgot to mention the smudge and midge buffet!! lol :rolleyes: all mine was seeded later and I sprayed some and the greener stuff really went down and had many broken off heads !! had lifters but didnt help much !! I was expecting a better yield will ave in the high forties, the stand looked like 60-70, i did not spray fungicide and think that may have cost me 10 bu!!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Lots of poor quality down here too. I have lots of feed quality because of sprouts and so do plenty of other producers. We hauled what we thought was good in and it still only made amber. Have never seen such a poor quality crop.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Here in SW Sask close to Leader lots of Durum grading a #4 or worse. Some of the later seeded durum is looking and grading better. We had some Vernona that graded a #2 and some AAC Marchwell Durum that graded a #2 with 15.7 protein.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Only put 160 acres in this year of durum. The weather made me glad that was the case. I haven't bothered combining yet. Should be the next thing to go.

·
Registered
233 Posts
we did a bit with prosaro (as we have for last 3 years....) for first time got yield response big enough to actually make money for doing it. fusarium all under 2% but seeing it hasn't been a problem before is a shock nonetheless. Prosaro field was defiantly the lowest for fusarium (0.25% VS 1.25 in check strip), frost is our major grading factor pulling down to a 3 and 4. Grew Transcend again, don't know if I would say I was happy with the yield, but sat out through at least 6" of rain since mid august and still was 92 hvk and low sprouts, so.......

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Our strong field is a 3. 12-13% protein. We seeded it last so maybe that helped a but. Earlier durum was a 5 on account of sprouts. If you have any 1 kicking around it will be worth a fortune. Shouldn't have sold a single bu from last year......

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've seen years like this where everybody thought the high quality number 1 would really be worth something. All that happened was the millers lowered the standards and switched to accommodate the poor quality. They didnt care if you had nice grain because all it did was throw a wrench in their system. I could be wrong tho..

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Our strong field is a 3. 12-13% protein. We seeded it last so maybe that helped a but. Earlier durum was a 5 on account of sprouts. If you have any 1 kicking around it will be worth a fortune. Shouldn't have sold a single bu from last year......
Unless you sold last year's crop at the lows offered, you probably are still going to come out ahead. I have 7000 bu of #1 HRS I decided to keep, I am starting to question that move as markets don't seem willing to provide opportunity, yet. Protein seems to be the ticket this year so far. We will have to see where the dust settles.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts